Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • is there a running jacket equivalent to castelli gabba?
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

just wondering, my winter cycling has been revolutionized, as in i no longer freeze, since discovering castelli gabba and all that but now my running kit (various thickness base layers and a pertex shell) seems woefully inadequate.

anyone got any good suggestions for depth of winter damp weather kit?

avdave2

I’ve a Lusso Aqua Repel jacket that I’ll try running in at some point. I currently wear a DHB jersey / jacket for running in the winter anyway. I don’t see the need for anything specific for running and the rear pockets are a great place to stash hat and gloves as I warm up.

scaredypants

yeh, why not run in the gabba – or a lighter one (perfetto?) if you get too hot ?

mtbcoach
    Free Member

The Gabba jersey is made with Gore windstopper fabric. Have you had a look at the Gore Running Wear stuff? Seems like they make a few short and long sleeve Windstopper shirts.

lunge

I’ve never felt a need for a running jacket, I just get too warm.
    I pick a base-layer to suit and just get wet, I’m streaming with sweat within 10 minutes anyway. I tried using a gillet when it was really cold a few weeks ago and wanted to throw it away within 20 mins.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Uh yeah, windstopper or one of the many good copies..

bforbertie

Have just bought Gabba and love it on the bike, use this for running, lighter and not really water resistant but good compromise as running is usually a bit more intense;
    Rab venuts pull on

alanf
    Free Member

Get some lightweight gloves and run faster, you’ll not need an extra top then.

fifeandy
    Free Member

The Gabba jersey is made with Gore windstopper fabric. Have you had a look at the Gore Running Wear stuff? Seems like they make a few short and long sleeve Windstopper shirts.

This, although I think I remember reading the Gabba gets a 2nd DWR treatment.

Gore Mythos 2.0

dovebiker

Too warm for running IME unless you’re going seriously sub-zero as you don’t need the same protection from windchill. I use a lightweight Inov8 Pertex jacket over a synthetic thermal top – does me for a couple at hours at near zero plus thin, thermal hat and gloves.

davidr

I tend to just use a light windproof (currently a Ronhill one from a sale a few years ago) with whatever base layer is best for the temperature. The ones I have just now is water resistant but does a pretty good job of keeping me warm when wet.

monde
    Free Member

Depends where you are running. If you are just looking for a good jacket without a hood then the this INOV8 is serving me well on the fells.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/inov-8-atc-thermoshell-half-zip-aw16/?lang=en

nickc

I’ve never felt a need for a running jacket,

But you accept that others might though, right?

TomB

In the fells this time of year, an OMM Kamleika (sp?). Not cheap, but has been excellent. Only use in cold and wet, or cold and very windy, I get too warm otherwise.

surfer
    Free Member

Gore IMO is the best jacket available. Waterproof fabrics like Event and Gore Tex are a waste of time, runners tend to perspire much to quickly for the moisture to escape so best to have a windproof breathable jacket. Gore windstopper fabric is the best compromise. Bit pricey but you can often pick one up at Sportshoes on sale.

wilburt
    Free Member

I went for a run this evening, wore a ls base layer and a lightweight cycleing jacket as it was chucking down.

Got overtaken by a few proper runners wearing t shirts.

lunge

Reading back, my response above was unhelpful and a bit idiot-ish, my apologies.

My instinct is a gillet would work best but clearly I don’t know.

Stainypants

I often run with long sleve therm and a gillet in wi.yer works for me.

I bought couple of altura softshellls last year, they are vitually windproof and breath really well. They are now my go to running top in cold weather with t shirt or thermsl under if its really cold.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘is there a running jacket equivalent to castelli gabba?’ is closed to new replies.