Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Is there an "app" to allow you to call for free?
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Obviously facetime on the I phone is great but I’m not all that fussed about seeing my mate in it’s ugly mug every time we have a chat. Anything similar for just speaking?

chipsngravy
    Free Member

molgrips
    Free Member

There is on some phones and/or some networks – can’t remember which though.

Skype and google talk both do video and voice only should you desire it. Google talk is obviously a handy text chat too.

Skype will let you call normal phone numbers too at a cost – supposedly cheaper than mobile rates though.

sharkbait
    Free Member

My brother faves about Viber

chvck
    Free Member

Don’t forget that Skype and the like will use data so you’ll pay for that if it isn’t included in your contract. EE also will not let you use Skype for calls afaik.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Press the home button on a Facetime call and it’ll switch off the camera.

organic355
    Free Member

Footalk

nickjb
    Free Member

The wife and I use google talk. There is the option for video or just audio. I think it might be wifi only, though.

wrightyson
    Free Member

It’s to call a mate in oz, used to just use the normal mobile network but it’s up to 60p a minute now which is a bit harsh! I’m presuming he’ll need the same app.

sputnik
    Free Member

As mentioned above, Viber is free calls , need to be in Wifi zone and the other party needs to have it installed on their phone as well and you need to have each others number in your Viber contact list, but Viber does that automatically.
    Works with 3G as well but at your network rates.

patriotpro
    Free Member

I’m not all that fussed about seeing my mate in it’s ugly mug every time we have a chat

Put the ipad/iphone down and use the camera-flip button, problem solved.

brant
    Free Member

Viber, Line, Fring, Skype, Foocall (cheap, not free)…

samuri
    Free Member

If you’re a bloke then texts will do.

‘Alright?’
    ‘yeah’
    ‘ok’

if you’re having a seriously in depth, heart to heart convesration then email will do.

“My wife’s left me, the house has fallen down and I’ve lost my job”

“Bummer”

See?

molgrips
    Free Member

The wife and I use google talk. There is the option for video or just audio. I think it might be wifi only, though.

It’s not, at least not on Orange. Works very well. As for data usage, it’s negligible if you have any kind of bundle.

tonyg2003

I use Viber alot. It works well although it needs good wireless speed. It’s a bit less fuss than SKYPE.

seanoevil
    Free Member

TU ME – by O2/Telefonica – offers free texts and calls too.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Is there an "app" to allow you to call for free?’ is closed to new replies.