Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Is The Garmin Cadence sensor safe? looks dodgy to me!
  • jacob46
    Free Member

I’ve got lovely new mavic wheels on my tarmac and if I somehow clip that sensor towards the wheel I t will defo get smashed up and probably bend a few spokes?

Can it hung upside down?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Got a mate or two that have them underneath without issue. I have had mine on top of the stay for 20000+ miles without it touching the spokes.

petrieboy

You can mount them upside down if you like. Fit them properly and they won’t go anywhere tho.

njee20
    Free Member

Even if it does go into the spokes it won’t break them, it’s only plastic.

jacob46
    Free Member

Thanks for that all! First time using one only got it today. Was looking how close my foot was too the sensor but realised you don’t really move your foot about that much when using clipless set up. I do think mounting upside down is safer because if you push it towards the spokes then the spokes will push it away instead of jamming everything up if it was fitted on top.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Do you have the arm sticking up or down? It should be down against the chain stay. I broke one before I realised this! If it doesn’t fit then get something like the bontrager one.

bikebouy
    Free Member

The little arm should face down, when the wheel rotates it’ll then hit the little are down out of the way, if it’s mounted the other way if the wheel catches it it’ll bend it down into the spokes.. Make sense that??

jacob46
    Free Member

Google it and click on images!

Images will tell you most mount it on top and hope and prey! Taking mine off in the morning and putting it on eBay. I love my £525 wheels more than a £28 pointless power gadget.

njee20
    Free Member

Mount it the other way up then FFS. Best not use your £525 wheels outside lest you find a pothole 🙄

imnotverygood

Right… So you ask a question about whether anyone has wrecked a wheel on the sensor. Nobody has said they have, but you are going to sell the sensor anyway..,.

Why ask the question?

warton
    Free Member

if your pedalling technique is so bad that you’re clipping your cadence sensor I’d sell the bike, not the sensor.

I have them on three bikes, never even thought about it.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

ITS NOT A CADENCE SENSOR

imnotverygood

It is a speed/cadence sensor, if it is the one I’m thinking of. One part registers the magnet on the crank & the other the magnet on the spoke. It may well be the speed bit he is worrying about, but you can’t use the speed sensor without attaching the cadence part.

bails

Dirtyrider: it’s speed AND cadence.

gwaelod
    Free Member

YeAh the new sensors are accelerometers not magnet and look less dodgy. I have the speed one and its really neat

The new cadence one just straps to the crank..more expensive than the gsc10 combo..but looks less fragile.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/05/garmins-spd-cad-magnetless-sensors.html

trail_rat
    Free Member

some folk really do overeestimate the strength of ABS plastic.

bigG
    Free Member

£525 wheels? That’ll be your winter training wheels then, surely the spokes are strong enough to snap through a thin bit of plastic.

If it was a set of Zipp 404s and you were über paranoid id understand you wanting to mount it upside down.

legend
    Free Member

dirtyrider – Member
    ITS NOT A CADENCE SENSOR

aw bless. Weird how it gives you a cadence reading when you turn the cranks though eh?

steve_b77
    Free Member

I like the look of those new ones, thanks for the link.

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of the new ones with an Edge 1000, not fitted them yet, they do look good, chunky though, the GSC-10 is much less obtrusive.

DT78
    Free Member

Are the new sensors available separately yet? From that article it sounds like it will work with the 800. I’m not worried about the combined unit but it is pretty ugly….

deadkenny
    Free Member

Have to say I was concerned about the GSC-10. I’m not worried about breaking the sensor but more that it gets knocked by a rock and breaks a spoke.

Heard elsewhere about the magneticless sensor for the hub. It’s speed only, but was considering one for the full sus. I have the GSC-10 on the hard tail, but I’m not really bothered about cadence, especially for the kind of riding I do on the full sus (half of it could involve no pedalling). Accurate speed & distance is what I’m interested in really, not estimated by GPS, which may be less accurate on twisty trails in trees.

Would assume you can get the other sensors separate though. Any ANT+ sensor is all you need, for devices that use ANT+

dirtyrider
    Free Member

aw bless. Weird how it gives you a cadence reading when you turn the cranks though eh?

stupid alcohol 😆

njee20
    Free Member

Heard elsewhere about the magneticless sensor for the hub. It’s speed only, but was considering one for the full sus. I have the GSC-10 on the hard tail, but I’m not really bothered about cadence, especially for the kind of riding I do on the full sus (half of it could involve no pedalling). Accurate speed & distance is what I’m interested in really, not estimated by GPS, which may be less accurate on twisty trails in trees.

There are two – a speed one you mount on the hub, and a cadence one you mount on the crank. Agreed that for mountain biking cadence is entirely useless, and not that much better on the road unless you have some serious issues IMO. Dunno if they’re available separately, they are just ANT+, so they should work with an Edge 500/510/705/800/810.

legend
    Free Member

dirtyrider – Member

stupid alcohol

lolz, it takes a big man to admit…… that they were drunk 😉

mr_stru

Dunno if they’re available separately, they are just ANT+, so they should work with an Edge 500/510/705/800/810

I’d read, I think in the dcrainmaker review, that it depends on the accessory settings that your computer uses as to whether they’ll work. Certainly seemed to imply that on some units you’ll have to use both sensors at the same time, however it was a bit confusing and the garmin site doesn’t seem to be keen to say one way or another.

They do seem to be available separately though, or at least they are on the US garmin site.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Is The Garmin Cadence sensor safe? looks dodgy to me!’ is closed to new replies.