Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 169 total)
  • Is there a more pointless car than the BMW X6?
  • coffeeking
    Free Member

But no car is pointless if the owner enjoys it, for whatever reason. And that, my friends, is why none of your opinions matter in the end. It’s personal choice, and personal choice seems to be driving manufacturers all down the trends of cars that I’d not touch with a bargepole, but it seems lots of people like them.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

@aracer no my main transport is an S65, but I also have a RRS for knocking about in, that should raise your hackles a bit 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Seems to me the only pointless thing to have is an opinion. So I’m getting rid of mine.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Our chairman has an s65, very much an old chaps car I would have thought. V12 does sound fantastic but you would expect that for £150k+ of car. Is it silver?

Although he would never go near something as common as a range rover sport, he leaves that for the management trying to outdo each other in the car park.

nowthen
    Free Member
    MarkBrewer
    Free Member

@amedias but that’s not right – an x6m is quicker round a track than most 911s or Astons

A Cayenne Turbo is quicker round a track than a Lotus Exige but you could still get 5 adults and a couple of dogs in the boot.

If you go by those 4 cars Nurburgring lap times (as thats a pretty good benchmark) then you’re wrong on both counts there!

KINGTUT
    Free Member

clubber – Member

yeah, but you’re a **** KT Case proven.

Can’t argue with that.

Does anyone on here actually drive an X6?

I’d never buy one, not necessarily cos I think it’s ugly (I could live with the way it looks), but because I don’t see the point in owning a car that big which can still only seat 5 people.

ianv
    Free Member

There is a lowered x6 which I often see being driven around Bradford. I often wonder about the point of that.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

There is a lowered x6 which I often see being driven around Bradford. I often wonder about the point of that.

So it is that little bit more hidden from general view?

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

I’m sorry, but i actually do like the look of most of the aforementioned vehicles (with the exception of the mini and the kia). Great big “soft roaders” like the X6, Q7, Cayenne etc are superb for long journeys with lots of stuff and if you decide to give it the beans every now and then, you can. My wife has a new Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 5.7 hemi and my mother-in-law has a Volvo XC60 and they are both reasonable to drive but very comfortable and over-take like rocket-ships. We travel dirt roads, mud, snow, 1000mi road trips and i very much doubt any of us will own a regular car again…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Great big “soft roaders” like the X6, Q7, Cayenne etc are superb for long journeys with lots of stuff and if you decide to give it the beans every now and then, you can. My wife has a new Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 5.7 hemi and my mother-in-law has a Volvo XC60 and they are both reasonable to drive but very comfortable and over-take like rocket-ships. We travel dirt roads, mud, snow, 1000mi road trips and i very much doubt any of us will own a regular car again…

But cars like A6 Quattros are able to match all the above for the vast majority of the time but with the added benefit of looking like a normal car.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Tell you what then m_f, you drive your A6 and let them drive whatever they want.

It’s the pink tigra you nearly bought that I couldn’t see the point of. 😛

mmannerr

But cars like A6 Quattros are able to match all the above for the vast majority of the time but with the added benefit of looking like a normal car.

It’s not about the looks, it’s the comfort of these cars, of which more upright seat position is one thing. I like driving wife’s “olympic -edition” sporty VAG but actually prefer my Scenic for most of time due comfort (don’t like sitting the road). I’d love to get something else which include all the good things about the Scenic along with quality, power and proper chassis & steering but something like that would cost 2-3 times as much.

cookeaa

Hmmm, as a follow up to this “debate” can I pose another related question to the STW automotive exeperts…

If cost and practicality were of no concern what car would you have then?

My own choice would have to be a caterham seven of some sort..

