Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Is the rise in cycling's popularity necessarily a good thing?
  • mikeconnor
    Free Member

Edit: My apologies Mike, didn’t mean to put word into your mouth. So what are you saying? Is it that all drivers have to stop breaking the speed limit before you’ll show them respect?

Accepted. No, I just meant that respect should be mutual, and it’s no good motorists complaing about cyclists’ misdemeanours when their own transgressions can and are far more dangerous and have far greater consequences.

MrAgreeable

My issue is with people who have gotten all up themselves, having recently discovered cycling

I’d say the bigger issue with cycling is people who’ve been doing it for ages and can’t or won’t see the barriers to more people taking it up.

pinetree
    Free Member

No, I just meant that respect should be mutual, and it’s no good motorists complaing about cyclists’ misdemeanours when their own transgressions can and are far more dangerous and have far greater consequences.

Absolutely, but it’s still better to be the bigger man about it, and that only works if everyone does the same. A world where drivers and cyclists both behave perfectly, nice thought isn’t it? 😆 I can keep dreamin…

barn
    Free Member

Bikes rock.
    The more people who ride, the better.

dazh

My issue is with people who have gotten all up themselves, having recently discovered cycling.

So where is the evidence that this is the case, or is it an assumption that you’ve made?

Even assuming that you’re right, maybe these newbies, after being encouraged by the modern resurgence in cycling, and the spiraling costs and unreliability of driving/public transport, have discovered to their horror that driving standards in this country are far worse than they thought, and rather than impotently complain on internet forums and newspaper comment boards, they’ve decided to try to do something about it. Are you saying that’s a bad thing?

mogrim

Perhaps I didn’t phrase that correctly, there is no definite timescale. My issue is with people who have gotten all up themselves, having recently discovered cycling. Think: Luke Skywalker preaching to/lecturing Han Solo about not believing in the Force, only days after he’s discovered it himself… bit dickish, no?

That’s pretty much how you came across in your first post – 26, recently out of university, and you know it all. But with no Death Star painted on the side of your X-wing.

ransos
    Free Member

I see a large number of RLJers around me and I personally I think it’s a real piss take towards drivers.

If we can’t obey something as fundamental as a red light, why would drivers treat us with the utmost respect?

I see car drivers RLJing every single day. I personally think it’s a real piss take towards pedestrians.

brooess
    Free Member

In response to the OP’s question I think there’s an element of power and changing power on the roads going on here.
    cars have been mass usage from 1950s onwards. Most people alive today therefore know nothing other then being able to drive where they want, when they want, without having to worry too much about cyclists.

There are more cyclists now which means a change in driver behaviour is necessary – primarily having to think a little more about others.

I think the core of the bad attitude to cyclists is simply this, it means the balance of power on the roads has changed.

When the car driving masses either ride themselves or get used to this change, things should be better. But for now, we’re in a transition period whilst car drivers will need to adapt their expectations and behaviour. Some are ok to do this, some are like small children and throwing a tantrum (or an egg!)

I don’t think it helps that modern cars cocoon drivers from the risks they take, and so they have little awareness of the riskiness of their driving style for others.

I think the required kind of culture change we’re expecting will take 10+ years to come through… better enforcement of current law would help IMO

oliverd1981
    Free Member

A savvy motorist should realise that every bike they see in town is “one less car” and as the only thing a driver likes less then cyclists is other cars, we are indeed doing our bit to make his day just a little bit happier.

I don’t think the rise of the cyclist is the problem, but the continuing growth in the number of people isn’t helping anyone.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

but the continuing growth in the number of people isn’t helping anyone.

guff– its good for midwives and undertakers..

richmtb

I see car drivers RLJing every single day. I personally think it’s a real piss take towards pedestrians.

I see car drivers RLJing every single day. I personally think it’s a real piss take towards me trying to turn right at the traffic lights 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Is the rise in cycling's popularity necessarily a good thing?’ is closed to new replies.