Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Is there an app like Strava, but without the gimpishness element?
  • no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Having tried Strava on my iPhone, I quite like having the ability to record my rides and runs, with height, speed, distance and route all nicely logged and presented neatly. I also like the way it archives stuff and builds totals for you.

But I’m not convinced about the way Strava inherently compares everything on a competitive basis with other users. This aspect is not entirely healthy for me in my opinion.

Are there any decent iPhone alternatives to Strava without this feature?

jekkyl

endomondo

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

You know you can set everything to private, right? Then your rides don’t feature in any tables.

thepurist

Isn’t there a setting in strava to keep all your rides private? That’d get rid if the comparative/competitive element.

nuke

Could just keep all your rides private on Strava

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Endomondo.. Oooohh..

I’d seen the ‘private’ option, but surely even with this on Strava will still tell me which segments I did well on, whether I publish them or not?

To me this seems inherent in the way Strava is focused, unless I’m missing something?

brakes
    Free Member

there is the Strava app, and then there are apps for the non-winners of the world. Are you a non-winner.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Lolz..

kristoff
    Free Member

I’m a non winner (obviously) as I use cyclemeter.

Been using it for the last year and a bit with no issues.

MSP

Garmin fit, if you later decide to get a dedicated garmin unit, all your rides are then in the same “ecosystem”.

lunge

Mapmyride does this I think.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I’d seen the ‘private’ option, but surely even with this on Strava will still tell me which segments I did well on, whether I publish them or not?

No, it tells you what segments you have ridden but makes no reference to position on the leaderboards. It records the times still, but doesn’t publish (even to you) whether you do a PB, 2nd fastest etc.

jekkyl

8 quid in wilkos, less on ebay.

chip
    Free Member

I use runmeter, when I can be bothered to record my ride .

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

No, it tells you what segments you have ridden but makes no reference to position on the leaderboards. It records the times still, but doesn’t publish (even to you) whether you do a PB, 2nd fastest etc.

Nice..! I didn’t realise that. Okayee I guess that’ll stop me from killing myself next when I hit a tree going down hill / have a heart attack climbing uphill… Next time I’m back on the bike, which may be a while now, having injured myself going over the bars last ride.

Now was it any co-incidence that happened on my first Strava MTB ride, I wonder? Hmmm… 😕

seanthesheap
    Free Member

Plan your ride using an os map, measure it with string, time the ride with a stopwatch, use maths to work out your average speed etc, write it down in a note book, job done. 😉

Militant_biker

I’m a non winner (obviously) as I use cyclemeter.

I’m quite happy to not win with Cyclemeter. (Also thinking about adding a HRM strap to enhance it)

jeffskowski
    Free Member

This works well. Used it for a few months until I got a Garmin Edge 200.

http://www.runtastic.com/en/apps/mountainbike

P20

I used to use motionx, though now on strava

asherh
    Free Member

Whether or not you like to prove how fat/fit you are, strava still seems to have the best UI of the ride recording apps I’ve tried

loddrik
    Free Member

I did laugh yesterday. Ride home from town, me on mtb with slicks but going at an ok pace, not fast by any means but not slow. Looked at strava when I got home. I came second from bottom of 319.

😀

I thought it was hilarious. But it does make me think that people take these times wayyy to serious. Luckily I’m not in the slightest bit competitive…

nick1962
    Free Member

I came second from bottom of 319.

loddrik make your ride private and save face 😉

bob_summers

RidewithGPS has some good features. It does have segments too, but pushes them less than Strava. If you’re purely interested in recording rides to see where you’ve been, it’s probably better.

loddrik
    Free Member

Aha, the plot thickens… Apparently I wasn’t reading it right. I was 220 of 319, apparently I’m not quite as shite as I thought…

bruceandlauren
    Free Member

Surely Strava is for the non-winners? The majority of users must be losers, by definition, with just a sprinkling of digital epo winners among them ?

aracer
    Free Member

But it does make me think that people take these times wayyy to serious.

How serious are we allowed to take them?

br
    Free Member

Luckily I’m not in the slightest bit competitive…

Darwin had a theory about people like you. 😉

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I get competitive on strava. But only against myself. How can I get competitive against the other riders ,when Ihaveno idea of what they were riding, what the conditions were when they rode etc. If I was racing I would know these things.

Pushing myself either in terms of distance or speed helps my fitness.

eskay

I use Sportypal. Good piece of software, stores rides in an account online but does not have leagues (as far as I can tell!).

yunki
    Free Member

Embrace your inner gimp.. It’s only yourself that you’re fooling

clubber
    Free Member

I use Strava. I’m one of life’s winners you see 😉

I do also use Everytrail which works well and has the advantage that you can take photos and they’re automatically uploaded to the website (you can set them private so no one can find them) from which you can share them on here like this 🙂

robbo76
    Free Member

Mapmyride is good for me.

solarpowered
    Free Member

+1 for map my ride! It’s great!

tomkerton
    Free Member

I agree with Scott mc, strava is the neatest software and I don’t give a rats a** what anyone else is doing a segment in, I care about how im doing on any given day.

Superficial
    Free Member

How can I get competitive against the other riders ,when Ihaveno idea of what they were riding, what the conditions were when they rode etc. If I was racing I would know these things.

Sounds like loser talk to me 😀

You can’t compare with 100% certainty, but on a segment with lots of riders, you can be fairly sure that the top 10% ish are all trying fairly hard, in favourable-ish conditions. If you take Strava too seriously, then yes, you’re an idiot.

But then again if you think you’re a hero for getting a podium on a local race, you’re probably also a bit deluded.

allez
    Free Member

I find there’s two types of people…
    1. Those who don’t mind whats on Strava.
    2. Those who get too embarrassed by their performances to like Strava.

Personally, I know I will never get some KOM’s around here on Strava, but I can aim for a target, say the top 5%. Having a slight competitive streak is necessary a bad thing as it can push you to achieve great things. It’s pushed me to become physically fitter and healthier than I’ve ever been before, which is not a bad thing.

I find Strava a great training tool, I like to use it as diary to log my cycling and running. What’s great about Strava is it encourages me to get out there… I can see when I’m slacking and how many rest days I’ve had, when people are out cycling when I’m not, it encourages me to get out too. Also it provides me with other routes people have done that I never considered before.

Strava also shows you who is a bullish***er. There’s a guy at my work who makes out that he is the cycling guru. But look on Strava and the truth becomes apparent on how little he’s cycled (4km on his commute to work).

ampthill

Am I right in thinking that does the ascent descent by reference to map data? Where as the alternatives like Sports Tracker use GPS data?

zippykona

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Is there an app like Strava, but without the gimpishness element?’ is closed to new replies.