Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Is the difference worth it (road content)?
  • thehustler
    Free Member

you know ebay can be your friend in this, I just picked up a 2yr old quintanaroo that is immaculate for £740, having sols my boardman hybrid for £375 it was a significant and well worthwhile upgrade

cynic-al
    Free Member

NOt sure what the size issue is…crotch pain?

pics of your current bike set up?

You can slice this any way you like. Your 1.5 isn’t a POS, you could keep riding and save, buy £300 wheels and save a little less, upgrade a bit with the CAAD…

the frame makes the biggest difference IMO (all other things equal), I’d go with how much you are happy spending as your decider.

Kryton57

It is crotch pain yes – I’ve tried everything I can move bar changing the stem. Heres the best I can do right now with an iphone:

trek by kryton1957, on Flickr

cynic-al
    Free Member

Dunno what you mean by crotch pain. Set up looks good TBH but don’t be afraid to try shorter stem saddle slammed forward etc. You are getting into it from mtb? Done any group rides? Joined a club etc?

Kryton57

No pain on the MTB. My crotch pain is a dull / pain “ache” (i don’t get sore or boils) after about 30-40 miles. At 50 miles I’m shuffling around as its uncomfortable – note this is also my 2nd saddle. It has got better with this saddle / over time (9 months at least once but mostly twice a week).

Its been solo rides only to date, I’m hoping to join a club ride on Sunday. A mixture of balls out 20 miles, Z2 40 miles, “normal” 40 miles and a couple of 62 milers.

That saddle is slightly forward on the in-line post, it was all the way forward on the OEM bontrager 20mm layback.

You reckon it looks OK height wise – thats exactly (as you can with a tape measure) 109% from pedal to top of saddle directly up the seatube.

crftom
    Free Member

If your going to spend 2k + on a road bike don’t buy a trek!!

iainc

saddle height i.e. amount of visible seatpost looks in good proportion assuming it’s set at right height for you and plumb-bobbed etc. I’d be going looking at comfy/cutout saddles like the Spesh BG ones (dunno if you are allowed a Specialized saddle on a Trek mind 😆 )

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Very helpful comment there Crftom.

I know it’s not seen as cool on a road bike but you could try reversing the stem to give yourself positive rise and a higher front end , it may help your pain and it costs nothing to do .

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Any reason?

cynic-al
    Free Member

snobbery.

OP try other saddles as above. frame size looks perfect.

crftom
    Free Member

Any reason?

Purely because there’s so many other better bikes out there to spend your money, people just get sucked into the big boring brands trek / giant / Specialized etc

mudshark
    Free Member

Madones are great! I have a 2012 5.9 frame. Actually one thing annoys me, would prefer a normal seat post over the seat mast as would be easier to get a bike box for it.

crftom – you just prefer the idea of a niche brand.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Nice bike! In all honesty I wouldnt bother with CAAD8, that looks decent.

I think theres a certain amount of saddle set back that will make your legs feel “just right” i.e. they’ll feel the most powerful in this position.

After that, I guess get a stem to suit. But, bars with less reach are often a better idea so you dont have to run a shorter stem. And Shimano hoods have more reach to them than SRAM ones.

Kryton57

Lol David, you should be one of those life experts with a starting sentence like that.

So this has got “pop down to LBS and get some advice” written all over it.

I’m glad I posted the pic now (I wasn’t going to), as it seems to have saved me several £00’s.

Thanks all for your input.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Purely because there’s so many other better bikes out there to spend your money, people just get sucked into the big boring brands trek / giant / Specialized etc

Ahhhh, you mean niche’r not better

Another boring trek, nothing new to see here

wwaswas

I think crftom may have an ulterior motive for steering people to non-mainstream brands looking at the link in his profile.

Kryton57

wwaswas – Member
    I think crftom may have an ulterior motive for steering people to non-mainstream brands looking at the link in his profile.

And the fact he created one to perhaps only comment on this tread? I thought Trade people were supposed to make themsleves apparant…..

Kryton57

Just asking like…

Whats better this

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/FBPXPRORIV12/planet_x_pro_carbon_rival_road_bike_2012 (or maybe the gran fondo version) with warranties

OR

A 2nd hand Madone 3.1 105 for £800?

RustySpanner

Mrs S has a Trek 1.5.
    It’s ace.

The wheels aren’t the best, but it’s a great bike for the money.
    I’d be tempted to buy a pair of Ultegra wheels from Merlin and spend the rest on going somewhere to ride what you’ve got.

Daughter has one of the PX carbon frames and it’s lovely, but then she races.

Kryton57

It came with Fulcrum Racing 5’s – Ultegra’s would be a worthy upgrade?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Money still burning a hole in your pocket?

Usually the worst place from which to buy a bike IME.

I also doubt you’ll notice much of an upgrade when spending the same amount as the RRP of your current bike. Though I’ve said that several times so you’re clearly not interested!

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Is the difference worth it (road content)?’ is closed to new replies.