Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Is there a flat shoe that is waterproof?
  • ppapa
    Free Member

Okay, the title might be misleading.

I am a fairly new into MTB and got a 29″ HT. So I am more into cross country, that seems to equate to wet and muddy conditions.

I currently ride in La Sportiva Crossover GTX:

What I like about them that they are waterproof and have the so called gaiter that makes the shoe cleaning a breeze. My hiking boots require good 10-15 minutes to remove laces, clean and then put the laces back when they are dry…

However, the pattern of the sole is fairly aggressive and I am not willing to resole them as the uppers are starting to give away.

I have seen Shimano AM7 shoe, but didn’t really like the looks of them (ouch!). Are there any other options?

psycorp
    Free Member

Have you tried waterproof socks instead of waterproof boots? More effective and much cheaper.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Shoes are not waterproof, they try and stop it leaking in from the top… Socks help as they help warm up the water trapped in your foot

ppapa
    Free Member

Thanks folk, I’ve got two pairs of Sealskinz socks as I am into hillwalking and mountaineering. I was eyeing at Salewa Firetail GTX shoes for both cycling and some easier walking, though. I had Five Ten Guide Tennies and just didn’t like the fit and quality at all.

It’s same school of thought for mountain stuff, gaiters and overtrousers can help quite a bit, but inevitably the miles long bogs will do their job!

duncancallum

Your prayers have been answered….

vaude mtb shoes

wiggles
    Free Member

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

The problem with 5.10’s is that they don’t even make an effort to be water resistant, so as soon as you hit a puddle they’re heavy at water logged. The only water resistant one they make is the VXI one with the softer rubber which wears too quickly.

IMO the perfect flat shoe would be one of the new shimano jobbies, resoled with the standard 5.10 rubber.

ppapa
    Free Member

The problem with 5.10’s is that they don’t even make an effort to be water resistant, so as soon as you hit a puddle they’re heavy at water logged. The only water resistant one they make is the VXI one with the softer rubber which wears too quickly.

IMO the perfect flat shoe would be one of the new shimano jobbies, resoled with the standard 5.10 rubber.

That’s why I am not inclined to buy them again. Also, they are deadly on wet grass.

Loved my Guide Tennies for easy rock climbs, via ferrata and approaches on dry conditions in Dolomites, though. They ended up in the bin as they didn’t last long.

nickc

don’t addidas own 5:10 now. so in theory you could probably get something that is a bit less water-loggy (yes, I’ve decided it is a word) and had a grippy sole

These maybe?

jeff1155

I have the 5:10 Impact 2 mids and while I haven’t worn them in heavy rain they’ve been ankle deep in mud and not let anything in that I could feel, I’m quite impressed with them for a winter boot.

longmover
    Free Member

Only What’s Necessary FR-01 have a waterproof liner, expensive though.

jamesmio
    Free Member

Five Ten Elements hold out for a while, but it *always* gets in over the top at some point so I’ve concluded SealSkinz or their ilk are pretty much the only real option.

*NB – when the water gets in over the top of your socks, you have the ‘pleasure’ of riding along with your very own portable puddle wherever you go too, which is great.

MoreCashThanDash

Some Vaude shoes got a good review in the latest magazine of this august forum….

grahamt1980

Those vaude shoes look really good

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

[/quote]The problem with 5.10’s is that they don’t even make an effort to be water resistant, so as soon as you hit a puddle they’re heavy at water logged. The only water resistant one they make is the VXI one with the softer rubber which wears too quickly.

Nonsense. Current VXI elements are 18 months old, only way water gets in splash over top or running down legs.

And I live in SW Scotland, so they get plenty testing.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Dunno how I managed that, looks okay in edit! 😆

The vaude looked good till I saw the sole, try that on a hike a bike? Er.. no.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

The VXI elements have the stupidly soft soles don’t they?

No thanks.

Northwind

Tom_W1987 – Member

Freerider Elements and ELC- not VXI, they use the old stealth sole not the new shit wooden one. Waterproof enough that yesterday, once we were properly soaked, they filled up with rain 😆

They do lack any sort of waterproofing of the hole at the top, which is where winter spd shoes still win. But it still makes a massive difference- you do get wet but you’re not getting a constant hosing of new, cold water, so you stay a lot warmer.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Stupidly soft soles? Don’t think so, 18 months use across 3 different pedals- vaults, nanos and burgtecs, and they’re still sound, I’ll even post a pic later 😀

ppapa
    Free Member

don’t addidas own 5:10 now. so in theory you could probably get something that is a bit less water-loggy (yes, I’ve decided it is a word) and had a grippy sole

These maybe?
    I am actually a big fan of Adidas Terrex line for mountaineering/hillwalking. Some of their bits are great. Usually works out a lot cheaper as I am lucky to find good deals online.

Rode in these today: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adidas-Terrex-Solo-Football-Boots/dp/B00KVFPGHG

Grips quite well, but the sole is pretty much worn out already, so might need a resole. Hit few puddles and cycled back in heavy(ish) rain, the socks were fine.

roverpig

The vaude looked good till I saw the sole, try that on a hike a bike? Er.. no.

According to the review in the mag, hike-a-bike is exactly what they are good for ! The sole is supposed to give good grip on and off the bike. Never tried them though, so just going on what I read.

richardkennerley

You can get 5.10 freerider elements without the vxi sold, I’ve got some. They are splash proof, but eventually water goes over the top, and when they get wet and stay wet

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

There’s definitely a gap in the market as most are stupidly expensive and/or very compromised in other areas.

Maybe we need a shoe (assuming the grip is up to the job) that drains and dries quickly instead of actually being completely waterproof. As the big hole in the top is going to let some water in, in the worst conditions, without some kind of integrated sock/gaiter with an against skin seal.

Tracey

They were dipsplaying some Five Tens at the Scotish International Enduro that looked as if they may be more water resistant. Was told they were due out in the Autumn Called the Freerider EPS

ton

been on 5/10 sam hills for the last 3 years. very waterproof.
    recently bought some of the new sam hill impacts. look pretty waterproof, but are very warm.

vincienup
    Free Member

The old Teva Links was a good compromise shoe especially in hi top but they stopped making it as everyone wanted five tens…

Realistically five tens aren’t really going to fix the water logging issue properly while people still buy them. I do have a pair of freeriders which are great in better weather but not what I’d choose to wear in cold wet weather. I’m told the Elements version is ‘better’ but far from perfect.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Is there a flat shoe that is waterproof?’ is closed to new replies.