Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Is there a screw that goes into brick without a plug?
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

I need to fix something to brick near a stove so it's going to be hot! Am I right in saying that there's a type of screw that only needs a pilot hole drilling and does not use a plug?

wwaswas

these would do it.

BigJohn

If the load on the screw just pulls downwards, even a nail will do. If the load pulls it outwards I would always use a plug, or a Rawlbolt (all metal construction).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    coffeeking
    Free Member

Of course there are, this is what double glazing installers *should* use the likes of:
    http://www.xfscrews.com/window-frame-screws.html

Or these

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

We recently fitted some decking and there is a bolt that just screws into the pilot hole.

Called something like wonderbolt and available from decking suppliers – might be a bit over the top for your requirement though?

sharkbait
    Free Member

The load is very light (approx 1.5kg spread between 6 or 8 screws) and will be straight down.
    Rawbolt certainly overkill. Thought I'd heard about some kind of [special?] self-tapper that would go straight into brick.

Click on the link from my previous post, they are exactly what you're after.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Excellent……. thanks everybody, esp. FNB 🙂

5lab

also search for 'masonry screw' – screwfix sell them as well

wwaswas

my biggest problem with drilling into old brick is ending up with a hole that isn't about 3 inches across as they always seem to crumble at the first sign of a drill.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Start with a smaller bit, and try not using the drill on hammer.

chickenman

Thunderbolts work really well. Had some concrete screws from Screwfix that went into a 5.5mm pilot hole which didn't (like rather too much non-brand named Screwfix offerings!) work at all.

project
    Free Member

Go to your local B AND Q, and ask for some heat resistant sky hooks and a long weight to support them while they set.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Is there a screw that goes into brick without a plug?’ is closed to new replies.