Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Is the woodland trust sympathetic to cyclists
  • finephilly
    Free Member

well I met the CEO once (Becky speight) nice lady but no interest in two wheels. fc and local farmers have always been the most sympathetic landowners for me.

twowheels
    Free Member

@matt_outandabout – thanks, great you have WT that allow cycles but that’s not the point I was making.

Qn. Do the WT webpages for the woods you mention specifically say something about cycling? Is there a bridleway /through/ the site?

My point was that it looks like unless indicated otherwise you should assume cycling is forbidden.

This is in the context of planning routes before riding them (based only on information available online)

oldnpastit

Unfriendly around here in Cambridgeshire.

They won’t get a penny from me.

BillOddie

My local woods are managed by them.

I don’t recall any anti-cyclist signage. Aside from occasionally fixing the odd fence they seem to do sweet FA.

tewit
    Free Member

There seems to be only a few fairly small WT woods near to me, so I’ve no idea about any of WT larger sites but I’ve no interest in wanting to use a woodland nature reserve as a bike park other than using bridleway. They’re not industrial FC plantations after all.
    Agree that they shouldn’t be allowed to become a dog bog though.

dissonance

but paintball? Seriously?

Since the thread was woken up and seen it for first time bit of a late response.
    People running around the woods, diving and crawling around. I can see how under certain scenarios (eg protecting rare plants as opposed to trees) it could be less than ideal. Depends how large the area it is and how frequently used.
    In my experience they are mixed. The more closely managed areas tend to be pretty cyclist unfriendly but then again overall they seem to try and heavily manage visitors with heavy nudging towards handful of paths. Although oddly they dont seem to try to hard to keep the dog owners in check so have ill trained dogs running all over the place.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

It’s the dog toilet trust. Any pretence it’s different doesn’t stand up to scrutiny.

Sandwich

Big_n_Daft, it’s full of lavor-trees then? IGMC

cchris2lou

The ones in North Kent are very unfriendly to cyclists.

coatesy
    Free Member

We have a small WT area near us that used to be a safer, and more interesting shortcut than the high speed tarmac alternative. We used it regularly since the early 90’s with no problems, meeting only one regular grumpy, everyone else being either tolerant, indifferent, or friendly. This has all changed over the last few years, with no cycling signs going up, and the inability of anyone we met to refrain from taking a pop at us, (consequently, we don’t use it any more). Pure conjecture on my part, but I can’t help think this attitude change (both here and elsewhere) seems to coincide with lots of unofficial trail building going on in other local woods.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

One of our local parkrun venues was on a woodland trust site. It was shut down as they were concerned with the the environmental impact.
    The statement about environmental concern over recreation rings true.

Ambrose

Time was that you could edit the WT Web page for specific woods. So a friend edited all the local woods around Carmarthen to state that they are bike friendly.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Is the woodland trust sympathetic to cyclists’ is closed to new replies.