Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)
  • Is there a band you just dont get?
  • HughStew

Maybe its so obvious that it doesn’t need saying but ‘Coldplay’ must surely top anyone’s list of inexplicably successful bands.

ElVino

Manic Street Preachers – their songs tend to start out like they are going to be good but then deteriorate into painful drivel

Torminalis
    Free Member

I am expecting to get properly flamed for this…

The Clash.

I have a couple of their albums, I have tried listening on many occasions because I think I should like them but I just don’t get it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    binners

Maybe its so obvious that it doesn’t need saying but ‘Coldplay’ must surely top anyone’s list of inexplicably successful bands.

Indeed. U2 would be right up there too

DrJ

my music taste is so eclectic bad

FTFY 🙂

rickt
    Free Member

Beatles…

tuffty
    Free Member

U2, and I can’t see why edge (made up name) is classed as a good guitarist

camo16
    Free Member

+1 for Texas, Muse and Rod Stewart

But those who’ve said Radiohead and the Smiths are just wrong.

Surprised nobody’s gone for Dire Straights, Quo, Divine Comedy, Queen… all IMO as gettable as a bag of crap on a long pole.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I only get the bands that make my ears happy. The rest are utter shite. STW FACT.

jwt
    Free Member

Ozric Tentacles, yet I have quite some affection for Eat Static.

colonelwax
    Free Member

Elbow, the sound of beige.

And Muse, obviously.

stumpy01

Coldplay & Muse.

Some of Coldplay’s earlier stuff was pretty good, but now it seems to be more about Coldplay the band than the music (similar to U2).

Muse are a bit wail-y for my ears, although again some of their stuff is good.

Not sure how much of this is due to the rise of people letting you know that they are going to see Muse/Coldplay/Other Stadium Band via Faceache and uploading pics of tickets, location updates to let you know they are ‘at the gig’ followed by sweaty, blurry pics of said people ‘enjoying themselves at the gig’……..Bah. Must be getting old.

bigblackshed

There are some bands I really don’t like. Lots I feel indifferent about.

Ones I “don’t get”. The Smiths. Nirvana.

fogliettaz
    Free Member

Cold Play = The Bland Band.

Northwind

I don’t get Muse but I’m still a big fan…

All these kids bands that are just doing the exact same as older bands, but worse. Rise Against, you are the best Bad Religion covers band in the world. I mean, it’s not like there’s a shortage of Bad Religion albums! Bullet For My Valentine and Trivium, just Machine Head b-sides.

verses

Bloc Party seem to be more popular than they should be IMO.

They’re not terrible, I just don’t understand why they’re not an “also ran” rather than a festival headliner!

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

I quite like a lot of oasis tunes, the trouble is I quite liked them twenty years before oasis wrote them,manics I never got-pretentious dirges, and smiths -I liked Johny Marr’s guitar but otherwise miserabilitist tosh.

chakaping
    Free Member

Muse, Foo Fighters, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Kings of Leon, Kasabian, Oasis, Paul Weller, Arctic Monkeys, Manic SP.

Most “bloke rock” really then (OK, Muse are more geek rock, but you get my drift).

Also Queen and The Beatles among older acts, used to feel same about the Stones but have softened my stance in recent years.

mutoiddoh
    Free Member

I don’t get why anybody likes anything from reality TV I.e. One Dimension. Or bands where it’s more about the way the band members look I.e. boy/girl bands. I generally just dislike bands that are shoved in my face by marketing.
    The rest, except for maybe texas, I can tolerate.

jimster
    Free Member

Muse and the Smiths

ads678

Coldplay, really are just nothing, I really cannot understand why people would part with money to listen or go see such boringness!

Most other bands/groups/artists I can live with, but coldplay! why are they so big, it hurts my head thinking about it.

PS, I like the foo fighters, Muse, Texas and (earlier) MSP so I am obviously wrong!! 😀

SnS
    Free Member

Mogwai
    Bombay Bicycle Club
    Artic Monkeys ( their first album was good, don’t like anything else)
    The Who ( don’t know why, just don’t like them)
    Yoko Ono
    Kaiser Chiefs
    “Symbol” – Or whatever he’s called nowadays

MrsToast
    Free Member

Radiohead, Coldplay, Nine Inch Nails and The Foo Fighters.

LoCo
    Free Member

Queen, U2

richmars

I don’t get people who don’t get anything.

It’s ok not to like something, just don’t worry and listen to what you do like.

chakaping
    Free Member

How’d I forget Led Zep? I honestly just don’t get them.

