Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 226 total)
  • Is the term "Jock" offensive or racist?
  • winston_dog
    Free Member

Coming from the other little thread, is the term “Jock” offensive?

Personally I would suggest it is no more offensive than being called a “Limey” by the “Yanks”? Not very polite but hardly offensive.

ton

no more than ‘fat’ is.

scotroutes

Yes

BoardinBob

Probably no more offensive than the collective name us “Jocks” use for the English…

fasthaggis

Never bothered me when I was doon sooth ,I always had plenty smart arse comments to throw back.

🙂

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Is it worse than “sweaty sock”?

jekkyl

It’s probably racist but not all that offensive. I’m scottish and I don’t start crying if someone calls me it.

johnners
    Free Member

Depends on how it’s used. If it’s used with the intention of belittling or demeaning (as it usually is on here) then yes, it’s offensive.

yossarian
    Free Member

the key is in how it is received.

I live properly down south and I used to know a scottish bloke who’s nickname was jocky. He never seemed to mind particularly and it wasn’t used in a derogatory way, just a name. I met him a couple of years back and he told me that he’d hated it but hadn’t felt that he could mention this as he felt he would get a huge amount of grief if he did.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I do find it objectionable because of the way in which it is used rather than the term itself. In my experience it is not used affectionately, generaly deployed by WASPs. Having worked with a lot of “frenchies” in my time they used to call me “Haggis” (AGEEESS!) which was more playful. Only the English call us Jocks!

peterfile
    Free Member

If people I don’t know call me a jock or sweaty sock, it irritates me and is generally followed by a suitable retort.

If it’s mates then I don’t care.

xiphon
    Free Member

Racist? You mean xenophobic?

patriotpro
    Free Member

Probably no more offensive than the collective name us “Jocks” use for the English…

I wouldn’t deem ‘superiors’ as offensive.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

It’s always meant to be when I use it….

gonefishin
    Free Member

As with most of these terms it is the context that render the word offensive, not the word itself. I have however never found the term “sweaty” or “sweaty sock” to be used in anything other than an offensive way.

Sancho
    Free Member

Is scouser or geordie or taff or tyke cockney or ****

winston_dog
    Free Member

generaly deployed by WASPs

The most stereo typically WASPs I have ever met have been Scottish. They took their bigotry to another level!

winston_dog
    Free Member

Is scouser or geordie or taff or tyke cockney or ****

**** – Yes. Surprised with that one.

Geordie – No. Unless the person is actually from Sunderland. Although it could be argued that if that mistake is made it’s actually a complement. 🙂

Woody
    Free Member

Some people are such sensitive little souls.

Anyone from Wales get offended by ‘Taffy’, and what about ‘Paddy’?

Edit : beaten by Winston and lol as my OH always corrects people when she is called Geordie as she was born in Hartlepool !

Junkyard
    Free Member

I wouldn’t deem ‘superiors’ as offensive.

You are a superior to no one so you will never hear it
    Been shopping lately?

theonlywayisup
    Free Member

I’ve never heard a fellow Scot refer to another using that term. That should be a clue to those who persist in using the term. It’s disrespectful.

peterfile
    Free Member

Some people are such sensitive little souls.

It’s not being sensitive. It’s taking offence to someone trying to act like a dick towards you 🙂

winston_dog
    Free Member

It’s disrespectful.

But is it offensive?

iolo
    Free Member

Taffy is better than the usual sheep shagger but is still bloody annoying.

EDIT: How about bloody pommes, rosebief?

Junkyard
    Free Member

are you offended by a lack of respect?

Some people are such INsensitive little souls TOOLS.

Its ok between mates but its a lazy stereotype
    like calling someone french a frog etc
    Its not designed to be nice but when they object the users says they lack humpur and its only a laugh etc

Its poor rand I dont do it

PS Taff is South Wales it is Gogs for North Wales

peterfile
    Free Member

But is it offensive?

It’s intended to be derogatory, so yes.

I would never dream of calling someone I didn’t know a “taff” or “paddy”, since i’ve got a basic grasp of social skills. Therefore when someone uses “jock” to me, it’s an easy way to work out where they fit in the scale of Nice Person to Complete ****.

Sancho
    Free Member

**** yes it’s used by my Indian colleagues. But I also heard it a lot in bradford but justified as simply a shortening of pakistani
    Same as thai or aussie etc

Woody
    Free Member

It’s intended to be derogatory, so yes.

Can’t agree with that, as I’ve heard it used quite fondly on many occasions.

peterfile
    Free Member

Can’t agree with that, as I’ve heard it used quite fondly on many occasions.

As I said above, if it’s between friends than yes, it’s fine. But if you think as a stranger, you can call someone a jock and they’ll think you’re using it fondly, you probably need to work on those social skills 😉

I used to get chatting to plenty of people when i lived in England who would say something like “yeah, i love the jocks” as if it was some sort of compliment. It’s not 🙂

kayak23

I remember this…

Sancho
    Free Member

A lot of nicknames used this year in morzine in the gypsy camp were based on where you were from I can’t remember anyone’s actual name now

iolo
    Free Member

Being Welsh, what I like to be called is my name.
    I’m sure every other nation will agree.
    If you can’t be bothered to remember someone’s name what a nice guy you are.

EDIT: not meant at you Sancho, you typed it while I was typing

Woody
    Free Member

I used to get chatting to plenty of people when i lived in England who would say something like “yeah, i love the jocks” as if it was some sort of compliment. It’s not

Well it’s better than “I hate the jocks” 😉

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I am from Glasgow (originally) and I don’t take offence to being called a Weegie even if it includes the usual “soap dodger” addendum. Again this is mostly playful but Jocks, no; because it’s a term most often used by little english people in a demeaning context.

bencooper
    Free Member

Aye, Weegie is playful – Jock is never used by someone who’s wanting to be nice in my experience.

scotroutes

Perhaps by some Scots folk coming forward and identifying it as derogatory and offensive, those who have previously used it have learnt something and will now stop doing so?

gordonb
    Free Member

Is “jock” offensive?

Well, is Sassanah offensive?

I think the answer lies in who uses it in which manner

peterfile
    Free Member

Well, is Sassanah offensive?

Of course it is!

The only exception perhaps being if you’re delivering a history lesson.

yossarian
    Free Member

whilst we are talking about this I’d be interesting to hear what terms the Scottish use for the English that you would consider to be derogatory as well.

gordonb
    Free Member

answers the question really

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 226 total)

The topic ‘Is the term "Jock" offensive or racist?’ is closed to new replies.