Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 781 total)
  • Is the UK a Christian Country?
  • SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Our illustrious leader says so, so it must be. Either that or he is a clueless moron.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-16224394

I have now read the article in full and can confidently confirm that he is a buffoon of the highest order. Carry on as your were.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I agree with you, but at the same time, it’s more christian than it is muslim.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

He’s obviously oblivious of whats happened in this country over the past (quite a few) years

either that or he’s a clueless moron.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

it’s more christian than it is muslim

For now.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Is it more non-believer than it is christian? Are ther more christians than all other faiths or beliefs put together?

geetee1972
    Free Member

I think that there is a little more nuance to it but ultimately I guess your suggestion is right.

Lot’s of people will give their ‘deomination’ as christian even if they aren’t practising. I think the figures for people who attend church regularly is something like 13% or thereabouts.

vinnyeh

How apt that David should share this today.

Describing himself as a “committed” but only “vaguely practising” Christian, the PM admitted he was “full of doubts” about big theological issues.

David Cameron, politician

religion is “violent, irrational, intolerant, allied to racism and tribalism and bigotry, invested in ignorance and hostile to free inquiry”,

Christopher Hitchens, thinker

Irrespective of my personal beliefs, give me a bit of commitment over the wishy-washy fence sitting bs anyday.

grantway
    Free Member

It certainly is and should not be forgotten

KennySenior
    Free Member

If it isn’t one, that Hitchens fella will tell us so. If he keeps quiet, then it must be.

CaptJon
    Free Member

esselgruntfuttock – Member
    it’s more christian than it is muslim

For now.

troll?

If not, how much do you think things could have changed in 10 years?

72% of the population (41m) identified themselves as Christians in the 2001 census. Almost 3% identified themselves as Muslims.

15% said no religion
    8% didn’t answer the question

colournoise

Not in my house it isn’t.

I’m with Hitchens and Dawkins.

slainte ➡ rob

hh45
    Free Member

I think it is but to me its more of a cultural thing than pure religion or theology. To me Eurpoe = christian. I expect an Arab to be a muslim and a Chinese a buddhist etc and find the whole concept of conversion quite wrong. Clearly all religions are equally dima nd only existed at all as a means of control and prhaps explaining stuff that science now can explain so in a modern world there is no need for it at all.

I live next to a mosque and enjoy the multi culteralism we have but at our core we are christian. That said none of it bothers me much. Apart from zealots and other people that try to claim their religion is right or best because that is wholly illogical IMO.

project
    Free Member

Strange how failing politicians turn to religion when all else fails, tony bliars name comes to mind.

I also wonder what religion worships at the out of town shopping centres every sunday.

RobHilton
    Free Member

I’m not, and so isn’t my wife.

aracer
    Free Member

I have now read the article in full and can confidently confirm that he is a buffoon of the highest order. Carry on as your were.

Go on then haterz – explain to me exactly what he said in that article is wrong and why.

RobHilton
    Free Member

^How about this bit?

“the tolerance that Christianity demands of our society provides greater space for other religious faiths too”

Most of the serious Christians I know think Islam is a competitor, and wrong, and have no idea that it’s really the same as Christianity. I don’t think this is due to being Christians, rather they are ignorant pricks who happen to be Christian.

saxabar
    Free Member

I don’t think of it as one, but I recognise there are many Christians (as well as other religions) in it who have a say about the the UK’s values (although I still think anyone who believes religion is bonkers).

Kevevs
    Free Member

WGAF? come up with you own ideas and thoughts and follow them. no need for a government to tell you how to pour milk properly. I’ve killed 3 rabbits and a tarantula today.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Before people get the wrong end of the stick, I am not against any religion. People can have faith in whatever t hey want to have faith in as far as I’m concerned. Religion and politics should never meet though.

aracer
    Free Member

What’s the preceding para say, Rob?

aracer
    Free Member

Religion and politics should never meet though.

But they do. Live with it. At the level it happens in this country it’s not like it’s an awful thing. If we lived in the US you might have a point.

mogrim

Most of the serious Christians I know think Islam is a competitor, and wrong, and don’t see how it’s really the same as Christianity. I don’t think this is due to being Christians, rather they are ignorant pricks who happen to be Christian.

Not sure how you work that one out, it’s definitely a serious competitor, and wrong. Where they get it wrong is in thinking that christianity is right.

RobHilton
    Free Member

“What’s the preceding para say, Rob? “

You mean this?

“Many people tell me it is much easier to be Jewish or Muslim here in Britain than it is in a secular country like France,” he said.

Not sure that’s down to

“the tolerance that Christianity demands of our society”

CaptJon
    Free Member

i find the assertion christianity has a monopoly on a certain set of values pretty stupid.

