Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Is steel real or is it hype?
  • forexpipz
    Free Member

Just done my first xc ride on an inbred ss steel. Oh my god. The difference is night and day even at higher pressures.

The steal soaks up trail chatter much better than ally. Its a kind of smooth bump curve. A great feeling.

Is steel better than carbon for this?

ahwiles
    Free Member

yes!

no!

it depends…

(i don’t think my blue pig is particularly flexy/twangy/magic, it is very comfy, but that’s probably mostly due to the big tyre i can fit in the back, probably…)

faz083
    Free Member

night and day? really?! I just went from a rockhopper to a genesis altitude 853, and felt no difference whatsoever… Perhaps doing something wrong but it’s just no different.

timc
    Free Member

ahh the myth that aluminium can not be comfortable & all steel bikes are

Northwind

Aye… There’s a little basis to it but people take it to extremes and try to ignore the obvious exceptions. Frinstance I had an older Scandal, and it rode more like the stereotypical perception of steel than the Inbreds I’ve ridden did- quite a soft and compliant ride, whereas the Bred was fairly solid and dare I say it muffled and dead feeling. And my C456 likewise is springier and softer than a gaspipe 456!

Some steel bikes do have the character people obsess about- your Souls, R8s etc. So I make a pretty gross oversimplification here, and say that lightweight steel bikes ride like people expect steel to ride. But heavier duty bikes- your 456s, BFes, Sovs- are pretty damn solid.

Then there’s carbon, which tbh can be all things to all men, whippy as a fishing rod or solid as a telegraph pole.

leffeboy

Real

yodagoat
    Free Member

Its a rigid pushbike? It’s hype. You don’t see motorcycle chopper builders using reynolds tubing etc because its more “compliant.” If you want a comfy hardtail get a fatter tyre. Your bike will become compliant straight away. If that doesn’t work buy a full bouncer.

doh
    Free Member

ah yes i can see the similarity between motorcycle and bicycle frame building 🙄

my steel bike is noodly as hell in a good way but i can see that just about any material came be made to flex or be stiff it’s how it’s used

yodagoat
    Free Member

yer ring. I bet you’ve got those fancy pneumatic tyres too? Its a push bike.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

recently gone back to steel for my hardtail. amazing difference, haven’t been back on the ally bike since. dont think i would buy another ally frame now

Bagstard
    Free Member

It does depend on the frames in question, but landing a jump or drop heavily is much less unpleasent on a steel bikes.

aldo69
    Free Member

i went from at GT to a ragley blue pig and hated it, it felt very heavy and rode so different, i have gone back to my GT. for me it is all down to personnel riding style ETC.

Pete.

Paceman
    Free Member

Steel is real, but not all aluminium frames are made equal, some have a similar feel to steel when designed that way. It’s certainlystrain simple night and day difference between the two frame materials.

A well designed carbon frame is the best of both worlds.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

My first steel bike original inbred was way nicer to ride then my slide drop out Inbred. The slide drop out Inbred was dead by comparison.

Then I got an unpainted, just varnished Summer Season 456. whilst it was better to ride than the SO Inbred it wasn’t as nice as the original Inbred.

Steel is real but it just depends upon the frame build I guess.

oldgit
    Free Member

My 853 Inbred was lush compared to the XTC hardtail I was also riding at the time.

I also still have a good steel road bike that is ‘comfortable’ compared to the other road bikes I have which are Ti and Carbon.

I came to the conclusion that steel is a lovely ride, but a little too heavy to race nowadays.

coastkid
    Free Member

Its magnetic, so its real 🙂

matt_outandabout

Mine is nice blue, so it must be real and better.

Digger90
    Free Member

You think an Inbred is comfortable???? Mine was a jackhammer compared to many bikes I’ve owned – I got rid, quick.

Cheap gas pipe steel is awful no matter who’s brand it is. Good quality, expensive steel that’s well made is “Real” and is MUCH more comfortable than the cheapo stuff.

Mind you, good quality, expensive carbon that’s well made is “Real” too… and good quality, expensive Alu that’s well made is “Real” too..

i.e. a well designed, well made frame that’s made from high end materials will (usually) ride far better than an inexpensive frame that’s made from dirt cheap materials (no matter how well that dirt cheap frame is made).

2orangey4crows

In my experience, going from a cheap aluminium hardtail to a cheap steel hardtail there was a massive difference. If I’d gone to an expensive aluminium or carbon hardtail then maybe the difference would’ve been massive too.

roady_tony
    Free Member

real – as long as its not cheap.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I’ve got an inbred and a scandal. The difference? The scandal is lighter.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

Real. I’ve had four steel hardtails, and several aluminium ones. All were a bit different, and certainly one of the alloy bikes (a very nice Schwinn Moab) was plenty compliant, it felt like it had to be built too flexible to provide that. My trek was a rigid arse beater. I’m a big bloke but steel bikes just seem to be buildable in a way that gives the best of both worlds: comfy and zingy, yet not too twangy and fragile

charliedontsurf

I weigh almost 16 stone, and I find that helps make my alloy bikes flex like steel.

But my 853 SIR9 is incredibly noodly, you can set it up to sort of tank slap, by pushing the head tube one way, and then get the seat tube going the other. I won’t do this when you ride, but it illustrates the flex. Out on the trail it has never done anything weird, it just shrugs off a hell of a lot of the bumps.

Good steel is real.

