Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • is there a reliable way to extend a steerer (build help needed)
  • robhughes
    Free Member

hi all.just built up a trance x1 and hit a major problem.
    the steerer on my forks only allows me to fit one 5mm spacer under the stem.
    bit of a head wrecker as it took them off my other bike that i,m using for the build.
    there rockshox recon 351sl,s and have only just come back from tft after a full service and being set to 120mm.
    so is there a safe method to add around 20mm to the steerer.
    thanks guys.

bigdavevw
    Free Member

Hi, yea you can get a steerer extender, like an old quill stem it has an expanding wedge that grips inside your steerer.

Gotama
    Free Member

Deleted

uplink
    Free Member

This sort of thing – but I'm not sure I'd have confidence in it

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=3970

nuke

High rise bars or a higher angled stem would be how I'd be solving that fwiw

thepodge
    Free Member

what is wrong with having just 1 x 5mm spacer?

you could get an extender which is like half an old quill stem, but i really dont like teh idea of them

you might be able to get a custom frame builder to weld on a new section of steerer

new crown and steerer could be another (pricier) option

some people just cut a bit of old steerer and fit it in but that sounds like a accident waiting to happen.

or… going from your other thread, just use 5mm spacer. if you need higher bars then a smaller stack stem or higher rise bars.

backhander
    Free Member

Zero stack HS?

firestarter
    Free Member

im never understand on the lack of confidence with these as my bike used the wedge set up for years no problems at all

Dirtynap
    Free Member

high rise bar, but why the hell do you want an inch below your stem anyway?

Nothing wrong with extenders, they work exactly like old stems worked for years and years and years. The only reason no one uses them now is that the Aheadset was invented and it saves alot of weight etc

thepodge
    Free Member

Dirtynap – Nothing wrong with extenders, they work exactly like old stems worked for years and years and years. The only reason no one uses them now is that the Aheadset was invented and it saves alot of weight etc

and that steerers aren't designed for them any more

robhughes
    Free Member

so a higher rize stem and bars.
    it,s just that it,s a new build(today)and it feels really low to me.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Trance X feels shit with 120mm travel, loads of weight over the front/on your hands. 140mm is best imo

robhughes
    Free Member

rr..thats what i was thinking.
    excuse to buy some talas.. 😀

tron
    Free Member

Change the stem or the bars. A stem extender is a bit of a ropey setup and adds a fair bit of weight.

robhughes
    Free Member

r-r.i think i,ll stick my pikes on it and give a try for feel.
    i know there a bit heavy for it but it,ll give me the idea.

firestarter
    Free Member

robhuges i have a set of 09 talas that are mint if you like the feel of it 😉 recently serviced too

MSP

uplink – Member

This sort of thing – but I'm not sure I'd have confidence in it

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=3970

Got to laugh at the comment on there, smutty genius!

robhughes
    Free Member

how much firestarter?

robhughes
    Free Member

msp.great review.

firestarter
    Free Member

285 plus post mate or 300 to meet halfway between leeds and you to go towards petrol and you can see them that

i have someone interested at the min so they may be gone tomorrow tho

mwleeds

I'm not sure why it's not common knowledge, but it's possible to fit a new steerer if you have the correct tools/knowhow (I don't!). I believe marzocchi sell steerers that fit some rockshox forks. I have one friend that's done this to some Recons or Toras (can't remember which). He also had the steerer moved onto some of my Revelations that he was going to buy off me.

LittleTones
    Free Member

High rise bar.

To be honest the long head tube on my Trance X has meant I have put wide flat bars on mine. I use adjustable Marzocchi 44s mainly set at 130mm though which are slightly longer than Rockshoxs.

robhughes
    Free Member

just been up to where my bike is kept.
    visible steerer is only 33mm.what a bummer.
    only just fit a fsa 35mm high stem on it but it,s 0 rize.

rnewell1973
    Free Member

£120 + labour to fit a new steerer an stanchions. An extension would be dangerous. Reduce number of headset spacers and you get to keep your existing forks but you will have a better handling bike. Other cheaper options are:

Bigger volume tyres
    Higher rise bar
    Riser stem

Good luck.

robhughes
    Free Member

rnewell1973 any ideas on a stem thats 35mm high 10 degree rize and 25.4.
    off to the classifieds for that me thinks..

tron
    Free Member

You are aware there should be a 3mm or so gap between the top of the stem and the top of the steerer?

