Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Is there a lightweight backpacking tent like this???
  • scotroutes

1 person.
    Single skin.
    Decent sized porch for cooking/storage.
    Bathtub groundsheet connected to walls of the tent by midge netting all the way around.

If not – why not?

BadlyWiredDog

Various Big Agnes designs? e.g.: https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/FlyCreek1Platinum

Sorry, you want singleskin? Have a look at Nemo maybe.

scotroutes

That has a full mesh inner tent. I just want a trip of mesh around the top of the groundsheet connecting to the tent walls. These would have to flare outwards above the mesh strip to provide weather-proofing.

MSP

Probably difficult to get the tension right on a single skin tent with a meshing strip. I can certainly see durability problems with such a design.

flatfish
    Free Member

Lunar Solo

d45yth
    Free Member

Have Mountain Laurel Designs got anything like what you want? If not, they do custom work too. There are a few other small American brands like this, I’m struggling to remember their names though.

EDIT: It seems to me that you might be as well using a mesh inner along with a tarp. Then you would have the option of using them separately in the right conditions. Ignore that…using the a mesh inner with its proper outer would be better than that, as it would be easier to set up.

BadlyWiredDog

MHW, I think, used to do something like that but without a decent porch. It didn’t work as well as you might hope and the weight savings weren’t so amazing that it was worth the discomfort.

scotroutes

That looks like the sort of thing I was thinking of. 😆

scotroutes

Possibly. I was just remembering that Hamish Brown came up with a similar design (quite) a few years back but without the mesh. It seemed to me that modern materials could make it a decent option.

BadlyWiredDog

The Mountain Hardwear tent I was thinking of was called the Waypoint. It had a mesh strip above a bathtub-type ground-sheet to improve ventilation, but from memory, it didn’t actually work very well at all. It didn’t have a vestibule at all either, but the bottom line, from memory was that condensation was still a real probem despite the mesh. I suspect there aren’t many similar designs partly for that reason.

matt_outandabout
    scotroutes

Aye. Lunar Solo currently not available. More “research” needed…..

vorlich
    Free Member

Tarp tent contrail almost fits the bill. Porch is a beak, needs a pole/stick to pitch

matt_outandabout

In which case, I think brooks range do one….

ahhhjrene
    Free Member

Looking at your blog it’s clear that your already familiar with Tarptent. Have a look at their range?

matther01
    Free Member

lunar solo on ebay for £22 at the mo…type in ‘tent one man’

notlocal
    Free Member

Go-lite do the shangri-la tarp, which you can add a floor to. I have the go-lite den2, brilliant bit of kit.

scotroutes

😐

Not when I look

matt_outandabout

Go-lite do the shangri-la tarp, which you can add a floor to. I have the go-lite den2, brilliant bit of kit.

Yes, but the Go-lite netting lets midges in, and a Shangri-la with floor really allows the bugs in. Good tent mind.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Is there a lightweight backpacking tent like this???’ is closed to new replies.