• This topic has 56 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by j_me.
Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Is there a better western than Once upon a time in the west ?
  • sofaking
    Free Member

Btw, Sofaking: Is that a reference to the Dangerdoom song of the same name?

had to google danderdoom so no. its a reference to a short lived bike company in America that are now called grail bikes. sofaking bikes had such awesome paint jobs I used to drool over my keyboard 8)

Lifer
    Free Member

Need to throw The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford in as well. The whole film is amazing, and the train hijack is one of the most amazing scenes, visually, that I’ve ever seen.

I thought it was dull, dull, dull. Not enough story so lets make the film 60% long pans over (admittedly beautifully shot) scenery.

mudshark
    Free Member

Once upon a time in the West is one of my favourite films. Empire magazine put it at no.14 in their list of top 500 greatest films which was the highest placing for a western. The next highest one was The Good, the Bad and the Ugly at 25.

This is IMDB’s list:
    http://www.imdb.com/chart/western

MisterCrud
    Free Member

Not the best of all time obviously, but so watchable. Lee Marvin and Paul Newman. Pocket Money.

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

Not that I’m suggesting it’s the best western of all time, but has anyone seen Open Range?

Bloody good film. Kevin Costner in awesome movie shocker!

IdleJon

kimbers – Member
    searchers is very good

The Searchers was a VERY good film, but it’s a real pity that they had John Wayne in there instead of an actual actor.

though if we include tv series then it would be deadwood and with a rumoured deadwood movie being made to tie up the series properly we may have a new contender!

I got bored with Deadwood. Probably because I needed subtitles to understand what anyone was mumbling.

(I have nothing to add to the main debate because all of my favourite westerns have been named.)

noteeth
    Free Member

It definitely has the best music… The score still demolishes me.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo4lZuDoufs&feature=related[/video]

anagallis_arvensis

In no particular order my fav’s
    The Searchers, The Shootist, Pale Rider, Shenandoah, Magnificent Seven, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.
    Does Brokeback Mountain count? Its got cowboys and is a bloody good film.

Also as far as True Grit goes am I the only person who thinks the original is the better version?

noteeth
    Free Member

As a lovestruck Michelle Williams fan, I am looking forward to Meek’s Cutoff.

fennerhorne
    Free Member

Also as far as True Grit goes am I the only person who thinks the original is the better version?

No I agree completely, you’ve got Robert Duvall, and a young Dennis Hopper in there, and I even liked Glen Campbell. It looked awesome in HD – the only offputting thins was the girl looked like Fernando Torres 🙂

The big Silence is another great Spag Western, dir by Sergio Corbucci (Django) – it’s totally backwards – set in the snow and the bad guys (led by a brilliant Klaus Kinski) get away with it.

But The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is the best – especially the restored version with missing scenes put back in it actually makes sense.

TenMen
    Free Member

+1 for Open Range, especially the first shot in the final gun fight. Surprisingly marvelous film.

vondally
    Free Member

oh so many good ones but
    Apoolasa………….ed harris and viggo mortensen ( scence where they have to choose curtains)

THe shootist is a good call

BUT after thinking

Unforgiven is the best, real characters thoughtful and great acting Gene Hackman and Richard Harrie the ” Duck of Death” scene is great.

Sawyer
    Free Member

If we’re talking music from westerns, then The Ecstasy of Gold from The Good, The Bad & The Ugly surely.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PwpOmjAu1M[/video]

Still my favourite piece of music.

j_me
    Free Member

Has to be The Good the Bad and the Ugly…

I like big fat men like you. When they fall, they make more noise. And sometimes they never get up

joolsburger
    Free Member

“..you just shot an unarmed man!”

“Well he should have armed himself, if he’s gonna decorate his saloon with my friend.”?

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

can’t belive that no ones metioned long riders yet the shoot out at the end slowmo bullets whizzing past and into the bank robbers and riding horses through a window in slowmo sound effects and all to get away

j_me
    Free Member

Get three coffins ready.
    My mistake. Four coffins…

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Is there a better western than Once upon a time in the west ?’ is closed to new replies.