Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Is there a Tiagra hydraulic STI/ brake?
  • scud
    Free Member

I have 11 speed Shimano RS685 shifter + hydraulic brakes on road bike and love them, but building my Fargo ready for putting the miles in, in prep for French Divide.

Being a Fargo and having that old problem of trying to bodge together road and MTB components, i previously just had 9 speed Deore/105 mix with BB7’s which i eventually killed with a winters commuting.

Original plan was to knit together 10 Speed Ultegra shifters, Ultergra front mech, XT 9 speed rear mech and XT cranks, giving 2 X 10 and was tossing up between TRP Spyres and the hydro callipers they do.

BUT, I am sure there is a Tiagra 10 speed hydraulic STI/brake combo now, so plan changed to using those levers with XT callipers i already have (from reading new hydro brakes from Shimano are Flat Mount) giving a lighter/ more powerful brake? But Googling Tiagra hydraulic brakes doesn’t bring anything up?

Can i get the following working together:
    Tiagra hydro STI’s (if they actually exist) mated to XT callipers i have.
    Ultegra 10 speed front mech i have
    9 Speed, long cage XT rear mech, which i understand has same pull ratio as 10 speed STI’s
    11-42 Sunrace Cassette
    XT cranks with Middleburn 40/28 rings

HELP

cp

here:-

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/shimano-rs405-sti-hydraulic-disc-brake-set-witth-rs405-calipers-10-speed/

BUT BUT BUT

The Tiagra 10 speed cable pull is no longer compatible with 9 speed/traditional road 10 speed, so you’ll need a new rear mech – at least current tiagra. Some people have mentioned the ratio might be the same as 11 speed rear mechs, so a road 11 speed mech might also work.

scud
    Free Member

B*gger!

Thanks for that CP. Will try and find an answer on 11 speed mech working

swanny853

I’ve been using a couple of Tanpans from Wolftooth pretty happily overall. One 10sp one to make a 10sp MTB mech work with 10sp roadie shifters and an 11sp one to make a 10sp MTB mech work with rs685s.

I did have a bit of an issue with the 10sp one where the cable started slipping round the pulley, throwing off the shifting. Emailed them an apparently they’ve tweaked the design to include a grub screw on the pulley to grip the cable. They insisted on sending me replacement wheels for both versions FoC, so I can recommend their customer support! I haven’t actually had time to install them yet- the 11 speed one is fine and the other bike has gone back to singlespeed for the winter.

djglover
    Free Member

Andy

If your easiest gear is 28 front 42 rear why not use 24 front and 36 rear for the same ratio and then use the Tiagra long cage rear mech which I believe works with a 36 rear?

You might need to use a different front mech though, but you could try 38/24 on the front for an easier jump.

scud
    Free Member

swanny853 – Member
    I’ve been using a couple of Tanpans from Wolftooth pretty happily overall. One 10sp one to make a 10sp MTB mech work with 10sp roadie shifters and an 11sp one to make a 10sp MTB mech work with rs685s.

Thanks Swanny, that seemed to be the answer, but it says on the Wolftooth web page that it works with all Shimano except Tiagra 4700 which would seem to support what others have said that it has a different pull ratio to other 10 speed stuff

Tanpan

simondbarnes

all Shimano except Tiagra 4700 which would seem to support what others have said that it has a different pull ratio to other 10 speed stuff

4700 uses the same actuation as the 11spd road rear mechs.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Edit: Ignore me, i’m an idiot 😳

Andy

Edit: I’m ignoring you because….. 😀

scud
    Free Member

simondbarnes – Member
    all Shimano except Tiagra 4700 which would seem to support what others have said that it has a different pull ratio to other 10 speed stuff

Do you know whether it shares pull rate with 11 speed MTB mechs too?

