Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Is there a more coma-inducing band than Elbow?
  • rascal
    Free Member

I’ll get flamed for this no doubt.

I appreciate they are not a ‘bad’ band.
    They are accomplished musicians and GG is treated as a demigod by some BUT…
    the song they have out now that 6music keep played (on work studio radio) is utterly dire and makes me reach for headphones so I can listen to something else…much like all their other material TBH.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

What’s a studio radio?

rascal
    Free Member

Er…the radio in our office (studio) which I hasten to add I can’t turn off.

Missed that other thread…they are hardly the ‘worst’ bad ever, but they are hard to listen to that’s for sure.

mt
    Free Member

Coldplay

Nico
    Free Member

A surfeit of “good taste” + restraint + take themselves seriously = dull. U2, Coldhead, Radioplay … you name ’em. Even Snow Patrol, I’m afraid.

JoB
    Free Member

what band did you chose to listen to on your headphones so we can comment on their torpor reviving abilities?

IHN

Well, I quite like’em.

If anyone wants a ticket to see them at Westonbirt Arboretum in June, let me know…

take themselves seriously

I don’t think they do, tbh. Guy Garvey comes across as a massively humble fella.

Indeed, I heard him talking about their latest song “It’s all Disco”, and it is exactly about the fact that what they do shouldn’t be taken too seriously by anyone, including themselves.

kayla1
    Free Member

They are known in our house as **** Elbow. Also see **** Coldarse and **** Radioshite.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

You must be lucky enough to have missed out on the Smiths OP…

IHN

I see all the usual bands that are cool to like/hate are being trotted out.

rascal
    Free Member

This

Then this

I really really hope you approve JoB 😉

I see all the usual bands that are cool to like/hate are being trotted out.

FWIW I think Radiohead have been one of the most consistently experimental and refreshing bands of the last 20 years.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I likes what I likes.

Some music leaves me cold, some lukewarm, and some sets me alight.

The End.

JoB
    Free Member

rascal – Member

I really really hope you approve JoB

i had to put my headphones on and listen to something else

stilltortoise
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlQyAIEA3nc[/video]

You like this but you don’t like Elbow? They’re poured from the same musical mould to my ears.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

i had to put my headphones on and listen to something else

😆 at JoB

CountZero

I really like Elbow, Guy has a great voice, with a decent range and warmth, and their songs have a decent variety, unlike Coldplay, with Martin’s insistence on singing in that irritating falsetto. Then there’s the bloody Manics, with their sub-Student Union level politicking and their ‘if I sing really loudly in a raspy voice it’ll show how sincere I am’ vocals…
    👿
    Then there’s Alt-J…

P-Jay
    Free Member

I quite like ’em, but sometimes I listen to Bloc Party and think, Jesus wept this is bland.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Never heard of them so can’t really compare but surely Coldplay must be about the most tedious, over rated band out there. Droney, bland middle of the road stuff aimed at lifts and shopping centres

CountZero

Is there a more coma-inducing band than Elbow?

Daft Punk? Kasabian?
    Dull
    Duller
    Dullest.

Weasel
    Free Member

We have the radio on at work, and a song played hourly by James Arthur makes me want to jump in front of a bus

bodgy
    Free Member

I really like Elbow. I get that they’re a bit of a Marmite band, but Guy Martin’s lyrics are both poetic and emotionally intelligent. And I’m looking forward to seeing them live.

But then again, I’m a middle aged fart, so what would I know?

Flaperon

Muse?

redmex
    Free Member

Coldplay when they are good they are really good, Radiohead loved lots of their stuff a bit like coldplay its when the lead guitar kicks in whereas elbow one track pony beautiful day was ok but then i thought Suede were brilliant most of the time

Pyro

Elbow. Athlete. The Smiths. The Cure. Coldplay. Reverend & The Makers. Oasis. Radiohead. Snow Patrol. Travis. Pulp. Blur. Suede.

Probably 95% of the output of that lot just makes me turn the radio down/off/over. There’s the odd occasional track they’ve released that doesn’t make me want to puncture my own eardrums, but on the whole I find them overrated, mundane, middle-of-the-road, drony/whiney rubbish. Other people may love that kind of stuff, and they’re welcome to it, but it’s not to my taste.

DezB
    Free Member

Says more about your narrow-mindedness than the bands’ quality Pyro, if you lump all those completely different bands in together.

I really like Elbow. I get that they’re a bit of a Marmite band, but Guy Martin’s..etc *snigger*

Pyro

Says more about your narrow-mindedness than the bands’ quality Pyro, if you lump all those completely different bands in together.

