Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Is the corner of this stud wall holding up my stairs?
  • austin
    Free Member

I’m knocking down a cupboard in the sitting room. Before I get crowbar happy, is there any chance these three 4x2s are holding up the stairs? I hope this is a stupid question!
    IMAG0368 by simon.kemp, on Flickr

IMAG0367 by simon.kemp, on Flickr

IMAG0366 by simon.kemp, on Flickr

andyl
    Free Member

I would have thought that was just for the boxing.

But I don’t want any responsibility for your stairs falling down.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Absolutely not 😉

Please post video of you knocking it down!

TBH, they shouldn’t be holding the stairs up, but I’m no expert.

Having renovated an old house, anything can be wrong! Give it a wiggle and see if anything moves.

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

No.

CaptJon
    Free Member

hit it with a hammer and see if you can judge the load it is bearing.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Well, from those pics, at least one of the three bits isn’t holding them up. I’d think the floor joist upstairs was taking most of the load though. They do go to a joist don’t they?

willyboy
    Free Member

No, its unlikely that they are supporting the stairs. The ceiling joist and wall normally holds up your stairs (if next to a wall).

They are normally fitted like this although this picture shows short newel posts

austin
    Free Member

Thanks all – I should have said that I will in no way hold the stw hive mind responsible if my stairs fall down. I’ve had a closer look and I’m pretty sure it’s ok. I’m going in …

jimr80
    Free Member

the stairs should and probably will be cut over the stairs trimmer which is the joisted opening formed at the joisting stage of a house build. hope that helps.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

No. They’ve just built a cupboard under the stairs to hide the stair soffit as it cuts across your sitting room. Well at least the studwork shouldn’t be holding up the stairs. Of course I wasn’t there when the place was being built, so I can’t guarantee that some muppet didn’t use the studwork to prop up the stairs because they hadn’t cut the string correctly and it’s not hooked onto the joist. But if they’ve done the job properly then that studwork shouldn’t be holding up the stairs. IMO.

muddyman
    Free Member

[Is the corner of this stud wall holding up my stairs?]
    only one way to find out !!!!

austin
    Free Member

Well, the studwork has been removed and the stairs are still there. Thanks again for your help.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Is the corner of this stud wall holding up my stairs?’ is closed to new replies.