Also Limp Biscuit and all that sort of shouty, trebley rock guff which used to end up polluting extreme sports videos.

Not worried at all, just interesting to share and see that the same bands seem to crop up quite a bit.

corroded
    Free Member

Another +1 for Muse. Just tried to watch a couple of their songs on Youtube – got 2.17 and 0.39 in respectively.

cookeaa

Why don’t you all just get yourselves a definitive “bounding statement” T-shirt:

I’m sure a group discount could be negotiated…

BigJohn

Does anybody else think the Manic’s new single is like a cover of Billy Joel’s Uptown Girl?

plumber
    Free Member

Too many to mention but

Hendrix
    Led Zep
    Clapton
    Floyd

never have and never will understand the appeal

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Used to feel the same about the Foo Fighters, but changed my opinion a year or two ago. Though not sure that counts for much, as my music taste is so eclectic.

Weirdly I went the other way. Loved them, aloved all their albums, then wen’t to see them at Milton keynes a couple of ears ago and the highlight for me was when Bob Mould came out on stage with them. Other than that It felt ver much like I was paying for their swimming pools.

edlong
    Free Member

Oh so many, but I’ll stick to stuff in genres I otherwise like – I could say “One Direction” but I’m not a raving fan of any other boybands so it’s not really the point.

For me, the one that I find inexplicable is AC/DC. I like loud, guitar based rock. I don’t mind it being simple and uncomplicated, I can cope with the dumb lyrics. Given other bands that I like, I should like AC/DC but I just don’t. I’ve heard most of their stuff, certainly all the “classic” albums and a fair few of the, er, “less classic” albums. I’ve seen them live ferrchrisakes, and I can play a most of their riffs on the guitar (not hard..) but it just doesn’t do anything for me. Even cranked up to 11 and after a few beers. No, nothing.

The Beatles, I also find it hard to get through a whole album of, but I’ll give them a pass because, to an extent you probably “had to be there” for them, they moved the boundaries of what a pop band could aspire to create, then they went back into the studio and moved the boundaries again. I can’t think of anyone (maybe, just maybe Bowie) since who have come from a pure “pop” position and been so innovative while still keeping their “pop” status. There’s artists who’ve been “pop” and then “gone serious” but pretty much without exception them “going serious” has coincided with them “not selling many records anymore”.

The Beatles were experimenting with unheard of studio trickery, their image, loads of drugs, exotic foreign instruments and tunings etc. and still shifting truckloads of records to the kids. So, in summary, I do ‘get’ the Beatles even though I may not particularly ‘like’ them.

wukfit
    Free Member

A few i haven’t seen mentioned (probably means you’d all disagree)
    Guns N’ Roses
    Bon Jovi
    Bruce Springsteen
    Joni Mitchell

stewartc
    Free Member

Like to think I have an eclectic taste but I could never understand how Oasis got so popular and had such a big following?

Sonor
    Free Member

I think this shows just how middle aged(grumpy)this forums is.

Have a listen to some of the stuff on XFM or 6music to understand what vacuous means, it makes the majority of the bands mentioned above sound like they were lyrical and musical geniuses.

Except Coldplay.

Pigface
    Free Member

Wukfit for two of the names you have mentioned 😯

scratch
    Free Member

Frank Turners currently top of my list, he’s done well to get above Cohen…

headpotdog
    Free Member

Boba Fatt – Member

Used to feel the same about the Foo Fighters, but changed my opinion a year or two ago. Though not sure that counts for much, as my music taste is so eclectic.

Weirdly I went the other way. Loved them, aloved all their albums, then wen’t to see them at Milton keynes a couple of ears ago and the highlight for me was when Bob Mould came out on stage with them. Other than that It felt ver much like I was paying for their swimming pools.

Just goes to show how two people can experience the same event and come to different opinions. I went to the Milton Keynes gig too and came out absolutely blown away and a bigger fan than when I went in. (Bob Mould was pretty cool too though 😉 )

Bands I just don’t get:
    The Beatles
    Cream
    Beach Boys
    The Cribs
    I’m sure there are many others but nearly any R&B & rap artist would probably be on the list too.

CountZero

Exactly.
    I really, really, really don’t get the Manics, though.
    Oh, and Everything Everything and Jango Jango. What are they trying to be, exactly?

surfer
    Free Member

Bruce Springsteen

😯

Greenday. What are they for?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Is there a band you just dont get?’ is closed to new replies.