CountZero

To my eyes, as a designer in a past life, I find all BMW’s truly ugly. Audi’s I love, because I like the clean, understated lines, especially the A5, which to me is flawless. A great fast tourer, and the car I would be handing over cash for if the lottery coughed up. I actually like the Kia Soul, as a small, spacy town runabout it works very well. Reminds me very much of the Citrôen Ami 8.
    Saw one of those new Mini Coupé’s the other day; deary, deary me. What an ugly car.
    And I find all new Minis pointless anyway; bigger than the original, but less internal space. Hello? The point of that is?
    I do tend to like coupé’s though, I loved my Puma, less room for a bike than the Fiesta, but so much damned fun to drive.

doh
    Free Member

wife’s “olympic -edition” sporty VAG

😆

unovolo
    Free Member

I love the Kia Souls would have one in a heartbeat if the missus would let me.

Think BMW have really lost there way design wise,X1,X3,X6 new 5 Series all either dull or plug ugly.
    New 3 Series looks alright ,New 1 series pretty dull too.
    Dont get me started on the Mini family.

iainc

wife has had her new Kia Soul for 2 weeks now and lovin it 😀

sc-xc

Think you’re hard?
    Get up Burrington Coombe in under 7:20 on a bike then.

And, I bet you’re better than them at World of Warcraft. Bloody losers….

aracer
    Free Member

my main transport is an S65, but I also have a RRS for knocking about in, that should raise your hackles a bit

I couldn’t care less, but it explains why you think being able to afford such cars is such a big deal.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Money no object and no guilt about fuel economy, either this

or this

Both reasonably practical, both awesome.

DezB
    Free Member

That looks like a 911 cut n shunted with a Capri..!

Gary_M
    Free Member

Each to their own and all that.

RustySpanner

Interesting:

Those who don’t actually like driving buy Audis.

Those who need reassurance buy BMWs.

Those who can’t drive at all buy Range Rovers.

Those who are into mythology buy Porsches.

Those who wish to despoil the past buy Mercedes.

Me? I’ve got a Fiat, because I’m an optimist 😀

Pieface

Panamera’s in the flesh look really good IMO, a lot better than most people’s cars.

The X6 is essentially a rich boys ‘Barry boy’ car. Its utterly pointless to the majority of people but for some people it just pushes the right buttons , practicalities disregarded. Like those people that spend £20k upgrading their Corsa’s, totally pointless in many ways and they know it, but they don’t care, its what they want to do.

zokes
    Free Member

corroded – Member
    I’d have to nominate a ‘fully-loaded’ sports ute

Ah, you’re down my way at the moment aren’t you, Corroded? In which case, I give you the king of the utes…

compositepro
    Free Member

pmsl barryboys

I’d drive one….

And flick the V’s at you lot driving your Kias

godzilla
    Free Member

2wd Suzuki X90 is the most pointless car ever, this is a fact.

khani
    Free Member

X6’s remind me of these

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

king of the utes…

I had always laughed at them. Derided them, even. But on a recent trip to Australia, I found myself really, really wanting a Maloo R8SV Black Edition.

You could get a bike rack to fit in that boot, I reckon.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

I find many modern cars pointless. Those ones that look as if they have had a skip dropped on them. With low, sharpely downawrd sloping roofs, slitty little windows, tiny rear hatches, and such a discrepancy betwwen the bloated exterior and the lack of, and waste of interior space, together with the rearward visibilty problems so caused by those sort of designs. I wonder about the people who design, and drive those wheeled eyepokes.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

and such a discrepancy betwwen the bloated exterior and the lack of, and waste of interior space

Much of that is due to current legislation on crumple zones and stuff like that though…

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Though the majority of it is due to bad design.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Though the majority of it is due to bad design.

Personally I don’t believe that to be the case.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Or you can take the experience of my brother, an insurance claims adjuster, who needs to carry a great amoutn of equipment around with him. He test drove a Ford and an AUDI equivalent, his gear fitted in the AUDI but not the Ford.

amedias
    Free Member

If you go by those 4 cars Nurburgring lap times

I don’t judge cars by their performance on a track in a country I don’t live in, under manufactured circumstances that I will never encounter.

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

Just to kick the hornet nest…
    Lovely! 😉

zokes
    Free Member

I like the fact that the above monstrosity is clearly photoshopped into that Alpine scene as there’s no way it would have got there in real life 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 169 total)

The topic ‘Is there a more pointless car than the BMW X6?’ is closed to new replies.