Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Is there a reliable way to stop disc brake squeal in the wet ?
  • kaiser
    Free Member

Tried a number of things over the years to no avail. Just wondered if anyone had found a fettling technique that reduced squeal caused by water ? I suspect the answer is no from experience .
    ( awaits the jokers)
    thanks in advance
    Bill

Kryton57

Road brakes? Toe in really helps.

kaiser
    Free Member

toeing in disc brakes?

SirHC

People ride in the wet ?

cookeaa

Staying indoors?

It’s not really a big problem though is it?
    I’d rather have noisy but effective brakes TBH…

scotroutes

Use the brakes. Once they get hot/dry they stop squealing

tomnavman
    Free Member

Decent pads? If shimano, the cheap official Shimano organic ones are hard to beat at £7 a set.

baden

3 in 1?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

It’s not really a big problem though is it?

it is a massive problem if you’re riding anywhere where you might meet up with a horse – you really don’t want to be squealing to a stop – and possibly spooking the horse, which could then throw its rider.

in that respect discs were a big downgrade from my lovely magura hs33s…

lw246
    Free Member

Don’t brake?

Trimix
    Free Member

Use them harder for less. The heat soon dry’s out any moisture.

I did see some weird anti brake squeal device fitted to a Trek at a show once. Comprised of some metal and rubber thing that was supposed to cancel out vibrations causing noise.

lardman
    Free Member

I can’t add much, other than to say that my brakes don’t squeal in the wet. They make a bit of a grindy noise, but no squealing.

Maybe change brakes/discs/pads to see if you can eliminate.

IHN

The BB7s on my commuter HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWL in the wet. I suspect it might be the pads, cos I’ve never had it before.

olebiscuitbarrel
    Free Member

For a quick fix this is worth a try. Douse the disc and caliper in washing up liquid then ride dragging the brakes for a couple of minutes, rinse and repeat if necessary.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Is Copper Slip supposed to help here? I bought some but never fitted it (to the back of pads, I believe..)

submarined
    Free Member

What discs, and what pads? Some will just howl, no matter what.

13thfloormonk

The second most effective thing I did was buy the most skeletal rotor I could, a Magura Storm SL, on the premise that there would be less surface area for the water to sit on, reducing the ‘skin’ of water forming between pad and disc.

The most effective thing I did was remove the SRAM Level brakes from my Superfly, burn them, throw the remains over a rainbow, and fit some TRP Spyres. Still squeel a little but not so badly that they make paint run and passing priests to cross themselves…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Is there a reliable way to stop disc brake squeal in the wet ?’ is closed to new replies.