Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Is the confederate flag inherently racist?
  • v8ninety

I only ask your opinions because an old girl in a bungalow behind our house flies it from a pole in her garden, and whilst it’s always struck me as a wee bit odd, I never thought any more about it until one of our friends commented on how ‘offensive’ the flag was. Now, maybe it was a childhood of watching Dukes of Hazzard, but it holds no sinister connotations for me. I understand that the slavery issue is where the suggestions of racism come from, but I also suspect that it would be simplistic to reduce a complex and huge world event as the American Civil War to a single issue.

Thoughts?

midlifecrashes

Neil Young seemed to think so, wrote some songs about it. Lynard Skynard wrote this in reply.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwWUOmk7wO0[/video]

yossarian
    Free Member

Ask her why she flies it perhaps?

wwaswas

It is a symbol of a struggle to retain a racist state.

Much like the South African flag under Apartheid – I can’t see flying that as being seen as anything but a provocative act.

Having said that a lot of people seem to just see it as a cosy symbol of country music and good old boys making hooch in the woods, so who am I to say.

kevin1911

I’ve always viewed it as a status of being proud of being from the southern states, perhaps more proud of being southern than of being American.

In fact, it could maybe be argued that the assumption that it indicates the person flying it is in itself quite racist. Maybe.

Garry_Lager

It’s inherently racist in the US IMO – if a large majority of African Americans find it racially offensive, which they do and for good reason, then it’s clearly a racist symbol.
    If it’s over here you’re talking about then I really have no idea. hard to see anyone having any sort of visceral reaction to the confederate flag so it’s a symbol bereft of meaning on that level. Quite a few people will know of it’s history in the US but translating that over here seems like racial Munchausen’s syndrome by proxy.

You could always ask her what her reasons are for flying the flag – it’s possible she’s not an arsehole (would be rare IME of people who feel compelled to fly a flag on their residence)

kevin1911

It is a symbol of a struggle to retain a racist state.

The whole state was racist? Nah, I think it was a few politicians that bent to pressure from some vocal racists that tarnished the flag. It doesn’t mean that every one from that state subscribed to their ideas, and nor should it mean people who previously had been proud to fly their flag should no longer be allowed to without being stereotyped asap redneck racist.

Drive by truckers did a double album on the subject. Southern rock opera.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

…slavery issue…

What, that slavery started by races that had never seen or heard of a ‘white man’? 😉

wwaswas

“nor should it mean people who previously had been proud to fly their flag should no longer be allowed to without being stereotyped asap redneck racist”

I’ll think you’ll find it might.

It’s like saying the Swastika was devalued by a few nutters in authority so it’s ok to fly that outside your house.

kevin1911

Hmmm, good point.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I believe in letting people express their opinions. I don’t believe in silencing people who disagree with a gay lifestyle, or who believe a woman should work at home, etc etc. It’s their opinion. What’s a free speech society meant to mean if people take offence so easily and rally to form what we refer to as a set of PC rules?

fourbanger
    Free Member

It’s like saying the Swastika was devalued by a few nutters in authority so it’s ok to fly that outside your house.

But only if you’re over sensitive.

kevin1911

If the stars n stripes is offensive to many Muslims does that mean anyone flying it is racist?

atlaz
    Free Member

Over the 16 or so years I’ve been visiting family in the US I’ve met a few people who have it on their trucks, jackets, hats, whatever. For a lot of them it’s this faux rebel thing and they don’t really think about the racist connotations. Some, however, are racists and some are just not really thinking. It’s a bit of a strange thing that some people refer to it as a rebel flag like the south was oppressed and rose up rather than one side of a war. As such it holds a romanticism to some people that really doesn’t exist except in their heads.

I’d ask the lady. You might find out she’s got some odd, but harmless ideas. Or you might find out that she’s a bigot (as I found with a flatmate from Arizona once but that’s a different story).

wwaswas

no, because being offended isn’t being a victim of racism?

there are no doubt inequalities in the US but it’s mostly no longer institutionally racist. The stars and stripes is a symbol of equality within the country, not inequality.

the confederate flag was a symbol of retaining a society in which it was legal for one human to own another.

When a black woman in one of the southern states had a baby and didn’t want it to live as a slave she killed it. The people in the North wanted her done for murder, she was actually tried for ‘theft from her employer’ in the south as the baby “wasn’t hers”.

The confedrate flag is the symbol of the mindset that said a baby was property, not a life.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

No I do not think that the flag is inherently racist in the same way that the flags of the UK, Belgium, Portugal, Spain, France etc are not inherently racist despite being associated with racist acts in the past.

The pride in being a Southerner remains, for sure, but I think attitudes have moved on a lot fortunately.

v8ninety

If the stars n stripes is offensive to many Muslims does that mean anyone flying it is racist?

Ooh, I like that angle… It could certainly be heading that way.

I’m certainly not asking her. She’s already revealed herself to be a bit of a plonker from an entirely unrelated interaction…

wwaswas

It was the EDL poster in her front window, wasn’t it ?

kevin1911

mostly no longer institutionally racist.

