Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Is the classifieds section there to make money?
  • pop-larkin
    Free Member

Just a query really- my take has been just to get a fair price for kit that's surplus and cover costs/help other bikers out.
    I've noticed a frame I sold a week ago has changed hands twice in the meantime and is now listed at twice the price I sold it for!!
    Not sure whether to be miffed or not!

rolfharris
    Free Member

I just use it to shift stuff, but I can be a serial bike tart.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

No issues at all with the bike tart angle- most of us are looking for the bike that will do the tricky bit that the current bike won't without any thought about it being the inadequacy of the rider but it's the idea of people trading on other biker's goodwill to make money that feels wrong

taka
    Free Member

🙄

soobalias
    Free Member

not the first time, wont be the last

name and shame the profiteers.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

It is a bit annoying. I got a cracking deal on a frame, paid 300 for it. Didn't get on with it and sold it on for the same cos I'm a nice chap. The tosser that bought it then tried to sell it for something like 500. Under a different user name, presumably so I wouldn't notice…

Leku
    Free Member

see what you mean… from £100 to £180

for a large Charge Duster eh..

ahh the wonders of 'search'

geoffj

Charge what it's worth to you. Where does this community / mates rates / doing a good turn nonsense come from?

I would perhaps consider selling at mates rates to a handful of posters on STW because I have met them and consider them to be a friend but for everyone else, its what it's worth I'm afraid.

If I'm stupid enough to sell something too cheap, and someone else sees it as an opportunity, then fair play to them. IMHO.

Just my 2p worth.

soobalias
    Free Member

dibbs on that.

i know i can get a pound for it.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

GeoffJ- surely the whole STW forum is a step up from ebay??
    I notice you have asked for peoples views /advice and even offered your own before so surely you see the forums as a little more than a potential money making opportunity?
    I was happy with the price I got for the frame so don't consider myself 'stupid' and dont for a moment think whoever is now trying to sell it will get that amount but cannot help feeling disappointed with the mindset of some people- anyway no more hippy mentality- who wants to buy Geoffj's 2p worth for a fiver!!

geoffj

Pop – sorry, I didn't mean to infer that you were stupid. You obviously aren't.
    It would be great if the classifieds could be used in the way you have suggested – to help others out etc.
    Unfortunately, IME there are too many folk who will just take advantage and try to make some easy money from other folks generosity or mistakes.
    It is a step up from ebay, but only just.
    Apologies again for any offence caused.

Oh and my 2p must be worth at least 4p now. 😳

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

the number of people on there who have never posted on the forum is what pisses me off. Can we not have a post limit before you can use the classifides, some foums set this at 100!

julianwilson
    Free Member

…amazing what goes through the classified on here and ends up on ebay too. When this subject has come up before a few more regular faces than me have talked about there being a number of people they will not deal with on classified for this reason. The worrying thing is if a casual internerd like me can spot it, there must be plenty more lurking on here who I wouldn't have a clue about.

Nevertheless Pop, I have a feeling you could have sold your frame to someone else on that thread who would have also sold it on but covered his tracks better. *waves*

Turnoisier
    Free Member

Not sure about having to have contributed a certain number of posts before you can use the classifieds. Racking up 100 posts would be very easy whether or not you wanted to turn classifieds trading into a personal business opportunity…

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Great – this old chestnut 🙂

Buyer and seller beware really

But whats wrong with the free market?

You can easily get a feel due to volume of sales for what your kits worth then its up to you to sell it for what you are happy with

And if you are dumb/desperate/naive enough to sell to one of the traders then again its up to the next buyer to see if their new (inflated) price is fair or not

I suppose the flaw in this is the newbie getting stiffed buying or selling by one of the 'names' emailing off board but hey its a bad world and it could be a lot worse than being ripped off on a web forum

Ive never thought of the classifieds as a money making concern before – but now weve had another thread it makes me wonder how many people make decent cash from the boards and more to the point how much do they make?

