Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Is the poshest bike shop ever?
  • piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Was a bit worried about the ‘Shoeing Area’, though. Was half expecting a couple of bevvied up West Ham fans sitting there waiting for you.

I’d be worried if they were Millwall!

atlaz
    Free Member

One simply has to have one’s Equerry leave one’s card (embossed, real gold leaf lettering) with the chap and ask it to be charged.

Surely there’s a little too much “having” and “asking” in that. You need better staff.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Surely there’s a little too much “having” and “asking” in that. You need better staff

One has to make sacrifices in these days of ‘austerity’. One has to be seen to be doing one’s ‘bit’

atlaz
    Free Member

Fair point. I’m typing this myself rather than dictating it from my bath. I’m typing it from the bath and have dropped 3 laptops into the water so far but sacrifices have to be made.

matt_bl
    Free Member

GJP – Member
    That’s nothing compared to the guys as SigmaSport in Hampton Wick nr Kingston. Yes bespoke is a little more niche but sigma sport does niche and scale

SigmaSportShopTour

I love the sign on the front of the shop.

ROAD[/u] cycling and Triathlon

might as well add, no MTBs you muddy scumbags!

Matt

BristolPablo
    Free Member

Sounds like the owner has enough money saved from a career in banking to fund the shop regardless of whether it makes a profit. I wonder how many bike shops envy that position! Cant decide if i had a bike shop whether I woould follow this business model or stick to my plan of giving free coffee to soaking wet customers covered in mud from a day in the hills…. Fair play to them though, whats £10k to a city type whose bonus is six figures?

wrecker
    Free Member

That’s nothing compared to the guys as SigmaSport in Hampton Wick nr Kingston. Yes bespoke is a little more niche but sigma sport does niche and scale

I went in there once when visiting London. A bigger bunch of more unhelpful ****s you could not wish to meet.

What’s that other outfit where you have to make an appointment just to go into the shop?

SidewaysTim

Looks just like our place that.

We open by appointment only on Wednesdays. That’s because it’s my day off, but if someone needs help or wants to spunk a load of cash I will try accommodate 🙂

atlaz
    Free Member

I went in there once when visiting London. A bigger bunch of more unhelpful ****s you could not wish to meet.

Used to live locally to Sigma and they were fine with me. Maybe you had that look of a regional type who didn’t belong 😉

That said, I don’t get the feeling they like people browsing the shop that much

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

I had to search for that FT article after registering and the phrase “Cycling Craze” gets 17 hits. Do they think we’re mad?

eyerideit
    Free Member

martinhutch – Member
    Very nice virtual tour. Really brings out the quality in the wood floor.

Was a bit worried about the ‘Shoeing Area’, though. Was half expecting a couple of bevvied up West Ham fans sitting there waiting for you.

Thats the funniest comment on the thread, well done.

But given he’s an ex banker, it’ll probably a few of his city mates coked up ready for a bit of Patrick Bateman style action.

howarthp

There’s also Cyclefit who are a great bunch of guys and Poshbikes who do some really light (and very expensive) kit – not been to their shop though

bikebouy
    Free Member

Most shops (cycle) in Thart Larndorn welcome you in with your bike. So, lets assume you’ve ridden in and pop along to said shoppe, you ring da bell and they open and welcome you in, your bike (invariably) sit’s right by the door.. glad of the bell entry now?

Hmmm.. me thinks you is.

There are of course many other shops that cater for “top end” bikes, though I’ve yet to understand what that actually means. Most, not all, have been welcoming to me when I’ve ridden round there trying to find them and I’ve bee surprised at how accommodating and welcoming that have all been. Even the fixie boys “n” girls shops don’t snigger when entering the shop in lycra..

These shops are well worth a visit, you get a different perspective at the very least and unsurprisingly they are devoid of clutter.

Bonus.

And you don’t have to squeeze through endless rows of unsold sub £1k commuter bikes..

Bonus.

Talking of which…..

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Is the poshest bike shop ever?’ is closed to new replies.