Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Is Surrey Hills likely to be rideable at the weekend?
  • brooess
    Free Member

Or a muddy mess?
    Is there still much water lying around or has it drained well?

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

I went on sunday and it was definitely ridable as I did 36 miles around it but it was also definitely a muddy mess as well. there are a lot of muddy puddles. bkb was surprisingly dry though

njee20
    Free Member

It’s always rideable, but as above it will be a muddy mess. I’d avoid it, or rather I am avoiding it, I’d rather there were trails there in spring!

proflexforever
    Free Member

im always really surprised how well it rides even after a huge down pour…
    the fire roads are always pretty mucky..
    but the single track is usually fine.
    BKB was pretty much bone dry 4 hrs after some huge rain..

mattjg
    Free Member

Yes.

mattjg
    Free Member

Actually that depends on what you mean by “Surrey Hills”.

But by what I mean, yes.

bentudder

Summer Lightning is a bit puddley. But then we’ve not worked on it in a few years. Stuff that’s built to drain will drain.

mattjg
    Free Member

Bloody awful, because it’s stopped raining the clarts** has turned to claggum***.

It was better when it was wet.

** http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=bYUGzRha3A8C&pg=PA88&lpg=PA88&dq=clarts+claggum&source=bl&ots=Yv0Ja0TiRe&sig=6QorkEGg69gqouty6Ijkl5cSbRE&hl=en&sa=X&ei=M7zpUM3wLZOV0QWIm4CYBA&ved=0CGwQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=clarts%20claggum&f=false

*** a side effect of living with a North Easterner is words to describe different types of mud

gee
    Free Member

Did 82 miles on Thirsday and 84 miles on Friday off road round the N Downs/Surrey Hills last week. I was amazed at how well the trails were riding. A week of dry weather and an enormous amount of digging has done a lot to help. I didn’t ride the top section of Supernova as it was a swamp, as was the trail on Winterfold that runs down to the road climb back up – the one that comes out a bit down the road from Charlie Bronson. The section of woods above Barry’s by the reservoir is also being felled and so the two trails in there are both trashed.

It really is riding extremely well – I even noticed an improvement between the two days. Massive thanks to the trail pixies as you must have put in hours and hours up there on so many trails. Loving the rebuild on Evian and Curly Wurly.

Steer clear if it rains again, though.

GB

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

What’s happened to Evian?

Which trail is curly wurly? I think this is what I assumed was the T trails but never sure. And it was referred to in latest WMB trail guide?

Good to here that things are getting better. I was riding a little further West yesterday (Puttenham, Crooksbury, Bourne, Frensham and Hankley and it was still mixed with plenty of gloop among the sand!!!!

gee
    Free Member

The berms on the top section on Evian have been rebuilt and better drainage cut. The bottom section is the same.

I *think* curly wurly is the one that starts opposite the start of the T trails and goes down towards the top of the very steep fire road climb from Peaslake. All of the berms on that have been rebuilt and the bottom section improved to make it less of a fall line.

GB

deadkenny
    Free Member

As said, always ridable. Actually wasn’t as bad as it could be today. The worst is on the fireroads. Crazy thing is the place is busier than ever. Though I’ve noticed people seem to hit the trails more during wet winter than the summer which is odd, but suspect a lot of new year resolution riding was going on. So should be quieter next week 😉

joolsburger
    Free Member

I’ve never seen it so busy at the Peaslake/Pitch car park as it was yesterday, absolutely packed by 9am. I wonder why everybody chooses to park there when there are so many other places nearby? Trails were good though, much drier than I expected.

bentudder

Yep – busy as out there yesterday, including a couple taking pics on BKB (No, not those pics) and a family walking around on Parklife.

Puddles completely gone from Summer Lightning. Leith’s riding alright, if mushy in places.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Is Surrey Hills likely to be rideable at the weekend?’ is closed to new replies.