gingerflash

I remember selling an unused frame to a forum regular. Next month, after riding it a few times, he advertised the frame for sale. Not only was he trying to sell it (used) for more than he paid me (unused), but he even nicked the photos off my Flickr site to advertise the sale!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Everything I've looked at recently, the seller has no forum history other than them selling stuff, as said above. Although I'm not dead set against buying from them, it would probably put me off, just on the grounds of the higher probability of them hawking overpriced tat with no proper complaint comeback.

scaredypants

*strokes chin & wonders who julianwilson's waving at*

dual logins ?

julianwilson
    Free Member

Nope, just the one login AFAIK. But he did change his ebay name to one less like his STW login a while back, curiously soon after I 'waved' at him a bit too much on here. And made all his ebay feedback 'private' so you don't see how many bikes and frames he shifts anymore.

Of course, if you were that interested you could make him one of your 'favourite sellers' though ebay and could probably get a little fortnightly update of what he is selling. I do this for a few genuinely interesting sellers who i who I have bought quite a bit from, so it seemed such an insignificant little extra click to find out that he still shifts four or five bikes and frames a month…. *waves again*

If it wasn't him then who were you thinking of scaredypants?

scaredypants

I'm not here to think – I'm pitchfork monitor for the night

iamsporticus
    Free Member

With my own job in limbo and the rest of the world in recession am I missing a trick here?

How many people are making money and is it worth the hassle?

And while I think about it lets have a ……..

julianwilson
    Free Member

scaredypants – Member

I'm not here to think – I'm pitchfork monitor for the night

😆

…and no I think you would have to work really hard to make a whole living out of it, I can't imagine that after postage, ebay/paypal fees and so on you make that much on a frame or bike.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Reckon I must be doing something radically wrong – never managed to make a penny on anything I've sold 😕 . Just recently bought a retro frame off ebay for £25 plus £15 postage. Decided that I really didn't need the expense of another project so relisted it after a couple of weeks with a £20 start as I knew it'd end up costing me megabucks to rebuild it as I'd have liked. It went for £31 but by the time ebay and Paypal had taken their cut I'm back to the original £25 so at the end of the day I guess all I've lost is the postage cost – no biggie – I'd enjoyed cleaning it up and planning its rebuild and there was never any thought that I may have ended up making on the deal anyway, but how the heck do folks do it?

ton

mama d, i make loads when i sell……… 😉

mamadirt
    Free Member

Do you advertise as 'one careful lady owner' too Ton? 😉

timraven

I think, though I maybe wrong, that if I agree to sell something at whatever price then that's the price I think it's worth. Seems I wouldn't agree to that price otherwise?

Maybe that's bit too simple a concept here?

ton

timraven
    **** are **** too

Maybe that's bit too simple a concept here?

bigyim
    Free Member

I am guessing this thread is about my ad? So is the abuse being aimed at me or benny g who I bought the frame off? Just checking.

tinsy
    Free Member

Wheres Hora, he usually popps up about now on these threads and gets a massive ripping… 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I've noticed a frame I sold a week ago has changed hands twice in the meantime and is now listed at twice the price I sold it for!!
    Not sure whether to be miffed or not!

I'd be a bit miffed, personally, but you have to concede you got the money you wanted, and it might not sell for the advertised price anyway.

I never used to bother with selling on the STW classifides a few years ago, because I could get better prices on Ebay. But Ebay is a shadow of it's former self and the charges are ridiculous.

So now I advertise and sell stuff for less on here, bung the guys some dosh now and again when I've sold something big (Like a car…)
    I try to set a reasonable price compared to the "STW market value" and check what the CRC/Wiggle price is beforehand so I'm not ripping people off unintentionally.
    I did once buy a frame, use it for 6 months and sell it for about the same price, but it was already used when I got it, and in the same nick when I sold it, and still a good price. There's no harm in that.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Clarky
    I've just posted on your classified- the reason I didn't name anyone was because I don't know who has applied the large mark up (and as I expressed when I started the thread should I be bothered?) . Logic tells me that you have both added something to the sale but it seems a shame that nobody has actually ridden the thing- fair play if you bought it, rode it and then sold it but just turning a quick buck goes against what I thought the forum was/is about. As I said in an earlier post perhaps I'm too idealistic but it does disappoint me a bit.

takisawa2

If your hapy with what you've sold it for then why moan when someone else spots it as a bargain & sells it on ? That's up to them. Ethical…maybe not but it is a free market. If the buyer makes a shed load they should chuck a bit to STW by way of courtesy. If not, webcast them being subjected to the ducking stool / burnt at the stake etc.

