Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Is the EuroMillions Jackpot getting too big?
  • MrTall
    Free Member

Since the Lottery sneakily upped the star numbers from 9 to 11 (increasing the odds of winning by a couple of million to one) it’s noticeable that the jackpots are rolling over mose often.

On Friday, the 2nd top prize was £159,000 whilst first prize was £142million. I’m guessing that they like having massive jackpots as it fuels peoples natural greed (and i guess they get any interest of the prize while its sat there longer not being claimed?).

Tonights jackpot is an estimated £154 million. Surely that’s just getting way too big to justify to any one person (and it seems less likely with the newer odds that jackpots will be shared) and would be too big a change to cope with? Wouldn’t it be better if they just created lots more prize winners in the £100k – £10m range?

I know we’d all think we’d love to win it but there’s a part of me that thinks it’ll ruin the life of whoever does win. I’d immediately worry for the safety of myself and family and what it would do to my friends.

What’s the obviously correct answer from the STW massive…..?

the-muffin-man

I know we’d all think we’d love to win it but there’s a part of me that thinks it’ll ruin the life of whoever does win.

You only hear of the lottery winners who have gone off the rails – the ones who have been nice and sensible, have invested wisely and now live a comfortable life aren’t newsworthy.

milkman100
    Free Member

I would worry about that if i won it, better to worry about having to much than to little

he says and never even has a go

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

A couple of million is undoubtedly life changing (unless you’re already rich), but something like £154million is just mental.

Wouldn’t it be better if they just created lots more prize winners in the £100k – £10m range?

I’d reckon, yeah. But I think it would be better if people din’t pin so many hopes and dreams on a form of gambling…

_tom_
    Free Member

I won a grand total of £8 on Friday, so of course I’m putting some of that back into tonight’s draw.

Don’t see how having the proper jackpot would ruin your life unless you’re a complete idiot with it.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I reckon I’d cope!

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Some of my neighbours has won the lottery. They moved into a nice converted barn nearby and are generally ordinary people with a large bank account. Not Lotto yobs or any other of that redtop trash sensationalist rubbish.

£25 million. Just enough.

lunge

How much of that would you all give to STW to keep the hamsters running?

pete68
    Free Member

Tbh if I won that amount, the vast majority would go to charity.Keep a nice amount for myself,some to family and friends. There’s plenty of worthy causes,big and small.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Funny article in a paper at the weekend – quite a few winners are now bankrupt.

I’ve always said the prize should be a few hundred £K max – enough to help out a lot but not make you go too mental.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

If I won I’d buy you all a bike; the jackpot can never be enough, private jets to the Alps for an afternoons riding, buying private islands etc etc; It would be the bollocks, people who say money is the root of all evil haven’t got any, FACT.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

people who say money is the root of all evil

…would be mis-quoting.

FART.

donsimon
    Free Member

I know we’d all think we’d love to win it but there’s a part of me that thinks it’ll ruin the life of whoever does win. I’d immediately worry for the safety of myself and family and what it would do to my friends.

Rumour had it that an ex-student of mine’s father won €85m, the student simply disappeared from work, a huge part of your (previous)life just gone. Maybe we were his flotson and jetson and now he is free of us and his life has improved, I like to think not.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

What’s the correct quote then Elfin?

Either way, I’d have cedar wardrodes full of Turnbull and Asser shirts, a last of my feet at John Lobb for my shoes, a chef, a Maybach, Sacha White on speed dial for new frames, the list goes on.

I’ve got a solid family, no psychological baggage, I’ve self actualised, so I could just enjoy that money.

I came to this world with nothing and I’ll leave with nothing but love, everything is is just borrowed.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

1 Timothy 6:10

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Amazing thing is that when the jackpot gets that high ticket sales rocket. Almost as if the normal 10mil is not worth bothering with.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’ve self actualised

Disgusting. 😐

_tom_
    Free Member

I’d first make sure my parents had any/all debts paid off and buy them somewhere nice to live in the south of France like they’ve always wanted.. then buy a house in Canada for me and my mates to live in. It’d be awesome 😀

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Elfin, it’s not difficult, once you realise that life will throw s**t at you how ever hard you try and there are always people worse than yourself its becomes alot easier.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Then I too have Self-Actualised! 😀

Well maybe not but I felt like a little dance anyway.

footflaps

I’d quite happily cope with £154m. Set up a few endowments for good causes, pay off friends and family’s mortgages etc etc

Would still carry on working – as I quite enjoy it.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Jesus Elfin you’ve agreed on something in less than 3 posts, you have definately have actualised!

M6TTF
    Free Member

Didn’t realise they’d changed the game. Apparently you have more chance of being hit by lightening. I do think the jackpot should be capped, and the prize fund should filter down more equally, but it’s the mega sums of money that keeps people playing – on Friday there was 2 million players every hour!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Jackpot is capped at.185mill or so and the extra above that if still rolling over goes into lower prize points !

crazy-legs

Yes, I think the main prize has got too big and should be filtered down/spilt more evenly.
    Unless I win it in which case it’s fine thank you very much.

😉

ton

far too big a jackpot.
    154 draws for 1 million would be better.
    200k would set me up for life……….. 😀

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Any of you who think that £154 mill is to much I’ll take some off your hands. E-mail in profile 8)

peterfile
    Free Member

the lottery is a tax on people who are unable to comprehend simple maths.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

peterfile – Member
    the lottery is a tax on people who are unable to comprehend simple maths. bit of fun which might change a small number of people’s lives but raises enough money to change a lot of lives

FTFY

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I agree with Flashy. I live in a ‘deprived’ area and there are lots of things that have bin funded using Lottery money, which do help make a difference to many people’s lives, mine included (local leisure centre was built using Lottery money).

So I’m quite glad so many people are crap at maths….

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member
    I agree with Flashy.

Quoted for posterity! 🙂

mefty
    Free Member

It is though effectively a regressive tax.

alpin
    Free Member

i often day-dream about how i’d spend my winnings, but it’s irrelevant as i never buy a ticket….. 😕

Drac

Well it’s got bigger, estimated £166 million.

votchy
    Free Member

You’ll still be my friend aquaintance when I win it and you can advise me how to invest it wisely so that I do not become newsworthy 😀

peterfile
    Free Member

It is though effectively a regressive tax.

Bingo! (excuse the pun)

I like the fact that people on benefits spend £25 a week on tickets, it’s a stealth tax.

Income tax collected —> paid to people on benefits —-> benefits spend on lottery tickets and fags —-> lottery proceeds used for the benefit of the wider community

soooo, basically someone thought…

“we’re going to have to raise income tax, there’s no way we can afford to pay all these people on benefits AND build that new day care centre in East London!”

“If only there was a way of getting poor people to contribute… but that’s absurd, they clearly can’t contribute because they have no money, otherwise they wouldn’t be on benefits!”

“Eureka!! Studies have shown that poor people in other countries like lottery and fags. Let’s start a national lottery which pumps money back into the community and put an insanely high duty on fags!”

Job done.

(before the skinny latte warriors of STW try to explain that I’m everything wrong with society, this is meant as a little joke. 😆 )

FuzzyWuzzy

I reckon I could blow £100m in a couple of years so having another £50m+ to fall back on would be a useful safety net.

xcstu
    Free Member

Think I could live with it… why worry… the bigger the better as I’m going to win it 🙂

IA

If you won, say, 150m, how much would you lose to tax?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Is the EuroMillions Jackpot getting too big?’ is closed to new replies.