Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Is there an idiots guide to setting up and using garmin gps?
  • kaiser
    Free Member

recently got a fairly basic model (etrex H) and was suprised that the quick start guide didn’t explain things a bit better. maybe it’s my small brain but being unfamiliar with map datums etc even setting it to work correctly in the uk with OS maps seemed somewhat confusing.anyhow..I finally got it working (well enough to tell me where I am if i get lost) but would like to use mapping software in conjunction with the unit. can anyone point me in the direction of a site/article etc that would simplify the process as garmin’s accompanying cd seems terribly complex for a newbie!!

deft
    Free Member

If you get hold of the serial/USB cable for it there is a free program called EasyGPS for importing/exporting waypoints and tracks

I use http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm to get the coords for the waypoints I want then use EasyGPS to send them to the device. You can also import your saved track recorded on the Garmin to see things like the elevation profile

The Etrex H is best used with a paper map though, the trick is to set up that custom screen on it to show what you need at the time and you rarely have to fiddle with anything after that

kaiser
    Free Member

thanks Deft..that’s an amazingly useful website.
    also looking for general beginners stuff also

Digimap
    Free Member

The Etrex H is best used with a paper map though – rubbish.

Download the TrackLogs free trial from http://www.tracklogs.co.uk and have a play. The general strategy is to drag and drop points onto a digital map to draw a track. Print out a copy on A4 and stuff it in your pocket for emergencies. Send the track to the GPS then go out and ride it by viewing your position overlaid on the breadcrumb trail on the map screen. That’s it.

The datum needs to be set to OSGB (ordnance survey GB). All that does is tell the GPS that you’d like to use the same parameters the Ordnance Survey used when they drew up their maps. The GPS then usually assumes BNG which is British National Grid and gives you the familiar OS grid references albeit with more precision and zones which come as a suprise to some users. Not that the OS position is that relevant if you are following a pre-planned track, can’t remember the last time I had to use it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Is there an idiots guide to setting up and using garmin gps?’ is closed to new replies.