Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Is the Solaris (29") just a bigger Soul? (26")
  • jekkyl

The new Solaris with 29″ wheels Vs Mk2 26″ Soul.
    I see the head angle is slightly steeper on the solaris, would this make any significant difference to the riding? (68 vs 69.25)
    or just answer this question however you feel: Is the Solaris just a bigger Soul? & why.

Thanks.

kelvin

Head angle is slacker on the latest Solaris than the 26″ Soul, isn’t it?
    And reach is a far chunk longer.
    The wheels give it a very different “character” in my opinion.

metalheart
    Free Member

Nope, I have a Mk 1 Soul and a Mk 1 Solaris. They are definitely different.

The different wheel sizes I’d say account for most of it though.

New Solaris has been tweaked, longer ETT and as Kelvin indicates slightly slacker too (down to 80mm fork being pretty much obsolete these days). Think they even put in a little more clearance at the back too.

I tend to pick the Solaris most times.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Never ridden a Soul but had a go on a Solaris. AFAIK the tubes are thicker on the Solaris and so doesn’t have the inbuilt flex of the Soul, or so I have been told.

jekkyl

Ahh yes, every day’s a school day, thanks Lads. Just been reading up on bike geometry. I presumed the greater the number the slacker it is, when it is in fact the opposite. This increases the appeal of the Solaris I feel.

metalheart
    Free Member

The tubes make be thicker but the 27.5 Soul also now has a 31.6 ID seat tube and an oval form top tube. Head/steerer tube on sol is 44/soul is tapered. Not sure you’d want much flex at the head/top tube juncture. Obv different for a soul Mk 2 (still 27.2 then weren’t they?)

Back end appears to be pretty similar.

Flex in the bigger wheels probably would me more noticeable.

I’d take a 31.6 seat tube over a 27.2 any day as reduced flex when putting load on the pedals is good in my book.

metalheart
    Free Member

And reach is a far chunk longer.

😳 yes, iirc it was 10mm longer on mk1, now even longer due to OFI. Makes a medium sol bang on for me (mk1 soul being slightly too short…. I may have mentioned this elsewhere, oh, just once or twice… 😳 )

letmetalktomark

IMHO Solaris is a 29er version of the BFE from a ride feel.

Much stiffer than the Soul I had (27.2mm ST version), quick but not what i wanted it to be.

This is just my 2 cents (I’m a Cotic fanboy too)

bianchiboy
    Free Member

Becoming a Cotic fan,seriously thinking about a Solaris 27.5plus purchase. Is it worth 2.5k for a hardtail i’m wondering even in 1×11 XT build?

jekkyl

I wouldn’t buy the full build Bianchiboy as imo NO it’s not worth 2.5k The frames just 500 quid and then spec it yourself from your parts bin and 2nd hand or new.
    My issue is with the colours available. I don’t like either green or orange and would love a sparkley purple one or black or dark blue. So I’m considering one and getting it powdercoated and stealth without decals, so can perhaps never sell it on. (not that I would)

While I’ve been composing this email I’ve looked at the build page and there is gunmetal and yellow (yuck) coming late march. Might be time to put my hand in my pocket.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

I’ve owned both a BFe and Solaris so cant compare to the Soul. The Solaris was a pleasure to ride everywhere I took it. Secretly regretted flogging it.

iain1775
    Free Member

I wouldn’t buy the full build Bianchiboy as imo NO it’s not worth 2.5k The frames just 500 quid and then spec it yourself from your parts bin and 2nd hand or new.

Just done similar with a BFe, that frame is only £350 but built up with Pikes, Stans wheels, XTR cranks and shifter and everything else XT, Reverb carbon Haven bars etc for £1600
    Re-used cranks, brakes and reverb only, had I bought these it would still have com in under the full build £2100 cost which is to a much lesser spec

Vortexracing

Is the Solaris just a bigger Soul? & why

absolutely not !!!

Having had 3 26″ Soul and tried a Solaris over Christmas, they are very different animals.

The Soul feels playful and ‘flickable’ (if that’s even a word)

The Solaris planted and more stable, but also less manoeuvrable, unless you put a lot of effort in.

They are great bikes but have different strengths in different places.

thebadabing

My issue is with the colours available

New colours are coming out….I’m looking at the solaris 29er in gun mental grey. What ever you decide…dont get m8000 brakes…nothing but problems

bianchiboy
    Free Member

Yep gunmetal Gloss is my fav & worth waiting until late March.

Thought XT M8000 brakes were pukka??

jekkyl

I’d quite like to see a pic of the whole frame/bike in the gun metal but there isn’t one on the site. If anyone spots one link it up please.

thebadabing

Thought XT M8000 brakes were pukka??

I’ve had two sets of replacements. Search this forum and you’ll see lots of problems with them. In hindsight I wish I hadn’t bought them, to make matters worse I have the new ispec xt shifter too, so it will only work with the new xt brakes 🙁

thebadabing

I’d quite like to see a pic of the whole frame/bike in the gun metal but there isn’t one on the site. If anyone spots one link it up please.

It’s the same as the escapade….I know isn’t a pic of the solaris but a good indicator. The yellow one looks cool too

bianchiboy
    Free Member

There will be a Solaris in gunmetal at the London bike show,going on Saturday so will have a look and take a pic or 2.

bianchiboy
    Free Member

I’ve had two sets of replacements. Search this forum and you’ll see lots of problems with them. In hindsight I wish I hadn’t bought them, to make matters worse I have the new ispec xt shifter too, so it will only work with the new xt brakes

Thanks for the heads up,deore brakes are £100 less on the build spec.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Is the Solaris (29") just a bigger Soul? (26")’ is closed to new replies.