Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Is there a trail/ track/ bridleway I can pootle around at Rhossili tomorrow?
  • MountainMonkey
    Free Member

We're off to the Gower tomorrow so my husband can have a surf at Rhossili. I've not been very well for a while and so haven't ridden for about two months 😯 . I'm feeling a bit better now, so was wondering if there's anywhere I could have a little pootle around while he's in the sea?

I'm not back to strength yet, and will most probably have lost ALL my winter-long acquired fitness :0( so it can't be anything too strenuous, so just a nice scenic footpath (that allows bikes) would be good.

Does anyone know of anywhere? We've been to Rhossili loads but only to surf/walk/go to the pub so any advice would be greatly recieved or I'll probably have to take my road bike 😐

crispedwheel
    Free Member

There's a bridleway that runs along the level at the bottom of the Rhossili downs, from the Rhossili all the way to Hillend by the looks of it OS map of area
    If you're feeling fit you could ride (or more likely push some of the way – we did), up past where all the hangliders launch off and go along the birdleway at the top of the downs, then go down the steep grassy downhill at the north end, and back along one of the two birdelways on the east side of the downs.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Thanks crispedwheel! I think I may know the bridleway actually. Thanks for the map, that's ace. It looks about the right kind of pace for how I'm feeling, I bet the views are nice too. Thank you!

midlifecrashes

We were in the Gower last Easter and I had a lovely ride doing all of the (non-footpath) bits of the Gower Way. From the car park in Rhosilli (or go back to the coastguard lookout above Worms Head if you're a completist) head back inland along the road for a couple of hundred yards, right at the church then on and turn left at the phone box (Middleton) Follow this road which becomes a lane past Fernhill farm on R. From here it swings R to follow fields through Kingshall and old Henllys farms, bringing you out in LLandewi. Use the road for this bit as the next bit of Gower Way is footpath and the ground is boggy anyway. Turn left up the road and follow it round to Burryalley, then left to Hillend(not the Hillend on the end of Rhosilli Down). From here you've got the whole of the central ridge of the Gower ahead across to Penmaen. Views from the top are fantastic.

Other than that, then as crispedwheel says there are a pair of bridleways across Rhosilli moor itself on the sea side of the ridge, starting from the path behind the church, and another on the land side which meets up with them at Hillend, it starts along the lane to Fernhill farm, as above. Enjoy.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Thanks Midlifecrashes. I'm not great at directions and as I'll be by myself, I think I'll probably go with the later option as I'm less likely to get lost! I'll bare the former in mind for another time though. Thanks for the tips and directions! It should be a nice little pootle!

IdleJon

If you are feeling slightly more energetic, ride along from Rhossili over to Llangennith, then use the road out of L'Gennith and climb left up onto Llanmadoc Hill. Lovely fast grassy downhill all the way back to L'Gennith.

Btw the surf at L'gennith looks horrendous atm! Loads of white water.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Thanks IdleJon. Shame about the surf… let's hope it improves tomorrow, otherwise it'll probably just be a walk for the both of us! Cheers.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Is there a trail/ track/ bridleway I can pootle around at Rhossili tomorrow?’ is closed to new replies.