Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Is the phrase "hoping to hell" bad language?
  • glupton1976
    Free Member

Yes it’s a ludicrous question, but I got pulled up for using it in an informal email today.

RustySpanner

No.

Change it to ‘hope to heaven’ and send it back.

wwaswas

hell no.

binners

no it ****ing isn’t

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Fo sho, fam, innit.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Depends on context. Amongst your mates, fine. Work.Poor form really.

unklehomered
    Free Member

no it isn’t and anyone who says otherwise should be told to **** the **** shitting **** off.

bigG
    Free Member

it’s forking bad language. sort it out potty mouth

TuckerUK
    Free Member

It’s a common expression for occidental atheists. You’re not being discriminated against because of your race or religious beliefs by any chance?

piemonster

This forum is going to hell in a handcart

glupton1976
    Free Member

It was in a private email/bloggy set up by the uni to allow students to ask questions of each other and share ideas.

I merely posted that I was “hoping to hell that I didnt have any critical incidents”, which was in response to being asked to write a reflective essay on a critical incident within the last 4 week period.

brakes
    Free Member

who did you get pulled up by? could it be seen as blasphemous?

Rorschach
    Free Member

When in doubt about the appropriateness of a word simply substitute for batshit……
    ie batshithoping

jon1973
    Free Member

All I said to my wife was that piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah.

brooess
    Free Member

All I said to my wife was that piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah.

Are there any women here?

binners

Who threw that?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Rorschach – Member
    When in doubt about the appropriateness of a word simply substitute for batshit……
    ie batshithoping

That’s a batshitbrilliant idea!

brakes
    Free Member

what if you think batshit is an appropriate word? how would the rule work then?

brooess
    Free Member

She did! She did! He did! He! He. He. Him. Him. Him. Him. He did.

mechmonkey
    Free Member

Christ on a bike, poeple are batshitting sensitive these days

headfirst
    Free Member

Right! Let me make this absolutely clear!!! No-one is to stone ANYONE, even if they do say……

Sorry, getting ahead of myself, let’s try:

You’re only making it worse for yourself!

glupton1976
    Free Member

It was a university lecturer charged with moderating a student bloggy email thing that only 7 or 8 people in the world can see.

I have made my feelings known about overzealous modding – it’s almost as if I’ve had a whole load of practice. 😉

brooess
    Free Member

Jehovah!

Northwind

Being hopeful was bad form in my last workplace, so I’m definitely throwing stones. Gravel.

sunnrider
    Free Member

Over zealous censorship, don´t bother complaining.

Common sense works just fine for 99% of people, it´s the other 1% that gave rise to the necessity of Mods and other sub-species. It´s a necessary evil that´s been around since irc days and isn´t leaving anytime soon.

Del

you’re basically appealing to satan that something doesn’t happen. if you’re batshitcray enough to believe all that guff, it’ll get your shirt right up. speaking as someone who’s worked in the US, where a surprising number are batshit crazy enough to believe all that stuff.
    😀

steve234
    Free Member

sub-species

Shouldn’t be hyphenated. Just saying. And trolling.
    😉

konabunny
    Free Member

It depends on the cultural and social context.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

brooess – Member
    Jehovah!

he said it again!!!

TooTall
    Free Member

I have made my feelings known about overzealous modding

Get over yourself. It isn’t exactly restricting your liberty. Offensive is not how you see it, it is how other people see it.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Is the phrase "hoping to hell" bad language?’ is closed to new replies.