• This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by hels.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Is there a bridleway route from London to Edinburgh ?
  • flap_jack
    Free Member

Great North Ride looks interesting, but they were trying to recreate an historic event so had to do some road.

Has anyone done offroad London to Edinburgh ?

Thanks

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I only know the area around Edinburgh down to the borders – a route could be found but it would be rather indirect and you would have to do a few bits of road.

kimbers

is there a canal route?
    are towpaths classified as bridlepaths?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

no canals cross the border. Few canals in scotland and none south of Edinburgh

flap_jack
    Free Member

Towpath probably essential out of London, but after that would prefer to keep off them – looking for a cross country epic, more hills the better.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Where would you want to cross the border?

druidh
    Free Member

Two books which you might like to consider when planning this:

Scottish Hill Tracks by Scotways ISBN 0-95466735-0-6
    The Drove Roads of Scotland by A.R.B. Haldane ISBN 1-874744-76-9

These show the old drove road (used to move cattle) between the Falkirk tryst and the border. The most obvious route (from Edinburgh area) would be Balerno – Cauldstane Slap – West Linton – Romanno Bridge – Peebles – Gypsy Glen – St Marys Loch – Tushielaw – Craick – Teviothead or Peebles – Innerleithen – Yarrow (Minch Moor) – Ettrickbridge – Hawick.

90% of each of these options is still available off-road. As regards south of the border, I’ll defer to more knowledgeable folks.

Edit: Check out Fay Godwin too….http://www.faygodwin.com/books.html

IanW
    Free Member

I can get you through Suffolk if others pick up the other counties.

t-p26
    Free Member

All bridleways stop at the border. In Scotia they dont have the same land access farce that exists in England…..

br
    Free Member

Don’t believe you could bridleway it, but definitely plenty of ‘cheeky’ trails – here’s one for starters:

http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/pennineway/

🙂

And once over the border – old drove road to Jedburgh, then roman road to St Boswells, over the Eildens, SUW to Lauder etc

senorj

Lea river/canal all the way from the Thames to Hertford.
    Bways to Stevenage and then there are loads that follow the A1 up towards Htchin/Letchworth. – that’s got to be 30/40 miles .

ooOOoo
    Free Member

The only map you’ll need 🙂

hels
    Free Member

That is a very very cool map.

I have just been reading Asterix in Britain (bought if for my nephew honest).

We should plot a ride along all those roads, picking up people as we go, and ride to London demanding, er, I don’t know, better use of indicators on roundabouts ?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Is there a bridleway route from London to Edinburgh ?’ is closed to new replies.