Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Is there a headset that allows for a 1 1/8 fork to fit on a cannondale?
  • GrumpyDave
    Free Member

As the title really. Can anyone recommend one, or am I stuck with the one that my new bike will come with?

harryparabolics
    Free Member

As far as I know, any 1.5 to 1 1/8 headset will do the job – I’ve got an FSA Orbit Z in my Rush and it works a treat.

letmetalktomark

BETD make specific reducer cups allowing a greater flexibility in choosing the headset:

Clicky

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    DezB
    Free Member

There definitely are reducer headsets for 1.5″ to fit 1″1/8 forks.
    Need to check compatibility, as Hope do one, but say its not Cannondale compatible.
    Here’s an example – http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=38693

edit – ah, yes those reducer cups are what I had on my old ‘Dale.

RustyMac

I thought Cannondale headsets were just 1.5 headsets so most 1.5 to 1 1/8 reducer headsets should work (this may not be correct but i’m about 80%).

BETD do reducer cups for cannondale bikes to allow you to fit standard headsets if they are of any intrest.

http://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk/items.asp?CategoryID=169&Name=Headset+Reducers

you could have a look on the Hope web site, they now do pick and mix headsets to allow you to buy the upper and lower cups of your choice, they do most of the common standards so may have what you need.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

I’ve got hope reducer (stepdown) headsets in my 2 Dales

Simon

I’m using a Hope Stepdown on a Prophet with no problem, cups went in fine.

sssimon
    Free Member

alloy cannondales are generally 49.6mm so standard 1.5, the carbon ones and some alloy stoff that came with headshox or lefty forks can be 50.6 so you have to buy a cannondale branded headset, a nightmare to find in the uk but the guys (and girl) at http://www.cannondale-parts.de are your friend as i fount when trying to fit a tapered fork to a carbon rush

DezB
    Free Member

I’m using a Hope Stepdown on a Prophet with no problem, cups went in fine.

Cool, I was just going by the CRC description:
    Takes 1.5” headtube (only, not a Cannondale) down to use a 1 1/8” fork.

konaboy2275
    Free Member

I use the hope one on my prophet, works fine but does raise the head by about 10-15mm (the original cannondale adaptors did too). I think this might be something to compensate for lefty’s being a taller fork or summink.

GrumpyDave
    Free Member

Thanks all.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Hope do 2 stepdown headsets, a HS (high stack 10-15 mm) and a LS (low stack 3mm) just get the one that suits!

z1ppy

Another thread on the subject and the Hope headset get a mention, along with a comment that it will fit.. maybe worth ringng Hope to confirm.

cmotd68
    Free Member

I can also vouch for the Hope 1.5 step-down working on an aluminium Cannondale. Have one fitted to an old F2000 frame with an 1″1/8 fork on it.

There may be an issue with Cannondale fitment regarding the depth of the cups into the frame. A lot of 1.5″ step-down headsets have cups that insert a long way, the Hope insert only by about 10mm and are fine.
    No problems using it at all.

They won’t fit a carbon frame though, different insertion for the cups.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Is there a headset that allows for a 1 1/8 fork to fit on a cannondale?’ is closed to new replies.