Karinofnine

The monarcb is the Defender of the Faith, yes, christianity is still the ‘official’ religion of the UK. Church of England to be axact, courtesy of Henry VIII, before him it was a catholic country, but he wanted to divorce (Catherine of Aragon I think), catholicism did not permit divorce so HVIII flipped Rome the bird and started his own branch of christianity, and here we are now.

bigyinn
    Free Member

SBZ are you just trying to wind people up tonight?
    Or do you always try and pick contentious subjects? Like HERE You’ve deliberately tried to wind up another forum member this eve. OR HERE

Kevevs
    Free Member

religion and politics are not quite the same thing but follow a similar agenda. Belief and control.

aracer
    Free Member

Not sure that’s down to

In your opinion – I hardly think that because his opinion differs from yours that justifies calling him a buffoon (I know those weren’t your words, but they were the words I was asking for justification for).

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Here come the Angry Atheists again. Duller and more fundamental than a religious fundamentalist.

aracer
    Free Member

SBZ are you just trying to wind people up tonight?
    Or do you always try and pick contentious subjects?

Been here long, bigyinn? Heard of Trolling Zoo Fighter, smee, glupton etc.?

kimbers

esselgrunts trolling,no one is that stupid!

i find daves waffle offensive
    religion is an anachronism, jesus ! homosexuality was ilegal 50 years ago we’re still struggling with the legacy of so many repressive inhibitions from some ancient ramblings invented to subjugate society.
    the bible has to be ‘interpreted’ to ignore all the slavery, murder, sexism, racism, prejudice and general nastiness
    and the history of science is pretty much a battle with religious ignorance.
    I dont need to be told that murder is a sin by institutions that have spent the last 50 years systematically covering up the worlds biggest paedophile rings

the sooner that we evolve out of the need for this psychological crutch the better we will be

i do like old churches though!

aracer
    Free Member

Here come the Angry Atheists again

Except that I would (and did) argue that atheists have reasonable cause to be angry about some things – see which side I’m arguing here (and that’s not just because I like being contrary).

RobHilton
    Free Member

“Not sure how you work that one out, it’s definitely a serious competitor, and wrong. Where they get it wrong is in thinking that christianity is right.”

Both have the same root, which they don’t follow. If your religion is based on another religion which you don’t believe in your religion has no foundation. If it did you’d go for the original religion. Surely?

How I work out they’re not competitors is that they both picked bits they liked from Judaism (which probably picked bits from something else) and made up some other bits and called it “right”.

So are they not both as wrong as each other. The same thing???

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Not trolling. Simply like to start discussions on articles or videos that I think are quite controversial. It’s good to use STW as a barometer sometimes.

tjr666
    Free Member

No one realy knows at the end of the day, stats are stats and as such are usually a load of b*ll*cks anyway, but to be fair, religion plays very little part to most peoples lives these days (unless you are above a certain age) the general consensus is that its so outdated its quite laughable and quite frankly a load of b*ll*cks to boot. So to sum it up: load of b*ll*cks 😛

RobHilton
    Free Member

“In your opinion – I hardly think that because his opinion differs from yours that justifies calling him a buffoon (I know those weren’t your words, but they were the words I was asking for justification for).”

I’m pretty sure there are Christian countries out there that aren’t as tolerant as the UK, therefore it’s not the Christianity that makes them tolerant. My point here being that out of the however many countries there are religion isn’t necessarily the main factor in the tolerance level enjoyed, but other social aspects could play a very large part. As religion is on the decline in Britain it may be other aspects that are more largely responsible for our “tolerant” society?

EDIT: And re the buffoon thing. DC knows he has to used a measured approach in EVERYTHING he says. I, you, she etc. might think he’s a cockbag, but I always have some level of respect for anyone leading our country as I just can’t get my head around how they handle not going postal and screaming at everyone to just **** off when they’ve got a seriously stressful job – which he WILL be trying to do to the best of his ability whilst all the while getting criticised and monitored for every little thing he says and having to have an opinion on every little thing that he quite possible couldn’t give a shit about, but has to answer the nice peoples’ questions otherwise he’ll be dogged by the press and never be left to get on with what he’s supposed to be doing.

EDIT 2: Self scoring a 7.3/10 for that 🙂

tjr666
    Free Member

Religion is pretty much like smoking…theres no need for it, its pretty disgusting and inevitably leads to harm.

wrecker
    Free Member

WGAF x2
    Saying that the UK is a Christian country means FA. It doesn’t change the people in it, their choices or how they behave. It’s like suddenly calling my dog dave. Still the same dog.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Surrounded By Zulus – Member

Not trolling. Simply like to start discussions on articles or videos that I think are quite controversial.
    So starting deliberately provocative threads isn’t trolling then? 🙄

bigyinn
    Free Member

From da rulz

No posts which in the opinion of the moderators are solely intended to, or are likely to provoke or abuse any individual or group.

Good luck!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 781 total)

The topic ‘Is the UK a Christian Country?’ is closed to new replies.