Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Is The Now Show rubbish?
  • gobuchul
    Free Member

Listened to last nights episode and barely raised a smile.

Is it just me being a misery or is it now rubbish?

johnners
    Free Member

Amid fierce competition it’s always been the very worst of the R4 6:30 shows.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

I tend to listen to that and news quiz as podcasts. I find them both funny, but as with most things, won’t always hit the note throughout, nor does every section appeal to everyone’s humour. Give it another go or download a few older ones.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    gobuchul
    Free Member

it’s always been the very worst of the R4 6:30 shows

Give it another go or download a few older ones.

I used to really like it. I found it laugh out loud funny at times but now it’s just meh.

RustySpanner

It became a bit smug for me.

Jamie
    Free Member

We discussed this last month, and the consensus was you’re not a misery.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

It’s always been my least favorite of the r4 shows in that time slot. Nothing to do with content mind, simply the fact it reminds me i didn’t cycle to work today and that I’m not already home by 6.30 on a Friday. I particularly hate when i catch the end of it as i leave the office.

Shackleton

If I remember rightly the Now Show format changed a year or two back to better represent geneder and ethnic diversity and be more “balanced” in terms of perceived political leanings. Hence Mitch Benn, Jon Holmes, John Finnemore, Marcus Brigestock et al being shown the door.

The idea being put forward (I think on PM) was that the now show should be a vehicle for emerging acts and increasing diversity and this has been done almost to the exclusion of everything else. All admirable intentions but falls flat on its face if no one wants to listen to it. It has really stopped being satire as a result. The News Quiz has done the same but it either hasn’t had the same impact or hasn’t been followed as closely.

Luckily iPlayer still has Hut 33, Old Harry’s Game, Cabin Pressure, Infinite Monkey Cage, etc. on fairly regular repeats. Ed Reardon’s Week is usually good. Hopefully some new episodes of The BrigSociety and Simon Evans Goes To Market are in the works too.

nickc

always been the very worst of the R4 6:30 shows.

I think you’ll find that’s Just a Minute

poolman
    Free Member

Yes it was poor. Lucy Porter was way off the pace, i saw her record the rhlstp and she was really funny, maybe just a poor subject, french elections, it just wasnt funny.

Still who am i to judge, i find my own jokes funny…

gobuchul
    Free Member

Lucy Porter was way off the pace

I agree. I think that was the low point of a very poor show.

DrJ

I think you’ll find that’s Just a Minute

It was, but that Sweden thing has grabbed the prize in recent weeks.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

The Cold Swedish Winter? Certainly the first few were good, and relateable for Brit living in a foreign land.

kennyp
    Free Member

Have to disagree. The Cold Swedish Winter is one of the best Radio 4 comedies I’ve heard in ages. Just a pity there are only eight episodes.

thenorthwind

Haven’t heard the Cold Swedish Winter thing, but that Museum of Curiosities thing that was on a while back was just… curious. Not sure if it was supposed to be funny, but they had loads of usually funny people on and it was in the comedy slot.

The Now Show is hit and miss, admittedly, but I’m still sad when I miss it. I thought yesterday’s was ok, maybe I’m easily amused.

Stainypants

I used to like it with Brigstock and John Holmes, never liked Mitch Ben (comedy songs are naff). Tried to listen to it recently a car journey upto Scotland and it was dire, let the wife put her Pitbull and other assorted garbage on instead

prettygreenparrot

always been the very worst of the R4 6:30 shows.

I always find it worth a listen.

Most anything on a Tuesday at 18:30 is dire. The Now Show varies in its funniness.

I think the worst R4 18:30 ‘comedy’ show in recent times has been ‘Mark Watson talks a bit about life’. Sub-podcast drivel.

DrJ

The Cold Swedish Winter? Certainly the first few were good, and relateable for Brit living in a foreign land.

That’s the one. Comedy is of course 99% subjective, but having spent plenty of my own cold Scandi winters I just found it boring 🙂

winston
    Free Member

Lucy Porter is awful and still at her worst is still 10x better than Susan Calman at her best and Calman is still better than that NZ woman they have on sometimes

Which all goes to say that the Now show is dire these days

Can someone point me in the direction of some decent new comedians? Maybe its getting older but I feel that the 90’s/early 00’s were a golden age for comedy – League of gentleman, Izzard and tons more
    These days its all seems to be so right on its dull as ditch water

Nipper99
    Free Member

Only really the News Quiz and ISIHAC worth listening to at the moment and the re-runs of Meet David Sedaris.

Disappear over to 4 extra for re-runs.

Jamie
    Free Member

To think. This used to be the home of Simon Munnery etc.

kelvin

Yes, the Now Show is now painfully unfunny due to the no show of the writers/performers who were painfully funny.

bol

It was grim last night. Lucy Porter wasn’t as good as usual and the song at the end made me feel embarrassed – like something a 15 year old would write for a school show. Andy Zaltsman always makes me chuckle when he’s on.

finbar
    Free Member

V poor episode, and I’m usually the first to stick up for it. The News Quiz is much more amusing now Toksvig has left.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Is The Now Show rubbish?’ is closed to new replies.