If you want to make a bit of cash, & you've room to store one, go buy an old caravan over the next few months. A lot of people sell them around now, to avoid paying storage over the winter, then they buy another come the spring. We paid £800 for ours, exactly 2 yrs ago. Used it for numerous holidays etc, & sold it on a few months ago for £1600. Given the interest we could have got closer to £2k. The buyer drove 200 miles to pick it up.

Shandy
    Free Member

Turning stuff over in Classifieds is pretty lame in my opinion. Same for snapping up something that you are never going to use and bunging it on eBay.

This place should be different from eBay. There are no fees, the board is here for people to engage in discussion, share their knowledge, and improve everybody's enjoyment of riding their bike.

Given the advice that I have picked up/given here I would like to be able to sell stuff in the classifieds knowing that it is going to somebody who contributes to the forum, will use the item, and appreciate a bargain. Occasionally I would like to see something that I want or need, at a bargain price, that hasn't been snapped up by some loser so they can make money off it.

Make your money elsewhere.

bigyim
    Free Member

I bought it, have never ridden it. This is because I was offered the giant and would have preffered a full bounce which I said in my ad. So I have now ended up with 2 frames. If you look at my posts I have sold one thing, which is the frame. So I wouldn't say its fair to say I am using the forum to make money and rip people off. Also as none of you know how much I paid for the frame you don't know if I am making a profit, loss or just covering what I spent on it. So I feel ton writing that on my ad was a little unfair.

foxyrider
    Free Member

IME there are too many folk who will just take advantage and try to make some easy money from other folks generosity or mistakes.

Hmm thats life I am afraid 🙂

Shandy
    Free Member

Foxyrider its all very well to say thats life but if its something that most of the users on the forum disagree with then it shouldn't be happening.

If people want to post below ads thats fair enough, its a quick solution and it doesn't involve any extra work for the moderators. It also gives people like Clarky there a chance to respond.

If everybody is being open and honest then it shouldn't be a problem. If they're hiding something and they get called on it they deserve what they get.

Olly
    Free Member

its a free world, if they get more for it than you asked, more fool you i think.

i can however, understand the concept of "i dont need it, someone on STW would appreciate it, they can have it for blatently less than its worth" and then it getting sold for profit. i can see how thats irritating.

easiest answer to that i think, only sell it at a low low price to someone you trust, a stw regular,
    if its a noob, you suspect to be in it for the money, bump the price up?

some people my say THATS not fair.
    i say, until its sold, its yours, and you can do what the hell you want with it.

Speshpaul

I don't know if people are profiteering here. Its just the luck of the draw. If you buy X for £100 plus postage then you change your mind about it and want to sell it on, to get your money back. Then so its £110 plus a haggle margin so then its £130.
    Some one says yes they want it at the asking price, well you're up on this deal. Maybe next time you won't be.
    My advice would be the same for buyers and sellers, find out what its worth!
    And sellers when you've sold it, its not yours anymore, life to sort.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Foxyrider its all very well to say thats life but if its something that most of the users on the forum disagree with then it shouldn't be happening.

Yeh its annoying but how can you stop it – whats to stop someone buying your stuff then putting it on Enbay – no law against it is there? I expect that has happened to me in the past – if someone want to buy it then its their risk to get their money back or make money – Yhey maybe stuck with sommink they can't sell? Its the balance between charging too much and too little 🙂

But perhaps complaints about re-posting an obvious recent sdale could be moderted on here at least?

bigyim
    Free Member

Have now reduced the price in the ad. Hope this stops the angry mob knocking my door down 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Is the classifieds section there to make money?’ is closed to new replies.