STATO
    Free Member

It certainly looks that way but has anyone had it confirmed, the shimano compatibility chart states it as not cross compatible with anything (as you would imagine). Would make sense if it were just an 11s mech with a modified ratchet in the shifter.

swanny853

Thanks Swanny, that seemed to be the answer, but it says on the Wolftooth web page that it works with all Shimano except Tiagra 4700 which would seem to support what others have said that it has a different pull ratio to other 10 speed stuff

Oh, sorry, I misread the original- thought you were looking for more of a general solution to ‘road hydros and mtb gears’. Even so, if you’re going to go to the hassle of buying the tiagra brifters, why not buy some 685 ones instead and have a setup that works with, well, most of the rest of the shimano world in some way or another?

Or look at sram. I never thought I’d say it after Avid brakes, but I would be seriously considering them for the cross bike if I didn’t already have 685s- wide range mech compatibility if you want it for single ring, swap in a double for touring/loaded travelling.

scud
    Free Member

It was just trying to get Shimano hydro shifters to work with what i have already bought, i have 10 speed front mech and 9 speed XT rear mech already, wanted Shimano braking (which i really like) using components i’ve already splashed out for really, on first read the Tiagra seemed to fit the bill being the 10 speed option, but it seems to be a bit of a bugger to get it to play nicely with the other stuff!

wzzzz
    Free Member

I ended up going Sram as all the Shimano options were a bodge. Shimano completely missed a trick with all their incompatibilities and not making a road pull mech that will do big cogs. Having said that Sram is different pull road 11 vs MTB 11 too, but at least they make road pull mechs that can do big cogs.

I have older Sram rival 2×11 hydros, both post mount.

I run them on a 1×11 10-42 with an apex one mech.

Works great apart from the acute angle of the cable entry to the shifter. Make sure you use a 1.1 mm cable and I used a flex vbrake noodle as my outer wasn’t flexible enough.

swanny853

It was just trying to get Shimano hydro shifters to work with what i have already bought, i have 10 speed front mech and 9 speed XT rear mech already

Fair point, just thought that given the expense of buying a set of hydros (685 or otherwise) the extra to buy a 10 speed mtb mech (second hand?) and get a setup that has some intercompatibility would be a pretty small price to pay?

For what it’s worth I used a tanpan to put 10 speed mtb gearing on my roadrat to go touring in france in the summer and found it to work perfectly well. Can’t find any really good pictures but you can at least see it here-

pic 1

pic 2

That’s 10 speed shifters, 10 speed mech and a 10 speed tanpan

scud
    Free Member

Fair point, just thought that given the expense of buying a set of hydros (685 or otherwise) the extra to buy a 10 speed mtb mech (second hand?) and get a setup that has some intercompatibility would be a pretty small price to pay?

You are right mate, that does seem the way forward, plus i prefer the shape of RS 685 to the 405 ones.

How did you get on with TRP hydro brakes? Need something that is going to reliable as hell for the race?

swanny853

I haven’t done anything to them as far as bleeding goes since I bought them in 2013, if that helps? I do think one of them may be due now though. They are a little clunky in that you have both a hydraulic and cable system to fail but it seems to have been a largely theoretical problem so far.

They are a little annoying in that they are designed to handle a few differing cable pulls and I think 10s 105 is at the low end so the lever travel is quite long- this was more irritating on the cross bike but quite nice on the road/touring where it makes for a smoother stroke. Put it this way, 685s feel very grabby after these.

birdage

Been having thoughts along these lines for ages. To the point where it actually hurts when I think about it. Got an old xtr 9 speed mech working fairly well with 10 speed ultegra shifters and an 11-40 praxis cassette with a narrow-wide oval chain ring.

Been contemplating swapping for a 10 speed xtr clutch I’ve got lying around and a jtek shiftmate. Am I looking for a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist? Not dropping the chain and shifting is acceptable. On the other hand the 10 speed xtr clutch looks pretty but the jtek feels like a bodge (though I haven’t tried it yet). Have a feeling that a goatlink would improve shifting but only works with 10 and 11 speed mechs. Why do Shimano make this an issue?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Get some Spyres; very reliable and adequate braking power. Will save you a load of hassle.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Is there a Tiagra hydraulic STI/ brake?’ is closed to new replies.