• This topic has 37 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Is the samosa the equivalent of a Cornish pasty ?
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Similar concepts of style and filling !

Any other world food equivalents like that ?

molgrips
    Free Member

Burrito

I think most cultures have had the need for portable food at some point in time.

4130s0ul
    Free Member

Jamaican Patties, Quesadillas, Devonshire pasty (tip a Cornish pasty on it’s side…same thing)

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Welsh oggie

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Empanadas from South America are similar. And very nice!

gears_suck
    Free Member

Jamaican Patties, Quesadillas, Devonshire pasty (tip a Cornish pasty on it’s side…same thing)

I don’t know where you’re getting your quesadillas, but they shouldn’t be remotely like any of the other items you list. They aren’t made with pastry and contain no potato?

molgrips
    Free Member

I think he means portable food – ie something self contained you can carry about and eat. Quesedillas only work for this if they are cold…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Chicken tikka baguette – that’s a bit like a samosa.

No wait, that’s a sandwich.

Gosh, this is a hard one.

mogrim

In Spain: hornaza, empanadas, empanadillas. Generally a bit too much pastry / not enough filling IMO.

pondo

Someone tried to sell me the idea that calzone is an Italian pastie.

I wasn’t buying.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Similar yes, although eating more than one pastie is an achievement whilst many samosas is essential

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Americans have these things called French fries they are a bit like chips only skinnier which is kind of ironic. They do have chips but you’d be disappointed if you ordered them with a piece of cod.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Snails

chewkw
    Free Member

Is the samosa the equivalent of a Cornish pasty

Well isn’t Cornish pasty just baked pastry with filings like any others?

To be honest Cornish pasty are just fine to eat but not spectacular at all and sometimes expensive.

Most Cornish pasty I have eaten are full of peppers taste with some meat but the taste is blunt …

If Samosa is done properly it can taste much better than Cornish pasty.

If you ask me to choose I would choose Samosa any day … provided the spices used in the Samosa are balanced and not oily.

olddog

Meat and potato pie surely?

seosamh77
    Free Member

what’s in a cornish pasty? just the same as a bridie?

tang
    Free Member

Samosa is deep fried, not so good for a pocket. Back at the family home in India samosa is mainly a street food snack taken in the early evening. Straight out of the oil into a leaf bowl, broken slightly and slathered with very hot sauce/chutney, always two. Mmmmmmm

chewkw
    Free Member

tang – Member
    Samosa is deep fried, not so good for a pocket. Back at the family home in India samosa is mainly a street food snack taken in the early evening. Straight out of the oil into a leaf bowl, broken slightly and slathered with very hot sauce/chutney, always two. Mmmmmmm

It does not have to be deep fried because in other South East Asia countries they have two versions:

1. Deep fried very oily ones because they are easy to make.
    2. Baked ones because they have the equipment to bake them.

Both are very popular if you get the ingredients right.

tang
    Free Member

Not much baking in India!

chewkw
    Free Member

tang – Member
    Not much baking in India!

Not much baking in the street of SE Asia too but they taste good … 😆
    However, there are always few stalls (street food) selling bake ones and they usually sold out within two hours … arrghhh …

LeeW

Samosas cost 15 to 25p around here, if anyone can get me Cornish pasties for the same price I’ll be there in 30 minutes.

chewkw
    Free Member

LeeW – Member
    Samosas cost 15 to 25p around here, if anyone can get me Cornish pasties for the same price I’ll be there in 30 minutes.

I have seen giant Samosas sold here in the Toon (Newcastle) central train station before (few years back) the size of Cornish pasties or larger priced at £3 to £3.80 … I did not buy them because I did not believe paying that much for a snack in those days, still don’t, … it is Not supposed to be a meal for me.

deadkenny
    Free Member

chewkw – Member
    Well isn’t Cornish pasty just baked pastry with filings like any others?

To be honest Cornish pasty are just fine to eat but not spectacular at all and sometimes expensive.

Most Cornish pasty I have eaten are full of peppers taste with some meat but the taste is blunt …

Very likely not a true Cornish pasty then.

Outside of fresh baked ones in Cornwall most people get to taste is Ginsters and shit like that are bland, very dry and sometimes crammed with pepper to make it taste okay.

Living down there for a bit and getting fresh steak ones from a local shop was just a revelation. Juicy tender steak pieces, soft onion, not over filled with potato, soft pastry but not crumbly, and size as big as your head! Awesome.

But then fish & chips down there was something different. Fresh cod off the boats that were massive.

tang
    Free Member

I must say Punjabi samosa are my favourite, washed down with hot chai.

Drac

No Cornish pasties are nothing like samosas. Samosas are tasty.

flowerpower
    Free Member

Fried Mars bar 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

what’s in a cornish pasty? just the same as a bridie?

The traditional recipe is onion, beef, swede and potato all diced, with plenty of pepper. However the modern shops sell all sorts from chicken tikka to stilton and whatnot to apple and other sweet things.

chewkw
    Free Member

deadkenny – Member
    Very likely not a true Cornish pasty then.

I suspected that …

… most people get to taste is Ginsters …

You are absolutely right and I also think people then try to copy that taste from Ginsters by calling them Cornish pasty. Most “Cornish” pasty I tried are great disappointment in the North East to be honest.

But I still prefer Fish & Chips if they are available and I mean the proper ones …

tang – Member
    I must say Punjabi samosa are my favourite, washed down with hot chai.

That sauce looks a bit like my breakfast in the far east where I used to have Chapati or Roti with daal every morning with a “chai” (different version).

Drac – Moderator
    No Cornish pasties are nothing like samosas. Samosas are tasty.

No proper Cornish pasties in the Toon I am afraid.

flowerpower – Member
    Fried Mars bar

In the far east we have something like that and we eat them every year during the new year. It’s like sticky brown sugar deep fried with batter.

Drac

No proper Cornish pasties in the Toon I am afraid.

I wouldn’t know I’ve never bought one their.

Mackem

Cottage pie – lasagna – mousakka

All pretty similar really.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Proper Cornish Pasty’s are gorgeous and not like Samosa’s at all. They’re not a fast food snack and a full on meal really. There’s a shop in Derby that sells real Cornish Pasty’s (or used to be, not sure if it is still there or not) – they’re made fresh every day in Cornwall, shipped up, can be bought un-cooked so you can cook them at home. They’re pretty darn good – as good as you can get outside of Cornwall.

I love Samosa’s too though.

I’d consider it animal cruelty if you fed a Ginsters to a dog.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Free samosas cw chilli sauce in the Castle Hotel Mombassa : 😕

TooTall
    Free Member

I’ve recently discovered pupusas and gorditas. Latin American stuffed delights.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Keswick and Whitehaven Cornish Pasty shop (yes in Cumbria) possibly the reason I never felt hungry

(edit in a good way)

BillMC

Pupusas are great post Pilseners.

mildbore

Poppadums are equivalent to crisps?
    Also try bateda, basically chips but fried in spices, delicious

nickc

Pasty not even Cornish really. Might even be (sit down, brace yourself…) French in origin.

Name derives from the old French for a Pie (Paste/Pasta, confusingly)

DezB
    Free Member

Also a-bit-like-a-pasty. Might make a mess of your back pocket though 😉

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Is the samosa the equivalent of a Cornish pasty ?’ is closed to new replies.