Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Is the Cane Creek headset that came with my Roadrat broken or just rubbish?
  • Helios
    Free Member

The standard Canecreek headset (which doesn't seem to have any helpful numbers on it to identify it) has quite a bit of play in it, despite being brand new, and despite having been tightened up…

When I took it apart to try and figure it out, it seems to fit together really loosely – not like my Hope one which is rock solid even when you loosen everything…

Have I broken it, could it be missing something, or is it just junk?

Ta

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Is the star fangled nut far enough into your steerer and you've got enough spacers?

If you haven't got enough spacers or the top cap is just tightening against the sfn then the headset would still be loose.

Some headsets do fall apart more readily than others when you take them apart – doesn't necesarily mean there's anything wrong with it.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

If you can rule out what mtbtomo advises there may be play in your forks?

Helios
    Free Member

Hmm… Thought that there was enough space between the top-cap and steerer for it to tighten up… But looking at it again I've noticed the top cap has a recessed bit which may be wedging against the steerer… With another spacer on it appears to be working better – Thanks both – and appologies for such a daft mistake…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Is the Cane Creek headset that came with my Roadrat broken or just rubbish?’ is closed to new replies.