Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 781 total)
  • Is the UK a Christian Country?
  • mogrim

Both have the same root, which they don’t follow. If your religion is based on another religion which you don’t believe in your religion has no foundation. If it did you’d go for the original religion. Surely?

I doubt muslims think their religion is “based on another religion” – it’s the word revealed to their prophet. Christians might agree that christianity is “based on” judaism, I suppose…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

No posts which in the opinion of the moderators[/i] are solely intended to, or are likely to provoke or abuse any individual or group.

This is the key thing. The opinion changes, depending on wether it’s grown up teh mods or tellytubby teh mods.

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes we are all deeply devout hell even I went to church today and it was not for a funeral or wedding or anything

ratswithwings
    Free Member

if you had to push people on it alot would say they believed in a god or gods.

believing in little baby jesus is a totally different matter.

Kevevs
    Free Member

I do feel like killing someone, who shall we kill? I mean we have to kill someone, I’ve got a big stick, I’m a bit confused….

hopefully on a huge plot of oil. WOO-YAY! just religionify it to make it “right”

RobHilton
    Free Member

“I doubt muslims think their religion is “based on another religion” – it’s the word revealed to their prophet. Christians might agree that christianity is “based on” judaism, I suppose…”

These would be Muslims who aren’t aware that Islam is rooted in Judaism then. Both Islam & Christianity trace back to Abraham.

aracer
    Free Member

the general consensus is that its so outdated its quite laughable

The general consensus in your head? Amongst your mates? On the STW forum? Because I’m fairly sure it’s not the general consensus amongst the population at large.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

esselgrunts trolling,no one is that stupid!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/5994047/Muslim-Europe-the-demographic-time-bomb-transforming-our-continent.html

I don’t usually do a TJ & don’t normally read much news or media TBH, & don’t even know how much of this item is true/untrue.
    Don’t troll either. can’t be arsed.

yunki
    Free Member

Kevevs
    Free Member

Nick Cave has not won a boxing tournament.

RobHilton
    Free Member

“the general consensus is that its so outdated its quite laughable”

If it was right then, it’ll be right now? Don’t think there’s a shelf-life on beliefs.

mogrim

These would be Muslims who aren’t aware that Islam is rooted in Judaism then. Both Islam & Christianity trace back to Abraham.

Don’t get me wrong: I personally don’t doubt that islam is rooted in the religious “landscape” around when it was born – including judaism – but I’d be very surprised to find a practising muslim saying their religion is based on another.

iDave
    Free Member

Nick Cave has not won a boxing tournament.

I haven’t read the thread but that is quite beautiful

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

“the tolerance that Christianity demands of our society provides greater space for other religious faiths too”

actually the bible says unless you except Jesus as you lord and saviour you will go to hell, to fundamentalist Christian being a Muslim is the same as worshipping the devil.

RobHilton
    Free Member

“I’d be very surprised to find a practising muslim saying their religion is based on another.”

Sounds like a challenge!

*Dons special Muslim hunting outfit*

The Qur’an teaches that Islam is the continued faithful religion in the same line as the Prophets who were before Muhammad: The same religion has He established for you as that which He enjoined on Noah … and that which We enjoined on Abraham, Moses, and Jesus (42:13 AYA). The result of this view is that the scriptures given by these Prophets are considered to be genuine scriptures from God: But say, “We (Muslims) believe in the Revelation which has come down to us and in that which came down to you (Jews & Christians); our Allah and your Allah is One” (29:46 AYA).

aracer
    Free Member

Rob – where were you on my angry atheists thread? I’m sure you could have contributed something there 😉

tjr666
    Free Member

OK so tell me why religion is NOT outdated then? If people still take the bible to be a good or true reflection of modern life, I find that incredibly hard to believe and also quite unerving!

tjr666
    Free Member

I probably should have put ‘the general concensus amongst rational free thinkers is…’

bencooper
    Free Member

OK so tell me why religion is NOT outdated then? If people still take the bible to be a good or true reflection of modern life, I find that incredibly hard to believe and also quite unerving!

I guess it’s not that it’s a reflection of modern life, it’s that it helps people cope with issues that appear in any life, at any time. Birth, death, stuff like that. I don’t know any Christians (or, indeed, anyone of any religion) who actually believes the word of their religious book.

Junkyard
    Free Member

scientlogy is not outdated it is al Sci – fi ,aliens and space travel and all those modern memes we have from science/improved knowledge of the world

RobHilton
    Free Member

“Rob – where were you on my angry atheists thread? I’m sure you could have contributed something there “

I don’t doubt it! However it was a bit long when I spotted it and I don’t like to be late to the party 🙂

bencooper
    Free Member

Yeah, but Scientology was made up by LRH as a joke – he’d think it’s the funniest thing ever that people take it seriously.

mogrim

The Qur’an teaches that Islam is the continued faithful religion in the same line as the Prophets who were before Muhammad: The same religion has He established for you as that which He enjoined on Noah … and that which We enjoined on Abraham, Moses, and Jesus (42:13 AYA). The result of this view is that the scriptures given by these Prophets are considered to be genuine scriptures from God: But say, “We (Muslims) believe in the Revelation which has come down to us and in that which came down to you (Jews & Christians); our Allah and your Allah is One” (29:46 AYA).