There are very few stems that short – there's a Sunline one, but it's oversize.

robhughes
    Free Member

tron.yer i know 3mm.looks like it,s new forks i think.
    at least i can sell the other ones as there mint and just back from tft.

firestarter
    Free Member

If the visible steerer is 33mm you will get away with a 38-40mm stem I'm sure tho a 35mm would be spot on. I've got 30mm showing on my ss and using I thomson stem that's about 40mm and its been fine

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

mwleeds – Member

I'm not sure why it's not common knowledge, but it's possible to fit a new steerer if you have the correct tools/knowhow (I don't!). I believe marzocchi sell steerers that fit some rockshox forks. I have one friend that's done this to some Recons or Toras (can't remember which). He also had the steerer moved onto some of my Revelations that he was going to buy off me.

Windwavve will fit new steerers into 'zochhi forks for around £40. They are a press fit. I have had it done twice.

some folk have diy bodged changing steerers but I would be very cautious about doing so

r

newell1973 – Member

…. An extension would be dangerous Why?
    Steerer extenders are a bit of a bodge and rather heavy but perfectly safe. After all we used to ride will quill stems and whats the difference?

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

Remove the travel adjust spacer from the fork to get it back to 130mm and fit a stem with 10 degree rise and you've got the bar height you want without the worry of using a steerer extender. (and don't worry about crown to axle height affecting handling, it's all crap. Dynamic ride height is what you want to get right, and at 130mm run about 28%sag to get it the same as a 120mm fork @ 25%)
    Extenders are not the same as using a quill stem, as the steerers were designed for it back in the day, but they're not now.
    I wouldn't trust one.

robhughes
    Free Member

skyline.thats what i,m after a 90mm stem (now 35-40mm stack)10-15degree rise.
    got an add in the classifieds which can now be altered. 😉

firestarter
    Free Member

Just be aware that the rise effectively shortens the length , just to confuse matters 😉

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

That's why Truvativ stems come in the extra 5mm lengths e.g.75, 95mm. I've found Truvatuv XR stems to be strong as hell as well as lower on stack height and cheap they come in 6 or 10 degree. Or at least they used to.
    But an Easton EA70 should come in 10 deg rise with low enough stack to do the job.
    If you can't get it low enough with just the stem, fit a Cane creek or even lower Crank Bros directset low stack headset, with a Thomson 10deg rise stem. Still cheaper than a new fork.

firestarter
    Free Member

I looked for one of those for ages then gave up 😉

robhughes
    Free Member

skyline. yer i know that one but the trance is has a long top tube so i,m alright there. 😀
    there,s a cane creek on it with a stack of basically nothing.it,s about 4mm.
    hahahaha.nice one fire starter… 😥

epicyclo

On-One are having a sale on stems. There's some 40º stems which will give a fair bit of rise, or you could buy the Cammish -55º stem from On-One and flip it.

mwleeds

Windwavve will fit new steerers into 'zochhi forks for around £40. They are a press fit. I have had it done twice.

some folk have diy bodged changing steerers but I would be very cautious about doing so

So would I 😀 , but that's because I wouldn't really know how to go about removing one and press fitting another.

What's the difference between press fitting a steerer into marzocchi forks and rockshox forks? I wonder why Sram and Fox don't consider this to be a useful service.

Edit: Well I know why Fox don't. By the time you fancy moving those nice fox forks onto another frame, you'll need new stantions anyway!

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘is there a reliable way to extend a steerer (build help needed)’ is closed to new replies.