Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 136 total)
  • Is the C word the most offensive word
  • LycraLout
    Free Member

I’m going to go with peadophile..

mmmmm, fresh green underage vegetables do it for me

loddrik
    Free Member

Everytime I see the word paedophile I think of the hysteria a few years ago when the beying mob of ill educated Sun readers, I think it was in Portsmouth, attacked the home of someone who in fact were paediatricians, oh how truly truly pathetic it was…!

LycraLout
    Free Member

I got told by the senior nurse that we no longer use the “p-word” when referring to what are now called the children’s wards and theatre for precisely that reason

samuri
    Free Member

As with all words, it’s not the word but the intent behind it that’s offensive.

+1

I always assumed (probably incorrectly) all grown ups pretty much couldn’t care less about swear words. They can be a wonderfully eloquant and rich part of any language. It’s when they start being used deliberately to cause offensive that it’s a problem.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

So calling someone a ‘convicted paedophile’ is as informative as calling someone a ‘convicted homosexual’.

Except that a ‘convicted paedophile’ is someone who has been convicted of paedophilia. Paedophilia involves sexual crimes against children, who under UK law, are defined as persons under the age of sixteen. It isn’t even remotely simular to the sexual act between two consenting adult men. I find the thought that you apparently can’t distinguish between the two, rather worrying, and rather insulting to gay men.

Junkyard
    Free Member

what ernie said and imagine you have to choose either a homosexual or a paedophile to babysit who are you picking? I suppose it does not matter as it does not mean anything troll surely.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

used the c-word once in front of my mum.

“why do you hate your job so much?”

-“my boss is a ****”

“do you have to use such language?”

-“Well it does describe him most accurately, so yes”

We both laughed.

BigJohn

I find the term “insert letter here” word odd. As soon as somebody says it, the word they are trying so hard to avoid pops up in the recipient’s brain. It’s just hypocritical. Newspapers like the Independent, and presumably others, spare us from the puritanical censorship and print Wayne Rooney’s (or should that be the WR name) observations in full.

But why are the things we’re fondest of the foulest swear words?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I like a good swearing session with selected family and friends, usually for comedic effect or to enforce a point or strength of feeling. People who just swear as part of their normal vocabulary, I assume are of low intelligence or badly brought up. I’m not offended by swearing, just judgemental depending on the circumstances it’s delivered.

Used without due context, it’s certainly vulgar at best, however…..

Used in suitable context, it can be a very effective word……

Mrs STR has no objection to the word in question being used in certain environments, *cough*!

Paddy Considine’s use of the C word in one of the early scenes of Dead Mans Shoes is exquisite to the extreme – powerful, effective and emotive.

In short, I think it’s a fantastic word, but has to be used in the right place, otherwise it just becomes another foul and derogatory swear word. If you need to put a point across and it’s justified though, no word is better.

You might all well know by now – not a lot offends me.

maxray
    Free Member

The f word can be used in a positive context … F yeah it was ace. F look at the size of that it’s f ing amazing etc.

The c word on the other hand remains in the realm of a proper swear word… And mighty effective it is too!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Used without due context, it’s certainly vulgar at best

Surely it’s when it is used in its correct context that it becomes vulgar ?

CountZero

I must admit that I was a little surprised, and taken aback, when Calamity Jane dropped the ‘C’ bomb in Deadwood. I think it was the fact it was a woman saying it that sort of shocked me a bit. Still, considering the sheer quantity of colourful profanity on Deadwood, it’s not really surprising it got used by somebody. And Al Swearingen has to be one of the most appropriate character names ever.

ernie_lynch – Member

Surely it’s when it is used in its correct context, that it becomes vulgar ?

What’s vulgar about it’s correct context? I suppose it depends on an individuals perception.

As a sexual word in the right environment, it can be a stimulus.

As a swear word in a highly charged environment, it’s an effective means of communication.

Used flippantly to describe the quoted poster for example, it could be construed as vulgar, however relevant it may be.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

What’s vulgar about it’s correct context?

Well I wouldn’t recommend your missus uses it at her next hospital appointment with the fanny mechanic.

maxray
    Free Member

As a sexual word in the right environment, it can be a stimulus.

Lol!

For her or you?

KT1973
    Free Member

In Scotland it can actually be a term of endearment.
    “Isn’t that Billy over there at the bar?”
    “Aye, you’re right it is. He’s a good cvnt Billy”

Well I wouldn’t recommend your missus uses it at her next hospital appointment with the fanny mechanic.

But then that wouldn’t be in the correct context, would it – or not at least my perceived view of the correct context anyway.

