Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Is there an American version of Wiggle or Chainreaction
  • Xylene
    Free Member

A colleague suggested today that ordering parts from America, would be cheaper than the UK.

Is this the case? Is there a US version of Wiggle or Chainreaction?

midlifecrashes

JensonUSA would come to mind. Customs and import duties would make it a PITA to use them from inside UK.

sweaman2
    Free Member

As above JensonUSA is the closest. In Canada though it’s often cheaper to order from CRC and pay the Canadian import / customs than it is to order from Jenson.

molgrips
    Free Member

Speedgoat.. but may be too downmarket.

AlexSimon

http://www.cambriabike.com/ ?
    (no personal experience)

As above. By the time you’ve paid Delivery, Duty and VAT, it doesn’t really work out well, especially if anything needs returning/warranty.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Not sure about the US, but I went to Canada thinking that there might be some bargains to be had – their sales tax is lower, plus – well it seems 90% of the MTB brands are from Canada or Cali.

Asked our chalet guy where the best place to buy some forks from – he said “well, they’re not exactly Chain Reaction Prices but…” he was Canadian, seems they have all their stuff shipped from Ballyclare too.

I’ve seen some cheap bikes from shops in New York (Sis in Law lives there) but there prices don’t include state or federal taxes – with some you could have it shipped direct to the UK and save those, but you’d get hit with import duty – some would old ship to SiL but then you’d get hit by local taxes and probably import duty as well.

The only way I really saw any real savings was to fly to NYC with an old clunker in a bag, buy a bike there and pay the local taxes, then fly back claiming you’d taken it with you – all sorts of illegal and if you consider the cost of the flights it just didn’t make sense.

GHill

From my experience living there (about 5 years ago), CRC was cheapest for most stuff. Jenson is good for the sale items.

In short, don’t bother.

phinbob

Yup, searching for parts here (California) often has CRC as the cheapest, but Jenson can bring up some bargains too.

honourablegeorge

PricePoint.com

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Is there an American version of Wiggle or Chainreaction’ is closed to new replies.