Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Is single speed fat bike missing the point?
  • root-n-5th
    Free Member

Hello,

I’m about to put gears on a single speed fat bike. I like a single speed and will still have one, but I’ve been led to believe that using the fat bike’s traction in a really low gear is one of their strengths. With SS my lungs and legs let go before traction.

So, should I continue to gear up or keep it simple? Hoping to use bike for some bike packing so the weight will be significant.

Cheers.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

It depends on where you are using it.? Here in north Devon gears are a must my fatty. If would be fine as a singlespeed on the beach and surrounding area but point it in the direction of Exmoor and gears are a must. In fact 1X10 was optimistic.

Trimix
    Free Member

You either use mechanical advantage to improve your riding efficiency or you enjoy the suffering on no mechanical advantage that’s mostly inefficient.

Your kind of in both camps with a geared fat bike.

daddyoe
    Free Member

I’m not sure I could get one moving without gears

tazzymtb

Depends what the “point” is, if its fun, then do whatever works for you. I’ve happily taken ss fat bikes all over the place, my diminutive better half rides a ss pugsley all over welsh stuff and trail centres and I have friends in America that race the Arrowhead and Iditarod on ss fat bikes and do very well indeed.

root-n-5th
    Free Member

I have ridden it a little SS and I thought it was surprisingly good, but it wasn’t very hilly. Love the idea of climbing walls in a low gear though. Fun is the thing I’m really after.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Depends on where you live.
    The sand and dunes are constantly changing near me and I’d hate to have just one gear when the going gets soft on the beach.

wwaswas

Gears on a fat bike are great for riding up absolutely anything but SS fat is good too.

Give it a go!

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

Depends on how fit you are, how you ride and what gear you have. I’m guessing most people will tell you you need gears because at the end of the day, most people wont be happy until they have 60t rears with 20t fronts (because the special hills where they live are bigger than anywhere else) and wouldn’t dream of standing up and giving it some welly up a hill. If you currently get on with your single speed then do a few test rides and see how you get on. For bike packing speed will be less of a priority so go with a slightly lower gear, 32-20? There is a lot to be said for simplicity.

John

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

Trimix, my rigid fatbike is comfortably faster than the vast majority of full sus bikes when it comes to pedalling efficiency. People still love to ride them on the blues at the trail centre.

John

root-n-5th
    Free Member

I think I’ll give it a go. Currently on 30×17 which might be a touch high for me. I did a ride the other week on my single speed swift and surprised myself just how much is rideable, how fun it is, and how a lot of the fear of being single is all in the mind. No beach work by the way, just mud and trails.

Fat and single, here I come. Will save the hassle of setting up all that gear stuff too.

Cheers.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Fat and single, here I come.

I’m already there….oh,you meant bikes 😳

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

Do it, don’t forget to show a bit of your hairy chest off and scoff at others who need gears! Pathetic! Haha!

(I should say I don’t ride SS and am therefore, pathetic)

John

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Is single speed fat bike missing the point?’ is closed to new replies.