Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)
  • Is that how folk are setting their shifters and levers? Looks a bit odd to me!
  • rockhopper70

Just looking at the new MBR front cover. These brake levers look to be mounted really really inboard. Presumably this is to allow one finger braking on the “notch” of the lever. Does it mean you have to alter your grip to shift gear???? Looks like it but surely not?!?!?!

_tom_
    Free Member

That’s what I do as it allows for more leverage with 1 finger. It’s not really that much of a pain to move your hand a bit to shift.

rockhopper70

Have you seen the image on the cover? Yours are like that?

carbon337
    Free Member

put shifters in between levers and grips – simples

br
    Free Member

Its less about to allow one finger braking on the “notch” of the lever and more about making it so you can hold onto the bar with 2/3 fingers yet still brake – and also not ‘trap’ fingers on the bar ‘cos you can set the lever closer.

_tom_
    Free Member

Have you seen the image on the cover? Yours are like that?

Not seen it but I thought it was pretty common practice to have them in a bit. Mine are about an inch or two away from the edge of the grip, then shifters inboard from them.

jedi

put brake and gears so you dont move your wirsts to operate them 🙂

trumplesneaker
    Free Member

I’ve noticed this trend too and am experimenting with a gap. May try the grip/gear/gap/brake setup this weekend, always one to copy others 🙄

shindiggy
    Free Member

My other half has his set like that, large gap for one finger braking.

loddrik
    Free Member

Fashion.

glenh
    Free Member

Always set my levers inboard of the grips. Otherwise I be pulling on the lever closer to the pivot than the end, which would be crazy.

brakes
    Free Member

it’s not fashion, it’s function
    more powerful brakes, more fingers on the bars, more control

amodicumofgnar

I thought MBR just did things like that to see how many people follow – M B Baaaaaaa.

iainc
    br
    Free Member

also you can move the 2 bolt shifters across the 3 bolt positions, makes setting the (inboard) brakes easier

chiefgrooveguru

I don’t know why anyone builds bikes up with the brakes outboard now that discs allow one finger braking.

gothandy

Moved my shifters between brake and grip at the weekend, massive improvement. Bit daft really as I did the 90km SPAM ride without more than a whizz around the car park test. But it was brilliant, pretty much brake and change gear at the same time.

bigant

Although the current XT shifters have an annoying ridge on them that assumes that you will run them inboard of the brake levers.

Brother_Will
    Free Member

I tend to run fairly large gap due to my freakishly large hands it gives me a bit more space and allows the brake lever to fall into a more natural position for me at least.

Ambrose

How about Shimano coming up with a design that would allow braking and shifting from a single unit? I’m sure it would be an instant success 😉

rudedog
    Free Member

Its handy this way if you have avid juicy 3 brakes – it means you can set it up so that when you brake you don’t crush the fingers holding the bar with the brake lever.

pitduck
    Free Member

mine are inboard, it helps with leverage 🙂

turboferret

This is how I have mine set up, works well for me

Cheers, Rich

toys19
    Free Member

yup got mine all set up for one finger braking, much better.

OCB
    Free Member

Mine (just visible here) seem to be quite a way inboard, by virtue of the bar shape…

MrNutt
    Free Member

Keep up at the back please, I would point out that it’s entirely dependent on set up, I use formula & SRAM on wide bars where as magura julies & SRAM on narrower bars are better suited to the trad method. Suck it and see.

Lionheart
    Free Member

I have not seen the mag but I think most of the bikes in the house have brakes set 4-5cms from grips with most having the shifters between grips and brakes. Needs the windows to come off most Shimanos but, Saints, XTRs X9 etc don’t have them and the XTRs (my fav) move along on their brackets so really adjustable. Some shift levers and grips don’t mix so well so that can need juggling.
    Reasons: as above, bit more leverage, one finger braking, levers don’t mix up with fingers on grips.

Lifer
    Free Member

Hooray for matchmaker, makes it easy to get it right

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I used to brake with my middle finger, was I wierd? Swaped t index finger braking to get the SRAM rocket shifters to the right position , they need to be mounted much more verticaly than Shimano or new SRAM IME. I can now brake wit 1 finger, shift with my thumb (or knuckle/index finger when climbing with my thumbs over the bars).

Haven’t tried running my levers closer to the bars yet though.

hels
    Free Member

“more fingers on the bars, more control”

If only it were that simple ! I find a death grip most unhelpful, and only have two useful fingers on my right hand anyway. One to hold the bars one to brake.

Fashion indeed.

timmys

Get the brakes right and worry about the shifters after that. I found Formula Oro levers and SLX/XT shifters to be a right pain (even with windows removed) – unfortunately that meant I had to buy some XTR shifters 🙂

highclimber
    Free Member

i’m a middle finger braker too. makes sense to me as it is my longest finger and stronger than my index.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I had mine like this on my old bike not sure how that relates to mbr as I havnt seen it but I have my gears inboard because I catch them with my knuckles and shift by accident otherwise. And there are the windows on my current shifters to think about too. I might try removing the windows and moving the brakes even further in.

DSC_0006 by i_ache, on Flickr

cynic-al
    Free Member

There’s no need or benefit to setting the levers inboard then the shifters outboard.

Fashion indeed.

molgrips
    Free Member

Dual control ftw. I miss it.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

There’s no need or benefit to setting the levers inboard then the shifters outboard.

Weaktroll.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Weaktroll.

Not at all – all you are doing is making your thumbs foul the gear lever, or that’s how it would be for me.

rudedog
    Free Member

“more fingers on the bars, more control”

If only it were that simple ! I find a death grip most unhelpful, and only have two useful fingers on my right hand anyway. One to hold the bars one to brake.

Fashion indeed.

You do realise you can vary the amount of pressure you grip things with?

“Oh I’m holding this hammer a bit tight, not to worry – I’ll just use the 2 fingers instead”

SamB
    Free Member

Cynic-al: Thumb for gears, index finger for braking.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Eh?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Is that how folk are setting their shifters and levers? Looks a bit odd to me!’ is closed to new replies.