• This topic has 36 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by pk13.
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Is there a version of The Rules for MTB?
  • PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I only ask because I’ve noticed that my lid / shorts / shoes / kneepad choice changes depending which bike I’m going to ride, which reminds me very much of The Rules.

150mm susser – #enduro lid, DH shorts, kneepads and AM45-esque shoes.

29er SS – XC lid, lighter shorts (or even – gasp! – lycra. But not very often), bare knees and disco slippers.

‘All-mountain’ hardtail – bit of both of the above, depending on ride length and destination.

There’s obviously an element of dressing for the ride, but even if I took the susser on the local relatively tame loop I’d probably still moto-short and enduro lid it up.

Am I alone in this?

jam-bo

1: Rules are for roadies.
    2: see rule 1.

the end.

faustus

Please, no!

honourablegeorge

So you wear a bit more protection for rougher trails?

Not sure you have enough there to write a pamphlet just yet.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

So you wear a bit more protection for rougher trails?

Pretty much. And on a bike that’s more capable down them. I’d reason that part is common sense.

Not sure you have enough there to write a pamphlet just yet.

Agreed. But I also like the fact that it feels like it’s part of a ‘system’, hence the wearing pads on the suss bike when riding pretty ordinary trails. That’s where it starts getting a little more ‘rulesey’. Like wearing AM45s on platform-less clipless pedals just feels wrong.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Please, no!

😈 😆

handyandy
    Free Member

There are most certainly rules, though they are not written down anywhere. On this forum it appears to be anti-cool, and self congratulating, with added spelling/punctuation/grammar lessons.

nemesis
    Free Member

Unnecessary commas, handyandy 😉

edlong
    Free Member

1. Don’t be a dick.
    2. See (1)

mindmap3
    Free Member

The rules for mountain biking are made up by Hora as he goes along – no gloves in the summer months, no full faces or body armour in the Peak, bright clothes plus a Snata Cruz / Banshee etc maeans you are a fashion biker, frames should be on the small side etc.

scottfitz
    Free Member

handyandy – Member

There are most certainly rules, though they are not written down anywhere. On this forum it appears to be anti-cool, and self congratulating, with added spelling/punctuation/grammar lessons.
    i Agreed.!

nemesis
    Free Member

1. Be a dick.
    2. See (1)

hora
    Free Member

Fashion biking doesn’t get better than this 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

1. Ride bike
    2. Smile

MoreCashThanDash

I think Vulpine did some tongue in cheek rules the other week. Think they were referring to the “Vulpinati”. Will probably be on their website, but I think it was
    1. Ride bike
    2. Have fun
    3. Don’t be a dick

BigDummy
    Free Member

I recently saw a gentleman on a fluoro-orange Orange Five. He was wearing:

– white pisspot helmet
    – fluoro-orange goggles
    – fluoro-yellow jersey
    – fluoro-orange gilet
    – fluoro-yellow camelbak
    – Ronhill Tracksters
    – white calf-length socks
    – 5:10s

If there are no rules outlawing that sort of thing, there need to be. 🙂

andybrad

There has to be a rule about cake in there somewhere?

Leku
    Free Member

1. Wear gloves all year round.

cookeaa

I’ve always taken the velominati rules/ to be half tongue in cheek piss taking and half “No but really, you should follow most of this…”

MTBing is a broader church (IMO) and it covers everything from XC, to DH to Trials bikes and clothing and any rules would be in a constant state of flux as trends and Sub Niches come and Go…

The only clothing rules that might apply at present would be:

1- For DH Wear TLD PJs
    2- Enduro is Fluoro
    3- For XC basically dress like a roadie with the exception that a peaked helmet is allowed (but not mandatory).
    4- For all the Street/Dirt jumpy cool stuff, just copy whatever BMXers are wearing…
    5- If you’re not sure what niche you belong in Just stick to Black/Dark blue or brown baggies and a peaked lid and hope nobody picks on you…

The only other real point of contention would be when is a Camelbak acceptable, when should you use a bottle?

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

From the Surly blogs – not rules as such…http://surlybikes.com/blog/post/some_answers_to_just_about_any_bike_forum_post_ive_ever_read

Some answers to just about any bike forum post I’ve ever read

posted by Skip Bernet

Thursday, June 16th, 2011

If you think your bike looks good, it does.

