Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Is there an easy way to record component lifespan ?
  • I just got my Egg Beaters back from repair today and I want to record how long they last before they need repairing again.
    I’ve been thinking for a while that I would like to keep a record of how long my chain, sprockets, brake pads and tyres etc. last as well.

I’m currently logging all my rides on Endomondo, BikeJournal and Fetcheveryone. BikeJournal is the only one that allows me to specify which bike I was riding.
    I can add up the distance from any whole months, plus the individual days to get a total between any two dates.
    Is there an easier way though ?
    Supposing, for example, I made a note that I fitted a new chain on 17/2/2011 and another new chain on 17/8/2011, is there an easy way to get the total distance ridden on a particular bike between those two dates ?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I asume you have a bike computer of some sort. Take a note of the mileage any time you change a component. This may be too simple.

njee20
    Free Member

W…T…F…?

Just note distances in an Excel spreadsheet if you fancy being that anal!

damo2576
    Free Member

this a joke right?

wwaswas

Maybe just record riding time rather than mileage?

crikey
    Free Member

Write it down in a little book.

There are a variety of small books available, and a goodly number of pens, some in different colours, which would allow a coding system to be developed for different components.

I suggest a high street stationers, although it may be more satisfying to look at the range of both books and writing implements and the myriad arrays of colours on the internet.

Pencil is an option, but I would suggest some form of indelible ink based system to ensure accurate and long lasting storage.

IA

If you’re gonna get anal, it’s gotta be a big excell spreadsheet. Record everything that way.

tazzymtb

if you want to monitor stuff to that level of detail you need to do two things:

1 raise your right hand and slap yourself in the face
    2. repeat stage 1 until you stop being such an anal geek

😀

I wore out a £7 SRAM chain in less than 100km, £40 Rohloff chains last me a few months.
    I was getting through £25 Race Face bottom brackets in less than two months, the current £80 Hope one has been in there about at least 6 months I think.
    Why is it so unusual that I might want to workout whether more expensive components are worth the money ?

druidh
    Free Member

If you know all that already, why do you need to record it?

tazzymtb

if you are getting through kit that quickly I would suggest that sir has all the mechanical sympathy of a chimpanzee on PCP 😀

crikey
    Free Member

I wore out a £7 SRAM chain in less than 100km, £40 Rohloff chains last me a few months.
    I was getting through £25 Race Face bottom brackets in less than two months, the current £80 Hope one has been in there about at least 6 months I think.

You seem to be working towards the hypothesis that dearer stuff is better than cheaper stuff.

I suggest a small clip for your top pocket which will enable you to store a number of pens, yet allow easy access to them all.

DrDomRob
    Free Member

Google (structural) health monitoring.

It’ll give you an insight if you wana be REALLY geeky about it!

IA

Don’t forget to factor the time replacing components at whatever hourly rate you value your time at into your spreadsheet 😉

racing_ralph
    Free Member

**** me!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I have a little table I made up for this sort of thing. I record when I service/replace stuff and what it was like condition wise. :mrgreen:

But then I’ve been experimenting with different cleaning and servicing regimes for years – Now I can track which techniques make the most difference, whereas before I was trying different stuff and then forgetting. 😳

crikey
    Free Member

I have a little table I made up for this sort of thing.

I bet your approach to pens is a sight to behold…

wwaswas

I was trying different stuff and then forgetting

I adopt the same approach to trail obstacles.

There’s bits of singletrack I’ve ridden for years and never the same route twice.

I’ve tried giving myself a slap, but I just fall off the bike.

lucien

Back on track and not wanting to comment on your desires for doing this – Sports Tracks will do it for you and can also track miles, rides, GPS routes etc should you want to.

gothandy

There is a feature in SportTracks 3 that gives you this feature. I wouldn’t admit to using it on this thread though. Sounds like you might enjoy the logging potential of the software especially if you have a gps. Much better than Excel or a note pad.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I bet your approach to pens is a sight to behold…

😀

Its not what you think though. With a seven and four year old in the house there are about 60 pens and pencils stuffed in a ‘Fifi and the flower tots’ childs bucket. The pencils are all broken and the pens all have their points stuffed back inside the pen. Oh, and theres four or five paint brushes too… 😉

To be fair, it is a printed table, with big spaces for my spiderlike scrawl, and it stays in the garage with my product manuals. I don’t rush back into the house to type it up or anything…

Last month’s STW Endomondo challenge 3rd
    This month’s Endomondo challenge Curretly 2nd.

I weigh 95kg. By the time I get to work tomorrow, I’ll have done 1000km this year. I wear stuff out. I would like to know which stuff wears out at the most economical rate.

crikey
    Free Member

I was really hopeful up to this point with my product manuals then it all went wrong.

Bit like vampires; apparently the way to really upset them is to hide single socks; they hate that.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

With my wifes penchant for wearing my socks in seemingly random combinations, I would have died from stress or buried her under the patio years ago if it was a big deal. 😯

Truth is, knowing about my kit saves me money and mechanicals out on the trail.

