Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Is there a garden hose that doesn't drive you to despair?
  • butcher

Random question. But garden hoses really annoy me.

Used to have one with a reel on the wall. Which wasn’t awful to be fair. But you always had to be so careful not to kink it when winding it back up. I mainly use them for washing the car, so we’re talking 30ft hose, and a short coiled thing is out of the question.

Now have one that doesn’t even have a reel and you’ve got to wrap it all up manually. It’s bending in all different directions. Kinks everywhere. It’s like doing a puzzle. And once you’re cold and wet after washing the car there is really not a lot of patience left for doing puzzles.

Infuriating things they are. It’s really minor. But it turns a 5 minute job into a 15 minute one, with two thirds of the time spent unravelling and ravelling a hose. And because of that I always put off doing it.

So is there a hose exists that can be reeled out, and in, in a matter of seconds, with joyful ease? Preferably at a reasonable price point.

Or is this frustration just a fact of life?

DickBarton

Blimey…

Unsure I’m washing cars properly as apart from my hand, the only other bits that might be damp are the Drip spots on my feet from being a bit too close to the car.

Turn water off at tap, leave hose open and unplug from wall. Keep wall end high and reel it under your arm and collect hose…it doesn’t kink and the water drains out the hose as you pull it.

About 30 seconds job and only your hands and maybe your elbow get damp.

monkfish
    Free Member

I’m with you Butcher. I’d quite happily remove Hozelock from the face of this earth.

nickjb
    Free Member

I feel your pain. Been there. Have now upgraded to a large metal winder and some decent reinforced hose. Bought from toolstation separately and price wasn’t too bad. Much better price than the all in one hose reels. Winds up very quickly and easily and pulls out straight.

bearnecessities

I massively over-researched this last year and ended up with a Claber.

We’re very happy together.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Garden-Outdoors/Claber-Kiros-Kit/B000RLIOJG

thepurist

Tricoflex is good stuff, but is reassuringly expensive.

butcher

Blimey…

Unsure I’m washing cars properly as apart from my hand, the only other bits that might be damp are the Drip spots on my feet from being a bit too close to the car.

OK, maybe not soaking wet, but I’m often out on miserable days. And I’m thinking also that the hose is normally covered in filth from the ground, which also may or may not contain traces of dog poo… In an ideal world I would rather not touch hose at all. That may be optimistic, but at the very least, something that doesn’t require ‘a knack’ to use it.

Surely in the 21st century we have created a hose that can be reeled in at the touch of a button…from an app on your smartphone??

butcher

I massively over-researched this last year and ended up with a Claber.

The one in the link is very cheap… May look further into that.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

#PeakSTW

butcher

🙂

matt_outandabout

😆

takisawa2

I find winding it in with it still charged with water helps greatly.

somouk
    Free Member

I find winding it in with it still charged with water helps greatly.

That is the best way, the pressure in the hose will stop it from kinking and mean when you turn it back on it has been rolled with enough room to carry water through it. if you roll them in with no water then they compress on the reel so turning the water on will then stop them from carrying as much to the end.

footflaps

We have one of these

[url=https://flic.kr/p/QRPFR2]Hozelock 40m reel[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

Works very well accept it won’t always all reel back in, runs out of space with about 2m to go….

leffeboy

Time to google ‘over under cable wrapping’. Classic problem with mic/instrument cables and the solution is easy once you know how

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Is there a garden hose that doesn't drive you to despair?’ is closed to new replies.