“Same” is not the same as “based on”, which is what I was arguing against.

Kevevs
    Free Member

oh shut up, everyone has an opinion or belief and right to it. so shut up! doesn’t mean they are irrational.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Surrounded By Zulus – Member

I have now read the article in full….

That’s damn decent of you. Most people who start a thread with a link usually don’t bother reading it. Thank you.

Junkyard
    Free Member

does if they feel the presence of an entity that does not actually exist and for which we have no evidence of its existence i would say it is pretty much the actual definition of irrational

the fact it is culturally acceptable does not make it any more rational

Delusions are irrational beliefs, held with a high level of conviction, that are highly resistant to change even when the delusional person is exposed to forms of proof that contradict the belief. Non-bizarre delusions are considered to be plausible; that is, there is a possibility that what the person believes to be true could actually occur a small proportion of the time. Conversely, bizarre delusions focus on matters that would be impossible in reality. For example, a non-bizarre delusion might be the belief that one’s activities are constantly under observation by federal law enforcement or intelligence agencies, which actually does occur for a small number of people. By contrast, a man who believes he is pregnant with German Shepherd puppies holds a belief that could never come to pass in reality. Also, for beliefs to be considered delusional, the content or themes of the beliefs must be uncommon in the person’s culture or religion.

Read more: Delusional disorder – define, causes, DSM, functioning, effects, therapy, paranoia, adults http://www.minddisorders.com/Br-Del/Delusional-disorder.html#b#ixzz1gjuvvGqX

ie we exempt religious belief from madness because they actually fit the definition – it is irrational we just accept it because it is common

Kevevs
    Free Member

you been watching Star Trek Junkyard? God exists as a human concept, and I’m fine with that human concept. Just go and unexplain that to 90% of the worlds rational human beings that are getting on with life and do beleive. I also believe in the human concept of Love. does any atheists want to prove a hug? I’m an atheist btw as in the way God is described.

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

i think people believe in god in the west as its a nicer was to view the world than the cold hard reality of atheism , of life’s shit then you die and rot in the ground.

mefty
    Free Member

By definition, faith is not rational, but rationality does not mean knowledge is complete, it merely means it is determined by reason and evidence. The Catholic Church’s “Fides et Ratio” holds, inter alia, that rationality and faith are both essential, and therefore hardly mutually exclusive.

As a matter of constitution, the Prime Minster is correct, our constitutional church is Christian. The law developed in this country is also largely based on Christian doctrine so again he is right. What he is not saying is everyone or even the majority are Christians.

As for a Prime Minster talking about religion, he was addressing an event celebrating the 400th anniversary of the King James Bible – I imagine it was kind of expected.

colournoise

its a nicer was to view the world than the cold hard reality of atheism , of life’s shit then you die and rot in the ground.

What’s not nice about the live, die, rot idea? I actually think it’s quite beautiful.

slainte ➡ rob

Junkyard
    Free Member

I have not seen star trek for years …… but i have memorised them all 😉

RobHilton
    Free Member

What’s not nice about the live, die, rot idea. I actually think it’s quite beautiful.

Back into the amazing recycling system of earth!

reality of atheism

Atheism not belief based then?

RobHilton
    Free Member

Dear jumpupanddown,

My life is not shit; I smile a lot.

Hugz,
    Rob.

Kevevs
    Free Member

why did I post that I sound like a right nob. Space girl in green you would eh Junkyard?

aracer
    Free Member

I probably should have put ‘the general concensus amongst rational free thinkers is…’

Ah – and your definition of “rational free thinker” is somebody who agrees with you?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I thought the OP was, ‘Is the UK a Christian Country?’
    So how do you get on about the origins of Islam from that?

RustySpanner

The major Ibrahamic religions stole some wonderful ideas from secular society and rebranded them as their own:

You know the ones:
    Treating others like you’d like to be treated yourself, don’t get jiggly with her next door, prawns go off in the sun, always wash yer knob, etc etc

Now, if there was an omnipotent being I’d like her to answer the important existential stuff, not just to be some celestial agony aunt.

Best just to treat everyone you meet as an opportunity to take the best out of humanity.

“I think that people are the greatest fun.”

Spot on Arthur.

yunki
    Free Member

What’s not nice about the live consume, die, rot idea?

sorry to burst your bubble there Rob.. it’s almost beautiful except for that one glaring defect..

🙁

molgrips
    Free Member

“Judge not, that ye be not judged”

Matthew 7:1

For all its religion bashing, this is something STW would do well to remember at times. I was just saying to Mrs Grips the other day that I thought the forum had made progress, but had a little slip today haven’t we?

Anyway, re the OP – this is not a Christian country. It is a country in which the majority are Christian. Christianity was imported once, you know.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 781 total)

The topic ‘Is the UK a Christian Country?’ is closed to new replies.