Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Is there a plumber/shower expert in da house?
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

We need a new bathroom, and the shower we want to put in has contols like this –

The wall we would be fixing said controls to is a solid wall, not a partition. Is it possible to plumb the hidden pipes into said solid wall rather than just drill straight through to the other side, as that would leave said pipes displayed on the landing?

Ta muchly!
    🙂

midlifecrashes

Probably. Solid what? Brick and plaster? One or two brick wall, load bearing? Condition of the wall? You might even have so much plaster on it you could lose the pipework in there. I’ve done it with plastic pipe down to below floor level and a small hollow behind to allow for making connections. You’ll need to think about what’s holding the weight of the shower unit to the wall as they can experience quite a lot of vertical and lateral loading when someone bends over to pick up the soap.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Yes but its a total pain to do. You have to channel the wall to take the pipes – probably 22mm. Sort all the plumbing out making sure you have the fittings just at the right level / place / depth on the wall then replaster then fit your shower. total PITA. If you can find another way then do so

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Stoner
    Free Member

as TJ.

Maybe try surface mounted chrome pipe work from the ceiling.

mine doest come from the ceiling but I did have restricted pipe access so you get the idea.

tinribz
    Free Member

I has got to be easier to put up a stud wall against the solid one, just put a couple of extra studs well raw plugged to the wall in the right place so you can screw the shower to it if your worried about load bearing.

Or sandwich some marine ply between the studs and plasterboard & tiles.

BigJohn

If you can spare the space, build a false wall with 38mm battens and bathroom grade plasterboard. Get a proper plate to feed the pipes through to the mixer and tile over the lot.

Its what I did.

tinribz
    Free Member

Licence to make some fancy recessed shelving too.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Just raggle the wall and fit it all in.

I did it with ours. It’s not that difficult with the right tools and it looks very good. I stuck an isolation valve on the pipe just above the wall (ours is fed via a pipe in the loft) just in case.

Digimap
    Free Member

Those type of shower controls are explicitely designed for the case where the pipes are already buried into solid walls and emerge in roughly the right place. You usually get an eccentric type piece, hard to tell in your picture but could be the round backplates behind the nuts, which is rotated to make a precise fit. IMHO they are ugly as the nuts attaching to the copper are visible and can discolour with heat. A more modern approach uses the big round type mixer controls where all plumbing is hidden but you do of course need a shallow partion. I’d do that, then board it up with a tile backer board (like hardibacker), water resistant PB is not intended for showers.

Stoner
    Free Member

hardibacker is great stuff – my wet room above is lined with it.

FallOutBoy
    Free Member

I’ve use the shower mount on the bottom left of this pic and rendered the pipes into the wall. Looks fine once its tiled

FallOutBoy
    Free Member

Here’s a better pic.

search for ‘Deva shower plate R1500’ if you want one

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

OK, so it is possible then. Good. We will be employing tradesmen to do the job, but we have some vouchers we can spend on the shower and we’ll probably get that in advance.

Cheers all
    🙂

samuri
    Free Member

Falloutboy. We have exactly the same shower unit!!!! 😉

spooky_b329

I did it recently.

Chased out the wall, if its the same type of fitting as mine (valve body screws to wall then attach elbows to pipework) you need to give yourself some ‘wiggle room’ for the pipes. I chased out an extra 15mm or so towards the top so I could push the pipes back enough to get the elbows on. Luckily I also test fitted before tiling the wall, I’d put a 90 degree bend at the top of the pipes to meet the elbows, turned out the pipes had ovalised as I was close to the bend and the connections leaked as the olives couldn’t seal it. So I soldered some proper 90 bends on. I got a big car sponge and cut it into a long strip of foam to spiral wrap the pipes in case they decided to knock or get damaged on the brickwork. Then tiled straight over without filling over the pipes, grout stuck to sponge but still allows the pipes to be moved around a fair bit to get the shower on.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Is there a plumber/shower expert in da house?’ is closed to new replies.