Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Is the official age for Facebook still supposed to be 13?
  • MoreCashThanDash

I’m trying to decide whether to be “that” parent over some homework our 10 year old got, about a 10 year old girl in America inusing Facebook to get help from the local Police with her maths homework.

Apparently the learning outcome is to spot the error in the Police reply. Nothing to do with internet safety or wasting Police time.

Cougar

LMGTFY.

https://www.facebook.com/help/157793540954833

Can’t help with the moral dilemma I’m afraid. Seems a bit off for the school to have suggested it; presumably your sprog has to discuss the article rather than actually sign up for an account? The school could’ve changed the names and made the 10yo thirteen in the exercise, I’d have thought.

ratherbeintobago

Aren’t they meant to teach internet safety? In which case get her to do the homework as intended but follow it up with a word with teacher.

MoreCashThanDash

Just seemed a strange example to use with a class of 10 year olds. From a school that recently got an “inadequate” for safeguarding in its Ofsted report.

Lack of thinking it through I suspect.

ratherbeintobago

From a school that recently got an “inadequate” for safeguarding in its Ofsted report.

In which case it really wants flagging?

MoreCashThanDash

Wasn’t sure if I was being a bit too precious if I pointed out the possible inconsistency, hence querying it here. I have history with the school with silly things like this that I don’t think should have to be spotted by a parent

Strangely I didn’t succeed when I tried to become a governor!

greentricky
    Free Member

Not according to half the kids in my daughters year 6 class, same with instagram and snapchat

flaps
    Free Member

Could the ‘error in the police reply’ not be the fact that they failed to mention she was under age? You could always focus upon that in your response and that would highlight the issue in an indirect way?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Is the official age for Facebook still supposed to be 13?’ is closed to new replies.