If you like the way your bike rides, it’s an awesome bike.

You don’t need to spend a million dollars to have a great bike, but if you do spend a million dollars and know what you want you’ll probably also have a great bike.

Yes, you can tour on your bike – whatever it is.

Yes, you can race on your bike – whatever it is.

Yes, you can commute on your bike – whatever it is.

26” wheels or 29” or 650b or 700c or 24” or 20” or whatever – yes, that wheel size is rad and you’ll probably get where you’re going.

Disc brakes, cantis, v-brakes, and road calipers all do a great job of stopping a bike when they’re working and adjusted.

No paint job makes everyone happy.

Yes, you can put a rack on that. Get some p-clamps if there are no mounts.

Steel is a great material for making bike frames – so is aluminum, carbon fiber, and titanium.

You can have your saddle at whatever angle makes you happy.

Your handlebars can be lower than your saddle, even with your saddle, or higher than your saddle. Whichever way you like it is right.

Being shuttled up a downhill run does not make you a weak person, nor does choosing not to fly off of a 10 foot drop.

Bike frames made overseas can be super cool. Bike frames made in the USA can be super cool.

Hey, tattooed and pierced long shorts wearin flat brim hat red bull drinkin white Oakley sportin rad person on your full suspension big hit bike – nice work out there.

Hey, little round glasses pocket protector collared shirt skid lid rear view mirror sandal wearing schwalbe marathon running pletscher two-leg kickstand tourist – good job.

Hey, shaved leg skinny as hell super duper tan line hear rate monitor checking power tap train in the basement all winter super loud lycra kit million dollar wheels racer – keep it up.

The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

The following short answers are good answers, but not the only ones for the question asked – 29”, Brooks, lugged, disc brake, steel, Campagnolo, helmet, custom, Rohloff, NJS, carbon, 31.8, clipless, porteur.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

Sometimes, recumbent bikes are ok.

Your bikeshop is not trying to screw you. They’re trying to stay open.

Buying things off of the internet is great, except when it sucks.

Some people know more about bikes than you do. Other people know less.

Maybe the person you waved at while you were out riding didn’t see you wave at them.

It sucks to be harassed by assholes in cars while you’re on a bike. It also sucks to drive behind assholes on bikes.

Did you build that yourself? Awesome. Did you buy that? Cool.

Wheelies are the best trick ever invented. That’s just a fact.

Which is better, riding long miles, or hanging out under a bridge doing tricks? Yes.

Yes, you can break your collar bone riding a bike like that.

Stopping at stop signs is probably a good idea.

Driving with your bikes on top of your car to get to a dirt trail isn’t ideal, but for most people it’s necessary.

If your bike has couplers, or if you have a spendy bike case, or if you pay a shop to pack your bike, or if you have a folding bike, shipping a bike is still a pain in the ass for everyone involved.

That dent in your frame is probably ok, but maybe it’s not. You should get it looked at.

Touch up paint always looks like shit. Often it looks worse than the scratch.

A pristine bike free of dirt, scratches, and wear marks makes me sort of sad.

A bike that’s been chained to the same tree for three years caked with rust and missing parts makes me sad too.

Bikes purchased at Wal-mart, Target, Costco, or K-mart are generally not the best bang for your buck.

Toe overlap is not the end of the world, unless you crash and die – then it is.

Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.

Yes, you can buy a bike without riding it first. It would be nice to ride it first, but it’s not a deal breaker not to.

Ownership of a truing stand does not a wheel builder make.

32 spokes, 48 spokes, 24 spokes, three spokes? Sure.

Single speed bikes are rad. Bikes with derailleurs and cassettes are sexy. Belt drive internal gear bikes work great too.

Columbus, TruTemper, Reynolds, Ishiwata, or no brand? I’d ride it.

Tubeless tires are pretty cool. So are tubes.

The moral of RAGBRAI is that families and drunken boobs can have fun on the same route, just maybe at different times of day.

Riding by yourself kicks ass. You might also try riding with a group.

Really fast people are frustrating, but they make you faster. When you get faster, you might frustrate someone else.

Stopping can be as much fun as riding.

Lots of people worked their asses off to build whatever trail or road or alley you’re riding on. You should thank them.

MSP

1, when riding uphill, always slag off anyone riding downhill as not a proper mountain biker.