Except the police and judicial systems? And the education system?

wwaswas

They did elect a president who was born in another country though 😉

v8ninety

wwaswas – Member
    They did elect a president who was born in another country though

who’s probably a closet muslimist, just like that Brodie chap of off homeland… 😯

loum
    Free Member

thm +1

kevin1911

Lol, and very nearly impeached him for it. And they have systematically disenfranchised whole swathes of black voters for dubious reasons ahead of elections for at least the last 15 years.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I think it is a flag that was used by racist organisations in the past of the Us of A. It was stolen/used by the KKK and personally associate it with red necks who may or may not be racist
    Its meaning, like any symbol, has changed over time. I think it is representative of a slavery loving racist south [ which has other attributes and that is a simplification]so I would tend towards it being racist – in that i would think about it but not know for sure- a similar attitude was when seeing the England flag flying, which is a shame. It is good to see attempts, via sports,being made to reclaim it from the racists. I worked n a racially divided area and the England flag and the Star and crescent [Islam symbol] tended to indicate the most extreme views in either community.
    For me , without knowing the person I would wonder but not know.
    More importantly why would anyone in the UK fly it?

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Not remotely relevant to the debate, but an interesting fact from Wikipedia: the “first legally recognised slave in Colonial America” was owned by a “free black colonist”.

pudd
    Free Member

I spent a long time in the deep south (New Orleans) and was told that those who sport the “rebel” flag are considered good old boys, they’re part of a mind set; look out for each other and yes support racism but not necessarily the KKK. they don’t consider them selves racist but are not open to equal rights, inter race marriages etc.
    Infact given my mixed race appearance i was amazed to be accepted so readily when working with them (they thought i was Creole!!!).

grum
    Free Member

No I do not think that the flag is inherently racist in the same way that the flags of the UK, Belgium, Portugal, Spain, France etc are not inherently racist despite being associated with racist acts in the past.

The pride in being a Southerner remains, for sure, but I think attitudes have moved on a lot fortunately.

How do you feel about the use of a Swastika, just out of interest? I mean, it’s just a 3000 year old symbol, right?

I believe in letting people express their opinions. I don’t believe in silencing people who disagree with a gay lifestyle, or who believe a woman should work at home, etc etc. It’s their opinion. What’s a free speech society meant to mean if people take offence so easily and rally to form what we refer to as a set of PC rules?

No-one has ever suggested she shouldn’t be allowed to fly the flag, so I guess your ‘PC gone mad’ alarm went off by mistake.

CountZero

V8ninety, I think you’ll find that Hawaii is an American state, not another country. Or are you a Truther, who actually believes Obama was born in Kenya?

Sadly true; the Swastika is a holy symbol still, to a great many faiths around the world, like Buddhist, Hindu, Shinto, it is an ancient creation symbol to First Nations people in America, and was an early Christian cross as well. It’s a real shame that a symbol of peace and faith, that’s thousands of years old, should become effectively unusable because one racist political organisation hijacked it because of its ‘Aryan’ association sixty years ago.
    The Aryan thing is ironic, as Aryans are from the Indian sub-continent.
    FWIW, because of its use by many different faiths all over the world, and my own personal beliefs, which are a sort of Buddhist/Pantheistic mixture, I wear a small gold swastika, and have done for over thirty years, but, for very obvious reasons, nobody ever sees it. The possibilities of a serious miss-understanding are clearly very very likely! 😆

TuckerUK
    Free Member

I just had a thought (and not often THAT happens)…

Surely nothing is

inherently racist

there has to be intent.

elzorillo
    Free Member

You can see inherent racism in many objects if you’re of that mindset and try really really hard 🙄

druidh
    Free Member

But not all swastikas are black, on a white circle/red background. 🙂 If you were adopting that then some folk might raise more than an eyebrow.

igrf
    Free Member

midlifecrashes – Member
    Neil Young seemed to think so, wrote some songs about it. Lynard Skynard wrote this in reply.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwWUOmk7wO0

Went to a Lynard Skynard concert in the Albert Hall once with the bread knife, there emblazoned across the backdrop was the Southern Cross, so we’re enjoying the concert when she observes the distinct lack of a single black face in the entire hall, so I guess some folks might think so, or they just don’t like Lynard Skynard.

Obviously there can be nothing racist about an inanimate object like a flag, but the intent is clearly there in my view.

grum
    Free Member

Is this logo inherently racist btw?

Or this polo shirt?

duckman

Since the freedom of slaves was only eventually done as a way of having a potential army of 3-4 million behind your enemies lines,I guess that DOES make the stars and stripes just as racist.Having lived in Georgia the Southern Cross still has racist overtones, despite the fact it was originally the flag of the states who wanted to cede from the union,not all of whom permitted slavery. IMO;any quaint johnny reb angle is outweighed by the fact it is a rallying symbol for white supremists.
    Interestingly (for a history geek)the North didn’t give a crap about slaves rights,they only wanted a level playing field when it came to labour costs, Lincoln also favoured repatriation of the ex-slaves after the civil war. To me that blurs the line a little as to who were the good guys and the bad in antebellum America.

v8ninety

V8ninety, I think you’ll find that Hawaii is an American state, not another country. Or are you a Truther, who actually believes Obama was born in Kenya?

Oi! Turn up your irony alert device a bit, man!

jacksonwwirl
    Free Member

look at it from a different perspective, is the butchers apron inherently racist

patriotpro
    Free Member

Maybe the old dear was in ‘The dukes of Hazzard’ and would like the world to know about it. 💡

jonahtonto
    Free Member

i find the union jack quiet offensive, for it has components of the english and scottish flags but over looked the welsh flag.

fortunately i dont think anyone should be bothered about what i find offensive

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Inherently, it says “I’m a redneck short of a few chromosomes. Do not try and reproduce with me.”

rudebwoy
    Free Member

there is a fruit-loop who flies random flags on a daily basis, sometimes countries,some naval, some just bizarre — maybe he hankers after a routine ….

on the road between abergele and llandulas, mock fort type place..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Is the confederate flag inherently racist?’ is closed to new replies.