Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Is there a way to get round 'tethering' block mobile-to-tablet?
  • hora
    Free Member

Technomuppet here. 3mobile priceplan says no to tethering but it is all you can eat data.. Rather than wifi- can you simply plug your phone to the tablet to create a connection?

In other words is there a direct connection/way to avoid ‘tether’?

Its only £2 more a month – am I being a tight ass? (£29 v £31) – £31 allows tethering.

http://store.three.co.uk/view/product/ql_catalog/threecatdevice/2409;jsessionid=A76F121E82280D45C4B72D9ECE0C65B8?priceplan=PAY_MONTHLY

mactheknife

Hora, not a hundred percent sure this is what you are after but I use an app called Foxfi, it turns my phone into a wifi hotspots. Connect as normal with your tablet.

atlaz
    Free Member

I do wonder how they’d know you were tethering other than you using unreasonable amounts of data. I’ve done it with Three for a long time with no problems.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hora
    Free Member

I do wonder how they’d know you were tethering other than you using unreasonable amounts of data. I’ve done it with Three for a long time with no problems

It’d just be for web browsing/forums and yahoo email. Strictly no film or music downloads.

How would they tell? You set it as a wifi? That way? Or is it unusual amounts of GB use (over a threshold of acceptable use a month)?

I’ll just do £29. Its only £2 but hey.

luffy105
    Free Member

They can tell and if you only use small amounts of data probably wouldn’t do anything about it but if you started using heavily would then charge you. Somewhere in the T+C’s will be a paragraph about using tethered data or ‘off APN’ and the charges can be quite high. This used to be a big problem when people got clever with their BlackBerries and big bills ensued

hora
    Free Member

Got it- so how about a direct cable/connection? Running the signal direct?

joemarshall
    Free Member

They can tell by looking at the packet headers. It is pretty simple to do. Some networks do it for all users, some networks don’t bother except with heavy downloaders. It basically tells them if it came from a device other than your phone (ie. if the packet is being routed), or if it came direct. Works no matter what the connection between the phone and the computer is.

On Android, there are hacky programs that let you get around it, but they are a bit of a pain to use to say the least, and whilst they are hard to detect, if you took the piss and downloaded absolutely loads, they could still tell by looking at the data itself.

deviant
    Free Member

Just pony up the money for the ‘one plan’….for a couple of quid more they are fine with tethering and using huge amounts of data.

scaredypants

all you can eat

dozy ****! 👿
    because of that, I’m out

pebblebeach
    Free Member

£2 difference and you’re trying to find ways to get round it. Its spare change just pay the difference.

bluebird
    Free Member

am I being a tight ass?

Yes.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Is there a way to get round 'tethering' block mobile-to-tablet?’ is closed to new replies.