Inbred456
    Free Member

My inbred456 was stiff as hell not much difference between that and my old giant ali hardtail. My 853 kili flyer on the other hand is sublime. Depends as much on design than just material type.

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

Fire and wind come from the sky, from the gods of the sky, but Crom is your god. Crom, and he lives in the earth. Once giants lived in the earth, and in the darkness of chaos, they fooled Crom, and they took from him the enigma of steel. Crom was angered, and the earth shook, and fire and wind struck down these giants, and they threw their bodies into the waters. But in their rage, the gods forgot the secret of steel and left it on the battlefield, and we who found it. We are just men, not gods, not giants, just men. And the secret of steel has always carried with it a mystery. You must learn its riddle, you must learn its discipline, for no one, no one in this world can you trust, not men, not women, not beasts… This you can trust. [points to his steel hardtail]

daveells
    Free Member

aluminium is real ,just doesnt rhyme with anything.
    😆

racefaceec90

to be honest out of the bikes i have ridden some steel/aluminium/ and a carbon ht there is some difference,but not huge.they all are harsh compared to a full sus,but all of them were compliant also (i did notice the frames soaking up some of the trail buzz).saying that though my current bike is a charge duster which i love (it is skinny tubed tange prestige,so it does feel comfy for a ht 🙂

Dibbs
    Free Member

I have 3 Whyte 19’s (Alloy, Alloy with carbon seat stays & Ti), I’m afraid I only got as far as picking up the Whyte 19 steel, it felt like it was made of solid pig iron. If “steel is real” = “weighs a ton” then I agree.

Edric64
    Free Member

A steel frame only weighs a pound or so more so im not sure the difference is that noticable in a built up bike

br
    Free Member

ah yes i can see the similarity between motorcycle and bicycle frame building

I can, for both disciplines they engineer in ‘compliance’. For example when a m/c is leaned over the forks aren’t really able to work fully therefore the frame is made ‘flexible’ to reduce chatter.

yunki
    Free Member

I agree 100% with what Stan said up ^^^ there..

I bought a 456, it was great whilst it was new, then I realised that it was a bit of a tank..
    I am currently experiencing the same ‘new bike syndrome’ with a soul, although the feeling isn’t going away.. the geometry between the two is noticeably different though..

before these two steel frames I rode aluminium bikes, but seeing as I had never heard of STW I never really stopped to think about a bikes handling, I just rode it, and it was good

zilog6128

IMO steel is the ultimate compromise material – you would only buy it cos you can’t afford carbon/Ti.
    I have a 725 cx bike and it is very comfy. Would have preferred Ti though!!

clubber
    Free Member

my fat tubed, alu Pace rc303 was more “comfortable” than the steel frame I swapped all the bits to. It’s almost as though there are other aspects than frame material to consider when looking at comfort…

For a start, the pace had a lot more seatpost showing.

The stiffest, harshest forks I’ve ridden were steel

None of my steel frames at present are particularly springy. Others I’ve owned have been.

frame material generalisations are stupid.

HermanShake
    Free Member

Al’s your pal (when he’s got a shock up him). Ti’s fly and carbon’s plastic fantastic.

Each have a benefit, which overlap into the other’s properties. As for bump absorption, I’d rather put my faith in suspended Al than carbon. Although the Chromag chaps have shown you can bang a HT around Whistler quite comfortably, I like the margin of error I have. Your limbs and technique have a larger role to play in bike control than frame material, not to mention build choice.

As for a HT, I quite like the feel of steel. The skinny tubes look cool in a sea of hydroformed spaceship tubing too!

sbob
    Free Member

Steel is a fantastic material for building bikes, but with big tyres and 4-6″ of suspension travel, aluminium does make sense.

If you want to see the difference between steel and ally, compare two fully rigid bikes.
    I rode a fully rigid ally bike in 1992, and in a few years time my wrists may have finally recovered.

Edric64
    Free Member

IMO steel is the ultimate compromise material – you would only buy it cos you can’t afford carbon/Ti

So why am I thinking about spending 2 grand or more on a custom steel road frame?

cookeaa

steel is just a material its not magic none of the other choices ate either, its more about what any given manufacturer does with it really.

TBH tyre pressure probably has a greater effect on general ride characteristicts for a bike than the frame material…h

colande
    Free Member

I think the biggest difference you’ll feel is in tyres,
    Not to say steel doesn’t have x and y but I find it difficult to feel any real difference.

The steel frames I’ve had are heavier than my ally ones so maybe they don’t chuck me about so much.
    To compare you’d have to have both frames built up exactly the same, and do a blind test. 🙂 hehe
    I doubt most of us would be able to tell.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13072745

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’ve a steel hardtail.

S’nice.

loum
    Free Member

Yes, it can be.
    But there’s so much variety. In both material properties- strength, stiffness- and cost.
    You can get good and bad frames in all materials, and “good” can be different for different people’s requirements. But with the other frame materials- aluminium alloys, Ti, and carbon fibre – the frame’s variation in quality mostly comes from the frame’s construction. The variation in material properties in the differnt alu alloys used in bike frames is not as large. They’re a pretty even bunch. Likewise Ti.
    But the variation in material properties between the low-end steel alloys used and the top end , like 853 and even 953 now, is much greater (cost too). Add in the build quality for the actual frames, and IMO, there can easily be as much variety between different steel frames as there is between steel and the other materials.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Is steel real or is it hype?’ is closed to new replies.