Fetcheveryone allows you to specify which shoes you were wearing on a run.
    You can then go back and see how many miles you have run in a particular pair of shoes.
    They even did an article a while ago which compiled everyone’s data and produced tables showing the average lifespan of various makes and models of shoes.

There is a feature in SportTracks 3 that gives you this feature. I wouldn’t admit to using it on this thread though.

I think that’s the problem.
    Arguing about whether a 69 degree seat tube is better than a 70 degree
    seat tube for weekend visits to trail centres is acceptable on STW.
    Asking for advice related to riding a bike so often that you start wearing parts out within a couple of months is not. 😛

From the Sports Tracks site…

Equipment (shoe) mileage and use tracking

Thanks Lucien and Gothandy, I’ll give it a go.

Edit;
    I just clicked on the next page and…

Track more than two pieces of equipment
    Track your athlete history for more than 90 days…$35

Maybe I’ll try a DIY spreadsheet first.

bassspine
    Free Member

vampires hate it when you hide their socks?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I had heard that. 😛

toys19
    Free Member

MTG good idea and well worth it, whenever you read “lasts longer” “more durable” “longer life” written on here or by any journo you know that its utterly subjective (and hence meaningless pap) unless they have recorded it properly. I haven’t got the time or energy to actually do it, but I support your quest.

snowpaul
    Free Member

I salute you !!- I do similar high mileage mostly on REAL muddy / gritty all day rides – touring off road ( 6-10hrs )vs 2 – 3hr blasts round trail centres – and I burn through a lot of chains / middle chainrings and cassettes and bbs in a year – plus tyres. Not that many brake pads / rotors though!

I am light and ride ‘carefully’ and I just dont break stuff – it just wears out and it is getting to me – financially and also from a ‘ wtf ‘ perspective.. I do lube and I rebuild my bike a lot… I have gone back to steel chainrings to eke more life out of them and I use octalink / square taper bbs vs external etc…

I would love to see documentated realistic lifespan tests done in the mags!

oh well but thats dull and wouldnt sell a mag vs the latest designed widget…

maybe I am expecting too much….

lucien

MidlandTrailquestsGraham – get it, you won’t look back. If you use a GPS or HRM it can also log this data.

snowpaul, like you I was going through huge amounts of spares, and wanted to ascertain best value for money products to handle type of riding I do – that’s why I ride an Alfine now!!!

TooTall
    Free Member

Sounds like you got better at installing things and stopped installing cheap pish. Get 4 cheap chains, swap them once a week, they will last longer than a few months. Stop obsessing and accept that some things wear out.

gothandy

Graham and the other thing to bare in mind with SportTracks is that you’ll probably end up purchasing one or two add-ins to make it more specific (weather lookups, training load etc). So you’ll need to budget more than the $35 if you start using it for all your logging.

Not worth it just for tracking equipment usage but I’d say if you’ve done 1,000km already this year, you’ll get plenty out of it.

njee20
    Free Member

By the time I get to work tomorrow, I’ll have done 1000km this year

Asking for advice related to riding a bike so often that you start wearing parts out within a couple of months is not.

Less than 100 miles a week? That’s not really big mileage is it? I’m sure there are a lot of people on here doing more.

Doing it with shoes (or a single bike) is easy, it’s one variable. Where you are complicating it is wanting to note 50 variables, it would be a daft programme that could keep track of it all.

I don’t see why you don’t just make notes in any of the tracking programmes (or do it in Excel), just note “new BB” next to a certain ride, colour code it if you want, then when you replace go back and check mileage.

Don’t get it at all, there’s too many variables IMO, but maybe I just don’t ride enough to benefit from it!

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m not going to mock anybody – each to their own and all that – but Scienceofficer please post a picture of your little table for us all!

I’m genuinely interested.

🙂

richmars

To be at all meaningful, you’ll also need to record the weather conditions for each ride, eg, wet, muddy etc, since some things wear quicker if covered in grinding paste mud.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Get one cycle computer per component. Job done.

If want to measure the life of your cycle computers you’d need to get more cycle computers.

wors

I weigh 95kg. By the time I get to work tomorrow, I’ll have done 1000km this year

Those are roughly my stats, not changed a chain for months. In fact I bought a cheap carrera subway 18 months ago for commuting through the shite. I reckon i’ve done about 4000 miles on it and it doesn’t look that worn. Weighs a bloomin ton though, the bike not the chain.

flamejob
    Free Member

Face it; we’re all nerds and love this stuff, someone just needs to develop a smartphone app that has a list of component and the milage for each bike.
    I never know how many hours my forks have been ridden on my fleet so tend to over-maintain.

aracer
    Free Member

You do realise that for a component like a pedal, distance and time are worthless measurements? The only way you’ll ever get useful data is using proper instrumentation – a cadence sensor to measure how many revs it’s done, strain guages to measure how much force in each pedal push, and also a sensor to count the number of times you clip in and out. All connected to an app on you iPhone of course.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Is there an easy way to record component lifespan ?’ is closed to new replies.