I only “lump them together” because I find them all a bit ‘meh’, Dez. I’m not saying they sound exactly alike, and I’m not saying they’re not ‘quality’ bands, just that they all make me turn the radio off as they’re not to my taste. YMMV, as regularly gets said on here, and I’m not criticising people who like them, though you seem to be criticising me for not liking them. I’m not sure that’s entirely fair.

I have a fairly broad-ranging taste in music, a lot towards the folk/country/americana points of the spectrum, various bits of rock, metal, rap, hip hop, drum and bass, some classical, some dance-y stuff, some world music stuff. Bits of everything. Just not, for the vast majority of the time, that list above.

IHN

Elbow. Athlete. The Smiths. The Cure. Coldplay. Reverend & The Makers. Oasis. Radiohead. Snow Patrol. Travis. Pulp. Blur. Suede

Probably 95% of the output of that lot just makes me turn the radio down/off/over

Well, unless you’re listening to the radio 10 years ago you’ll be okay.

Pyro

Elbow. Athlete. The Smiths. The Cure. Coldplay. Reverend & The Makers. Oasis. Radiohead. Snow Patrol. Travis. Pulp. Blur. Suede
    Probably 95% of the output of that lot just makes me turn the radio down/off/over

Well, unless you’re listening to the radio 10 years ago you’ll be okay.[/quote]

That’s what Radio 2’s for, isn’t it? Nothing else could explain the inexplicably popular presence of Steve Wright in the afternoon…

CountZero

Is there a more coma-inducing band than Elbow?

Primal Scream – Stones knock-offs
    Oasis – Beatles knock-offs
    Happy Mondays – dull
    Red Hot Chili Peppers (an entire career based on one song)
    65daysofstatic – went to the pub after one ‘song’
    Stone Roses…
    I truly cannot understand the reverence those bands seem to be held in.
    All of them tedious in the extreme.

If anyone wants a ticket to see them at Westonbirt Arboretum in June, let me know…

Has that sold out? I might be interested, I’m going to see them in London, for the seventh or eighth time, and Westonbirt isn’t all that far from me.
    I was at one of Elbow’s O2 gigs, and a bloke in the audience called out to Guy that it was his birthday, so Guy dedicated the next song to him, then gave the lucky git his Fender Stratocaster! After the next song a roadie went over and gave him the case to go with it!
    A generous gesture indeed, and the sort of bloke Guy really seems to be.

rascal
    Free Member

GG being a top chap, a good Guy and general lovely fellow does not stop Elbow being an extremely dull band.

andeh

Guy seems like a nice fella, but I get the Elbow thing. They are pretty unremarkable.

HOWEVER, Radiohead do not deserve to be lumped with the rest of the b(l)ands. I can’t think of a more experimental, yet consistently excellent, band. I’m thinking that the haters heard Creep once in a pub 20 years ago and wrote them off from that point. But hay, everyone’s got to be passionate about something 🙄

I think back to being younger, I was vehemently opposed to so much music. I absolutely detested things things like U2 and Journey, Fall Out Boy, Panic at the Disco, etc, and would make a huge point about hating them, turning off music at parties. It was part of who I was, in hindsight a bit of a dick. I had quite a nice upbringing, unremarkable, lower middle class, I didn’t have much else to complain about I guess. I’ve definitely mellowed since.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Yes there are more coma inducing bands than Elbow

Pyro

I’m thinking that the haters heard Creep once in a pub 20 years ago and wrote them off from that point.

On the contrary, I liked Pablo Honey and The Bends as albums. In their case I get the feeling that some time around OK Computer Thom Yorke started disappearing gently up his own fundament, and it all turned into dirge-y self-indulgent bollocks from there on in. I tried listening to OK and Kid A and just couldn’t do it…

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Then there’s the bloody Manics, with their sub-Student Union level politicking and their ‘if I sing really loudly in a raspy voice it’ll show how sincere I am’ vocals…

My, how times change.

funkmasterp

I always saw Modest Mouse as the good version of Radiohead. Same experimental bent, but with a good dose of mad vocals in the mix and not pretentious wankery either.

I’ve been given free tickets to see Elbow. Not their biggest fan from what I’ve heard of them. I do like Guy Garvey’s solo album though.

Surely the most coma inducing band has to be Nickleback or Limp Bizkit?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

(double post)

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Glassjaw.

So much noise, so little interest generated by it.

nickc

I get the feeling that some time around OK Computer Thom Yorke started disappearing gently up his own fundament

interestingly (or not) that’s about when I thought they started to loose the pop influence (if they ever really had such a thing) and became worth listening to.

Isn’t it good that we all have different tastes.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Have you learned nothing?

Your taste is wrong.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Is there a more coma-inducing band than Elbow?’ is closed to new replies.