Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Is the tacx 2240 still the zwift weapon of choice for those on a budget
  • pop-larkin
    Free Member

As the title- with the dark nights and rain etc Im preparing to accept the inevitable lack of drive to get muddy and wet on a weekday evening so thinking of getting a smart turbo set up

The tacx 2240 is the obvious budget choice- how are people finding them long term durability wise?

Any alternatives I should be considering max budget £350

muggomagic

Had mine almost a year now and it’s been spot on. Only issue I had was when I got it home and it was missing the skewer and screws. Took it back to Halfords and went through all the boxes they had and they were all missing them (they should definitely be included BTW) they ended up opening one of the other models up and getting the bits out of there. It’s worth checking before you leave the shop if you do get one.
    I guess the packer at Tacx must’ve had a liquid lunch before packing that batch.

Sandwich

You might want to have a look at Rose bikes where the 2400 is under £200 delivered.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jam-bo

T2400 isn’t controllable.

zigzag69
    Free Member

Very happy with mine… Coming up for a year, and Strava says just over 1500 problem free miles.

tiim
    Free Member

Mine is great, 43 hours since the beginning of Feb, initially as a dumb trainer and working to the power using the gears then recently using it with Trainerroad being controlled from my phone via bluetooth.

The response on short intervals could be better (i.e. take a couple of seconds to ramp in) but for the price it is giving me structured workout and motivation to do morning / evening sessions I wouldn’t do outside. Build seems fine, stable not damaged the bike etc.

They’re usually about £220 in Halfords so sub 200 with BC discount

stumpy01

Mine works OK….but it wasn’t easy getting to a working point.

First one had no skewer or fixings in the box (as above). Took it back and got a replacement – checked it in store & the same problem, so got the skewer & fixings from another model while still instore.

Updated Firmware as recommended on several websites, which bricked the device.
    Swapped it the next day for the one that I had returned the day before (for missing bits) and that one also bricked when doing the firmware update.
    I suspect this was due to trying to do this with a fairly old phone. But, I don’t really know the exact cause.

Got in contact with Tacx who reckon I had been ‘unlucky’ and sent out a brake unit direct with the updated firmware on it. That has worked fine, although the roller has started clicking – seems like a common issue with Tacx low-end trainers.

Overall – it’s worth getting and seeing how you get on with it. If/when I replace it, I’ll be getting something else.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

OK thanks everyone- signed up to British Cycling and got one ordered- hopefully I wont get a Friday afternoon one!

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Should the 2240 come with a suitable skewer for a 142x12mm bolt thru, as supplied on the Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc?

Getting very tempted myself, definitely much harder to get out the door now in autumn compared to early summer, but slightly concerned Cube don’t cover frame breakage from trainer use and sadly no turbo I’m aware of will fit the 170mm rear hub Wazoo.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Is the tacx 2240 still the zwift weapon of choice for those on a budget’ is closed to new replies.