Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Is the weather really all that much worse in Scotland?
  • sor
    Free Member

Because of the last couple of weeks weather in Glasgow, I've just put the mudguards back on.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah but Glen, you could be in Wales and have the best of both worlds – no midges, warmer weather and mountains 🙂

Okay so access laws aren't as good, and there's nothing like as much snow… And it's smaller…

yossarian
    Free Member

A couple of friends of mine moved from Aberdeen to East Kent last year. They cannot believe how warm its been down here (and its not been anything special). They are returning to Scotland soon with a cigarette lighter, coloured pencils and a map of europe as gifts for their village. 🙂

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Moved to Perthshire from Gloucestershire 4 years ago. It is definitely wetter, colder and windier a lot of the time. Quite normal for a 10 deg temp difference between us and the south. Had a 17 deg difference between the Western Isles and East Anglia last week

We seem to generall get good weather April to June then September to October with a rainy season in between. The winters seem tougher as well because the days are notably shorter than the south.

Having said all that, the upsides more than compensate for the weather downside and we would not dream of moving back

coffeeking
    Free Member

Old saying – no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate dress.

We're fairly inclusive here, if you want to wear a dress feel free, we probably won't judge.

stucol
    Free Member

Left my house in the hills to the south of Glasgow on Tuesday in torrential rain.

Arrived in Troon (on the coast about 20 miles away) to see people frolicing in the sea and slapping on the lotion.

I see this sort of thing all the time when i road bike towards the coast. Travel 10 miles and come out from under the cloud.

Dumfrieshire is much sunnier than Glasgow and has 5 of the 7 stanes. Keep wondering why i dont move there !

sherry
    Free Member

I live near Glasgow and the weather during May and June was very good with hardly any rain and good temperatures. July has been very poor so far though. I have been to the south west of England on a good few occasions and the weathers been better down there. I prefer to live where I am in the UK for the simple reason of the outdoor pursuits it has to offer. If I lived in the south of England I would be heading to mainland Europe much more though. Pros and cons to everything.

epicyclo

coffeeking – Member
    'Old saying – no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate dress.'
    We're fairly inclusive here, if you want to wear a dress feel free, we probably won't judge.

Well some people wear kilt tartans they are not entitled to. 🙂

devs
    Free Member

Here in Moray we get less rain and more sun than just about all of the UK. It's never as hot as down south. The 5 deg rule seems about right. All these grumbles about rain are a bit of an eye opener as we have had a couple of really wet days recently but that's about it since Apr. The ground has soaked it up and it's still rock hard. The weather changes more quickly up here, so a system affecting the UK hits us first and doesn't always make it all the way south. I've lived north east, east and west coasts of Scotland, Yorkshire, Midlands, East Anglia, Bath and Devon. There's nowhere I would prefer to live weather wise than here. Very occasionally it does annoy me when I see the heatwave news and we have a haar cooling it right down but far more often I sit having a private gloat when it's wet and miserable down south and we are enjoying sun and blue skies.

Diane
    Free Member

Moved to Scottish borders about 2 years ago from East Anglia – the weather is quite different – temperature about 5 degrees cooler and much more rain. This year has been good until July similar to other parts of the UK.

Wouldn't swap it for the world though and am itching to get back from my hols!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

There are Noticeably more rainy days on the west side of the uk due to the Atlantic low pressure systems The west highlands are espescially blighted because The influence of Azores and Continental highs does Not always extend that far north. So while England is saved from the depressions, they blast straight into west coast Scotland.

Edric64
    Free Member

Okay so access laws aren't as good, and there's nothing like as much snow… And it's smaller…

and full of the Welsh

Edric64
    Free Member

We live in a cool temperate western margin so our weather is by and large ..um cool and temperate

Northwind

I got pretty sunburned at Fort William earlier in the year. Look, blue sky!

I still have stripes on my calfs from the shinpad straps :mrgreen:

Today was nice in places despite the evil weather forecast, by and large it's been a good summer I reckon, we're just extra miserable just now because we got used to dry trails.

The weather in Glasgow is always wonder-full. Full of drugs and whores and buckfast…. :mrgreen:

saleem
    Free Member

From Inverness, lived in in NI for 6years and England for years, far warmer in the England 8)

Woody
    Free Member

Having lived in Aberdeen, London and now (in the middle) Durham, all the above re temp differences is true and if you pick your spot, with the right micro-climate, Scotland can give you the best of 'the UK'.

For me, it would be around Ballater (40 miles west of Aberdeen) – protected by hills from the wet west coast and far enough inland to miss a lot of the nasty stuff from the North Sea.

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Is the weather really all that much worse in Scotland?’ is closed to new replies.