2, when riding downhill, always slag off anyone riding uphill as not a proper mountain biker.

3, Everything can be ridden on a 1991 rigid.

4, every development since 1991 is just marketing.

5, glare at everyone you see on a mountain bike, and then go on the internet and complain they didn’t say hello as you passed.

6, hate everyone with a better bike than you.

7, hate everyone with a worse bike than you.

8, hate everyone with the same bike as you.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

From the Surly blogs…

That’s awesome.

tang
    Free Member

I heard from a pro enduro rider that a gap shown between pad and hem of the short is unacceptable and is called ‘the **** gap’. This can result in a pic not being published. Was he pulling my chain?

neninja
    Free Member

Based on my own riding dress sense I’m glad there are no rules for MTB.

I do shudder though when my mate turns up for rides on his bright orange Orange Five wearing white, pastel blue and pink lycra bibs and no baggies but with massive Sam Hill 5 10s. That’s just wrong, I always make sure I’m riding in front. In profile he looks like a camp golf club.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

A good bike is one that is ridden.

cookeaa

‘the **** gap’

Bloody Swear filter! What letter does the naughty word start with? I can work the rest out from there thanks…

fasthaggis

ATBs were first ridden by rule breakers, free spirits and people that were a bit different.
    Now MTBs are ridden by everyone, so it’s as mainstream or niche as you want to make it.
    Rules or no rules ,choose what you like .
    If you need to constantly check/whine on about details, you are already lost.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I heard from a pro enduro rider that a gap shown between pad and hem of the short is unacceptable and is called ‘the **** gap’. This can result in a pic not being published. Was he pulling my chain?

I’t probably true of the photos, but not a rule for riding (who has shorts that short, but appart form 3/4’s they all ride up at some point). They probably avoid shots where the peaks fallen off the lid, or shots from behind when the riders shirt rides up and shorts have ridden down.

A bit like the helmet/no-helmet policy in some mags, it’s a fair bet that some Pro’s wear helmets because the mag tells them to, and others don’t on some shoots as the advertisers want them to look cool.

ahwiles
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – Member

who has shorts that short

me, no-one makes shorts that are long enough.

why are all clothes made for short fat people?

deadkenny
    Free Member

No rules except, ride, have fun, eat cake (or cheese straws / meat slices).

That and wear gloves 😉

and don’t go around publicly saying you’re going to dig this and that around Surrey 😛

or complain on STW after hitting a freshly dug gap on a Surrey trail and crashed 😀

chakaping
    Free Member

Possibly this has become a problem since pads got smaller and more enduro-y.

I put some of my favourite Dakine summer shorts on teh other day, with my Troy Lee KG4500’s and noticed this gap – then changed into a longer pair of shorts.

I wasn’t aware of the rule, just felt like a berk!

tang
    Free Member

Begins and ends with the first letter of my username

andyrm
    Free Member

Hahaha genius!! Almost certainly true re: photos I’d say – I know that a huge amount of the bright colours on bikes & kit in Enduro reflect the need to ensure the rider & bike really stand out in images for advertising & PR. In fact, I have had several pros and brands comment on the greater importance of social media, content, images etc than straight up race results in terms of value to sponsors.

edlong
    Free Member

I have had several pros and brands comment on the greater importance of social media, content, images etc than straight up race results in terms of value to sponsors.

Interesting in light of last week’s discussion on the (Team Sky) decision-making process on Wiggo / no Wiggo for the TdF?

mattsccm
    Free Member

Seems to me that a big one is that mountain bikes are cool, trendy and individual, bound by no rules and independent of thought. Which of course is why they wear uniforms, irrelevant of practicality, follow manufactures whims, irrelevant…etc and more and more ride on manufactured trails rather than up a mountain and down another side.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Seems to me that a big one is that mountain bikes are cool, trendy and individual, bound by no rules and independent of thought. Which of course is why they wear uniforms, irrelevant of practicality, follow manufactures whims, irrelevant…etc and more and more ride on manufactured trails rather than up a mountain and down another side.

😆

pk13

I went to a trail centre last week in a normal tee shirt no branding or eye bending colours. Oh the shame.
    I do like a nice pair of baggies thou.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Is there a version of The Rules for MTB?’ is closed to new replies.