Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Is the Genesis Altitude 20 £450 better than the Alt 10 ???
  • Ifrider
    Free Member

Just about to buy a Genesis Alt 20 for £1450, is it really worth the £450 over the Alt 10 ? I know it's 853 and I'm a massive fan of it but will it ride half a grand better if you know what I mean ?? Was thinking of a Day 1 Cross with the cash saved to use as a "work bike" ???

Edric64
    Free Member

I to am a fan of 853 520 is I think Reynolds tubing made under license in the far east I think it is the same as cheapy 4130 standard stuff .I would go with 853 as the basic rule is buy the best frame you can as it's better to upgrade that than a cheap one

mboy
    Free Member

Right, look at what's different then account for the extra cost there…

Frame, 853 Vs 520, possibly worth £100-150 extra.
    Forks, Reba SL's with Maxle Vs Recon 351's, possibly worth another £100-150 again.
    Drivetrain, slightly better on the 20 through upgraded rear mech and chainset, worth perhaps an extra £30-50.
    Wheels, slightly better hubs and rims on the 20, worth perhaps an extra £30.
    Brakes are the same on both bikes by the looks of it.
    Bars stem and post, own brand stuff on both bikes anyway, but looks slightly lighter and higher quality on the 20, so worth an extra £20 maybe.
    Tyres, Kevlar bead on the 20 Vs steel on the 10, but both crappy Mountain Kings, worth an extra £20 if you're feeling generous.

I make the value of the differences a little short of the £450 asking price difference if I'm being honest, though whether I'm undervaluing the 853 frame and the Maxle fork I don't know. I've not ridden a 520 version of the Altitude, but I highly rate the 853 version as I've had one for some time now. I suspect that in all fairness, the 520 version will ride very similarly, just with an extra 1/2 to 3/4 of a lb extra weight in the frame.

If you're bothered about overall value, I'd buy the 10 as for £1k you're going to have a blast on it. You'll certainly not get £450 more fun out of the 20 I don't think. BUT… If it's a bike you plan to upgrade over time, then the 20 would be the better bet, as with the 853 frame and the better fork, it's more worthy of a componentry upgrade in the future.

Have fun whatever you do!

Mister-P
    Free Member

The brakes are also upgraded from 486 to Deore 595. The Deore are way better IMHO.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Altitude 20 availble here for £1200

http://www.biketrax.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b99s2p1833&rs=gb

Rusty

mboy
    Free Member

The brakes are also upgraded from 486 to Deore 595. The Deore are way better IMHO.

Genesis website actually says BR-M575 for BOTH the 10 and the 20 this year. So neither bike has 486's, or the better 595's.

Altitude 20 availble here for £1200

Starts to make more sense at that price…

Mister-P
    Free Member

I was mistaken on the 10, they are indeed 575. However the website is incorrect for the 20, they are Deore 595. I know as I bought an Altitude 20 to strip for parts for my GFs bike.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Is the Genesis Altitude 20 £450 better than the Alt 10 ???’ is closed to new replies.