• This topic has 12 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by jonb.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Is there a mountain bike to road bike ratio.?
  • stanfree
    Free Member

By this I mean I’ve just been out In farely boggy conditions for two hours and did approx 16 miles. On decent roads what sort of distance could i cover on a Road bike. ?

Your thoughts please.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

It’s exactly the same as the ratio between show jumping and javelin throwing. Hope this helps.

In two hours ?
    What’s your average speed on a road bike in miles per hour ?
    Multiply that by two. There’s your answer.

13thfloormonk

As a very rough rule of thumb, I just consider MTB kms=Road miles.

Boggy MTB kms=Windy Road miles?

It’s exactly the same as the ratio between show jumping and javelin throwing.

😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

shame on you unhelpful STW – mind you waht do youfat lard arses knwo about road riding

You would do about 30 in two hours depending on terrain

5thElefant
    Free Member

Two hours on a road bike is like 8 hours of watching golf. HTH.

stanfree
    Free Member

Mmmm show jumping and javelin throwing , I hadn’t figured on this . But used the rule of thumb Beach Volleyball to Aussie rules football and came out with Junkyards (Helpful) 30 miles answer. 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

IMO off-road is between 1.5 and 3 times as hard going.

ourmaninthenorth

Yes, I operate a 1:1 ratio – I have one mountain bike for every road bike I own. I own two of each.

I also do the same with cyclocross and track bikes (one of each), though this may change.

Oh… 😉

uplink
    Free Member

For me there’s a sound barrier type speed of 9mph off road & 16 mph on road

averaging over that is possible but takes a lot of hard work – I ride in hilly areas too

so I reckon the ratio is 1:1.7r 🙂

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Very much liking the javelin analogy 🙂

At the risk of being serious I ride both bikes a lot locally
    The roadie on the errr road and the MTB on errr not the road

My average speed on both over the last 2y of me actually keeping a record on the MTB is 2/3 my speed on the road
    Or my road speed is half as fast again as on the MTB

Ish

Thats riding the same area but obviously not the same routes

Any help?

Stuey01
    Free Member

By this I mean I’ve just been out In farely boggy conditions for two hours and did approx 16 miles. On decent roads what sort of distance could i cover on a Road bike. ?

Your thoughts please.

Double it. 16mph is an easily achievable average on a road bike. Obviously dependant on amount of climbing, wind conditions, your fitness etc.

jonb
    Free Member

In two hours on a road bike provided there were no massive hills I would be expecting 35-40 miles. More if I was riding in a decent group.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Is there a mountain bike to road bike ratio.?’ is closed to new replies.