Oh, and she doesn’t visit the fanny mechanic.

And just out of interest ernie – do you have a Mrs?

@ Maxray – both 😉

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

And just out of interest ernie – do you have a Mrs?

No, she gave me the elbow ’cause I kept going on about her ****.

she doesn’t visit the fanny mechanic.

He comes round ?

Lol 😉

user-removed
    Free Member

Hahaha! Does a fanny mechanic use screws? Does he utilise big tools? Does his workshop have a back door? Etc, etc, ad nauseum – I could literally go on all night….

My father in law finds it endlessly amusing to insert the word ‘whooring’ into sentences, e.g., “The rain’s hoorin’ bad the day” (said in an Aberdonian accent). Actually, I do too.

philconsequence
    Free Member

its one of mrsconsequences favourite words

i hardly ever use it, but then i still cant bring myself to swear in front of my parents out of respect even though they both swear like any other normal adult.

tazzymtb

fanny mechanic

it had better not be Gavin from auto glass coming to fill her crack with “special resin”

mansonsoul
    Free Member

I use the male c-word all the time, and once had a great conversation with a feminist and realised there was no decent reason that the female c-word is any more offensive, so I use that when I want to too.

konabunny
    Free Member

I find the term “insert letter here” word odd.

STW does it. TBF, I understand that a lot of corporate firewalls/net nanny programmes will block access to websites that have thrown a few F!s and C!s in it. Presumably in the old days it was prudishness/customer preference but now there’s also a reason to not use it so that all your potential customers can access your website.

I see to remember getting a week on the naughty step from here for “attempting to evade the swear filter”. Instead of writing the word that rhymes with cluck, I had prefixed the letters -ark with an f (or something similar). 🙁

glacier79
    Free Member

When I was backpacking through queensland, australia, the ‘c-word’ was often times used by the locals there as a term of endearment much to the amusement of my mates and I.

Yeah it’s bad and all, but it isn’t half satisfying calling someone whose annoyed you in some way one.

mudshark
    Free Member

There was a TV series about words a few years ago and they had an episode on the c word. Germaine Greer encouraged it’s use.

A had a gf who never swore except when excited when she would gently encourage me to f her c.

iDave
    Free Member

f her c = feed her crisps?

anonymouse
    Free Member

Swearing is all about creating shock. It’s therefore best to avoid too much of it lest the impact is reduced. A good potty-mouthed rant from somebody who rarely swears is much more effective than it would be from someone who swears with every other word. For that reason the c word should be stored up for maximum effect when it is needed. If it’s used regularly we risk a swear word arms race in the search to recover that lost shock-value. I shudder to think where that would lead.(Although p-flaps is a personal favourite).

anonymouse
    Free Member

Are crisps iDave compatible?

Trimix
    Free Member

I dont find any words offensive.

Its actions that matter – words are just too flexible and simply ignored.

It does seem quite irrational that some can be considered more rude than others.

Cougar

I understand that a lot of corporate firewalls/net nanny programmes will block access to websites that have thrown a few F!s and C!s in it.

Leading to “the Scunthorpe problem.”

molgrips
    Free Member

Even if you swear all the time it’s easy to change the tone so people know the difference between friendly swearing and nasty swearing.

richmtb

I used both the “c” word and the “mf” word on Sunday when my pedal parted company with its axle half way up a hill at Glentress.

Somtimes gosh darn just doesn’t cover it!

Dibbs
    Free Member

(must admit, the line in Kickass raised an eyebrow, though)

Especially when said by an eleven year old girl 😕

Cougar

Somtimes gosh darn just doesn’t cover it!

To paraphrase Billy Connolly,

“if you can give me a non-sweary alternative to f- off, I’ll gladly use it. It certainly isn’t ‘go away’.”

gonefishin
    Free Member

(must admit, the line in Kickass raised an eyebrow, though)

Especially when said by an eleven year old girl

You know I really never understood the problem with that especially when the scene immediately following said expletive shows the same eleven year old slaughtering a group of drug dealers. No one ever seems to have a problem with that.

trailmonkey

the thing about the c word is that, yes it’s pretty offensive to just about all the women i’ve evr meet – but –

there are times when only the c word will do

yossarian
    Free Member

lol at whoever reckons southerners are rubbish at using it. Londoners make it an artform, particularly south of the river !

seosamh77
    Free Member

c**t is a term of endearment or an abusive term:

Aye, he’s a good c**t

See him, he’s a pure c**t.

depends on the usage..

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 136 total)

The topic ‘Is the C word the most offensive word’ is closed to new replies.